Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2022: Bahrain GP - Sakhir (March 20)

03-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #991
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I actually think they would be doing the opposite right now, trying to minimize points losses during first quarter of the season. Make up for current chassis disadvantage with power. I mean they had Russ towing Ham around every qualy session. Also all the Merc powered teams were at the bottom of the running order. Are they all trying to save engines? I think the writing is on the wall and Merc no longer has PU advantage.

+1
Im pretty sure the power delta isn't as big as everyone makes it out to be, yes there is a delta but the trap speeds aren't as large as everyone thinks.

If you look at the quali trap speed chart I posted, merc is not too far off of ferrari, and the merc powered cars at their peak is right up there with the top. I'm thinking it is a chassis issue preventing the merc powered cars from getting a good run out of the corners to hit those trap speeds.

When mercedes solves the chassis issue I think they will be right up there with the top 3, and they absolutely have a chance of fighting for wins.
      03-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #992
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I personally don't think so because if we are assuming the M13 is at it's max right now, then the season is over Mercedes. Like I said in my earlier post, there is no amount of aero/bodywork that Mercedes can to the W13 to one catch up to Ferrari and Mercedes and two, add even more when Ferrari and Red Bull add upgrade packages in the season. I could be wrong and maybe there is a huge amount of stuff Mercedes can add or do but from the commentary, all the F1 analysts believe there is only so much Mercedes can do.

Mercedes already knows that they are the 5th and 6th fastest car right now and far behind Ferrari and Red Bull so unless HAAS or another mid-tier team becomes faster than Mercedes through upgrades, there is no reason to overexert the M13 if you know the car will still be slower than Ferrari and Red Bull. You run your current PU map safely and focus on the chassis until that's sorted out and then up the PU performance.

As for Williams, McLaren and AM, they all have their own car issues not related to the PU specifically.

I could be totally wrong and if I am, then Mercedes is not really in the running for any title and it's between Ferrari and Red Bull.
I think merc is running the engine where it should be, and not holding anything back. But I think the chassis is so terrible right now it is affecting their race pace and top speed. But if you look at the trap speed chart the delta isn't as bad as you think it is, and the mercedes powered williams is right up there at the top with redbull. So the potential is there, I think it is chassis related.

Look at mercedes vs. ferrari and mercedes vs. redbull the delta is not as bad as you may think. Then look at the merc powered teams and where the fastest one sits relative to the rest. The m13 isn't as bad as people think it is and I don't think mercedes is down on power. I think their chassis just sucks right now.

03-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #993
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
That's literally what I said power isn't the sole factor it is cornering as well.

So if you look at the total package ferrari is faster, but red bull has the top speed advantage, so it is the honda engine that is more powerful....
We'll see that soon enouch next weekend ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #994
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I don't think the arm is a real problem and the other quibbles will be sorted by next week for the other desert race in Jeddah.
I can 'not reply our PM . Your inbox seems to be full

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #995
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
We'll see that soon enouch next weekend ...
We saw that this weekend too, ferrari faster in the corners redbull faster on the straights. So if anything it is the Honda "jetmode" or whatever you call it.

But the honda pu might also be a gernade with its issues in the MGUK and Gasly's fire, along with its fuelling issues, and potential power steering issues - Yuki's alpha had issues with the power steering in testing.
      03-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #996
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I can 'not reply our PM . Your inbox seems to be full
All cleared now
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #997
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'm beginning to think it's a rout by the reds but as usual we saw only Max challenging for top honours with the rest way back.
Look, with the 18's mechanics sorted Lec won't have it so easy.
Quote:
Yup no clue, just speculation at the moment. A bent suspension bit is probably better than power steering rack issues.
Update ..Breaking !

Regarding the RB fuel pump failures :
Marko : It was really strange to see 'both of our cars DNF in just a couple of laps ..
Our both RB cars ...With the same Fuel pump failure !

Interesting fact is that 'all the fuel pumps from 'all the teams and cars are supplied by the 'FIA according the FIA article 5.11.6 technical regulations .
The FIA fuel pumps are actually a SSC-part (standard-part) for all the teams..

So why did the fuel pumps failed on our RB cars only ?

Meanwhile , for the moment both the fuel pumps are completely stripped in Bahrain !
Red Bull and HONDA started a deep going investigation regarding the fuel pump failures on both cars while the other pumps from the other teams are just fine ...
We have to figure it out ASAP , because this may happen again ..

'One of the Dutch article's => https://www.gpfans.com/nl/f1-nieuws/...rdeel-van-ons/

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #998
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
All cleared now
Roger that !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #999
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Update ..Breaking !

Regarding the RB fuel pump failures :
Marko : It was really strange to see 'both of our cars DNF in just a couple of laps ..
Our both RB cars ...With the same Fuel pump failure !

Interesting fact is that 'all the fuel pumps from 'all the teams and cars are supplied by the 'FIA according the FIA article 5.11.6 technical regulations .
The FIA fuel pumps are actually a SSC-part (standard-part) for all the teams..

So why did the fuel pumps failed on our RB cars only ?

Meanwhile , for the moment both the fuel pumps are completely stripped in Bahrain !
Red Bull and HONDA started a deep going investigation regarding the fuel pump failures on both cars while the other pumps from the other teams are just fine ...
We have to figure it out ASAP , because this may happen again ..

'One of the Dutch article's => https://www.gpfans.com/nl/f1-nieuws/...rdeel-van-ons/
There are 3 fuel pumps, only 1 is an FIA spec part, and mounting in the tanks vary. So it is most likely a redbull issue not a conspiratorial attempt at redbull like you make it out to be.

It's funny when things go wrong at redbull it is someone else's fault, but when things go wrong at mercedes it is absolutely mercedes's fault.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...DSqciwieUpAAAA

Hulk Smash1030.50
irunalot1518.00
Steeler2430.00
      03-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #1000
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
We saw that this weekend too, ferrari faster in the corners redbull faster on the straights. So if anything it is the Honda "jetmode" or whatever you call it.

But the honda pu might also be a gernade with its issues in the MGUK and Gasly's fire, along with its fuelling issues, and potential power steering issues - Yuki's alpha had issues with the power steering in testing.
Indeed ! That's why I'm saying , currently the Ferrari is and looks like perfection !

Mercedes and Red Bull have a lot 24/7 work to do ..

But Ferrari remains the master in the coming races !
As I said : The 2022 Ferrari is a World Champion car ..
Charlie can do that , but Sainz as well !

I just heard that HAM is really interested in Ferrari ..He got his eye on it !

Perhaps in 2023 ???

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #1001
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
There are 3 fuel pumps, only 1 is an FIA spec part, and mounting in the tanks vary. So it is most likely a redbull issue not a conspiratorial attempt at redbull like you make it out to be.

It's funny when things go wrong at redbull it is someone else's fault, but when things go wrong at mercedes it is absolutely mercedes's fault.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...DSqciwieUpAAAA

Read the article again ! Marko said It's the 'FIA fuel pump failure ..

I ?
I didn't said anything ..

Appreciate 1
M5Rick61831.00
      03-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #1002
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Read the article again ! Marko said It's the 'FIA fuel pump failure ..

I ?
I didn't said anything ..
You're implying it when you said how come it only failed on the redbulls but no other car, right after you said it was an FIA spec part.
      03-20-2022, 06:34 PM   #1003
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
You're implying it when you said how come it only failed on the redbulls but no other car, right after you said it was an FIA spec part.
Both failed on one team only, don't you find that strange at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #1004
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nope, it was because redbull never ran low fuel race simulations on an e10 fuel that is problematic on fuel systems.

This break down explains it:

Also redbull would be inspecting parts before they installed them, its most likely a major redbull screw up rather than a conspiracy.
irunalot1518.00
      03-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #1005
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Horner did speak on TV about the steering and thought it could have been a track rod or a an issue when the car was dropped off the jack. The failure of the car and the steering issue he said are completely unrelated. Maybe a component is a little more fragile that it needs to be and it will get beefed up.
I recall that during the lap after leaving the pitlane for a tire change VER notified encountering steering issues. If a rod got bent:
  • the team trains intensively on pitstops, but I can hardly believe that the physical force of the numerous 'car drops' exercised during each pitstop simulation, could cause long term fatigue (with the final pitstop being the straw that broke the camel's back); I don't know how frequently the peripherals for steering and suspension are (automatically) replaced;
  • but I do remember the VER versus LEC battle in lap 17: when I saw more fireworks sparking than usual when going over bumps, I somehow cringed and thought by myself: 'hopefully that violent encounter with track bumps won't cause any mechanical damage'; but that's mostly the rear end (while steering is front end);
  • I guess that Red Bull will also analyze whether driving over curbs could have caused any damage (I know that suspension damage is more likely than damage to steering peripherals, but never say never).
Name:  F1_Bahrein_VER_LEC.png
Views: 570
Size:  1.91 MB

Name:  F1_Bahrein_VER_LEC_2.png
Views: 554
Size:  2.66 MB
      03-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #1006
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Why do you waste ether replying to this entity. I have been following these threads for a couple of years and I can tell you with certainty that it is pointless.

Quote:
Like I said, why are you bothering to attempt reasonable conversation with this entity. It's like beating your head into a wall waiting for it to feel good.
Quote:
No. Both cars are new designs. Both are identical designs. ALL of the cars are new designs. It's pretty obvious that some teams got parts of the new design wrong (see Mercedes and McLaren). The part Red Bull got wrong is in the fuel delivery system. Please note that the fuel is new this year too, E10.

Red Bull will fix it. I just hope McLaren fixes it too. They were fighting for 3rd in WCC last year. It's a shame to see such a good team so far off the pace.
Appreciate 12
Hulk Smash1030.50
3798j11665.00
F87source7367.00
Steeler2430.00
Bongoxxx804.00
irunalot1518.00
minn1914078.00
Bartledoo2691.50
tdott3956.00
ptper589.00
      03-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #1007
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Amen.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:05 PM   #1008
Foghorn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI

I wasn’t able to watch the race until much later.

Clearly the two happiest people are Gunther Steiner and KMag, well done to all of the HAAS team, no doubt they’ve been celebrating, congrats!
Appreciate 5
minn1914078.00
irunalot1518.00
wdb4762.50
ptper589.00
      03-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #1009
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
...I just heard that HAM is really interested in Ferrari ..He got his eye on it !

Perhaps in 2023 ???
Nope, no thank you!!! We would accept Max tho
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:35 PM   #1010
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Why do you waste ether replying to this entity. I have been following these threads for a couple of years and I can tell you with certainty that it is pointless.

Like I said, why are you bothering to attempt reasonable conversation with this entity. It's like beating your head into a wall waiting for it to feel good.
No. Both cars are new designs. Both are identical designs. ALL of the cars are new designs. It's pretty obvious that some teams got parts of the new design wrong (see Mercedes and McLaren). The part Red Bull got wrong is in the fuel delivery system. Please note that the fuel is new this year too, E10.

Red Bull will fix it. I just hope McLaren fixes it too. They were fighting for 3rd in WCC last year. It's a shame to see such a good team so far off the pace.
It's something to talk about I guess, and is good practice to fact check things for when I peer review papers and present ideas at conferences.
irunalot1518.00
wdb4762.50
      03-20-2022, 08:44 PM   #1011
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quite the points disaster for RB there. Really behind the 8-ball now in regards to the Championship right off the bat, but at least they have the performance to get back in it.

Mercedes on the other hand, wow. What a shocking fall off in performance. Only the safety car saved them from being miles back at the end. :O
Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
      03-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #1012
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Congrats to LEC, SAI and Ferrari. Plus Haas/K Mag. Perfect start to the season! I did feel bad for PER.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00