Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i - controlling the exhaust valve.

10-18-2023, 04:45 AM   #89
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG View Post
Does the exhaust valve stay open permanently when coded?
Eg - I’ve noticed with sport/sport+ mode that the valve will open when the car is in park/neutral - but closes again as soon as drive is selected. Guess it opens again at a given speed/throttle input normally.
I guess you mean permanently with the engine running, it does close when the enigine is off. Mine behaves the same as yours when drive is selected in sport mode. I didn't check if it also does that in comfort mode but I will. Have you checked that?

Whilst I was checking this I did a cold start with the usual increased revs and increased exhaust sound. I always assumed the increased noise was due to the valve opening, but it was shut. After about minute the revs slowed down and the noise reduced, then the valve opened (due to the coding). Does your car do the same?

UPDATE: Just checked and it does close when comfort mode is in drive. I'll try contacting Bimmercode and ask if this is what is meant to happen.

Last edited by sjb993; 10-18-2023 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 05:51 AM   #90
MisterG
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, TVR Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
I guess you mean permanently with the engine running, it does close when the enigine is off. Mine behaves the same as yours when drive is selected in sport mode. I didn't check if it also does that in comfort mode but I will. Have you checked that?

Whilst I was checking this I did a cold start with the usual increased revs and increased exhaust sound. I always assumed the increased noise was due to the valve opening, but it was shut. After about minute the revs slowed down and the noise reduced, then the valve opened (due to the coding). Does your car do the same?

UPDATE: Just checked and it does close when comfort mode is in drive. I'll try contacting Bimmercode and ask if this is what is meant to happen.
Mine behaves the same in sport mode - valve stays shut until the initial higher-revs warmup is complete.

If the engine is already warm - and sport is selected before start, then the valve opens straight away for a (slightly) more enthusiastic blare on startup

I guess the coding may just get the valve to behave like sport mode whilst in comfort/adaptive.

Im holding back on any coding for now, saying as it looks like 07/2023 is starting to make its way out via OTA.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 06:10 AM   #91
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG View Post
Mine behaves the same in sport mode - valve stays shut until the initial higher-revs warmup is complete.

If the engine is already warm - and sport is selected before start, then the valve opens straight away for a (slightly) more enthusiastic blare on startup

I guess the coding may just get the valve to behave like sport mode whilst in comfort/adaptive.

Im holding back on any coding for now, saying as it looks like 07/2023 is starting to make its way out via OTA.
I had mine updated to 07/2023.45 when it was in for its first service last month - so the latest version doesn't change the flap behaviour.

I've sent a query to Bimmercode, but I'm pretty sure they don't claim that you can control the exhaust flap by coding in the Engine Sound iDrive menu option.

They do offer valve control via Bimmerlink, but you need to have the App connected via the OBDII port all the time for that. Just out of interest, I'll try that to see if it too closes the valve in D.

UPDATE: I heard back from Bimmercode, and the coding does make the valve behave in COMFORT/ADAPTIVE in the same way it does in SPORT/SPORT+ i.e. the valve only opens under certain load conditions. I had incorrectly assumed that in an uncoded car SPORT/SPORT+, the valve would stay open all of the time the engine was running. You learn something every day!

Last edited by sjb993; 10-18-2023 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
MisterG22.50
      10-18-2023, 11:23 AM   #92
POLYPOD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

valve controller

Has anyone tried the SST Exhaust Valve controller now available for €249 for the G20 / M340i?

You can have any one of four modes :

Sport mode: Flap(s) permanently open with sporty and robust sound regardless of driving situation and vehicle settings
Comfort mode: Flap(s) permanently closed with discreetly restrained sound regardless of driving situation and vehicle settings
Serial mode: Control of the flap(s) as before in the series configuration, e.g. for service, etc.
Freestyle mode: Flap(s) 50% open for individual sound and volume configuration

Here's the link to their website
https://www.sst-spezialsteuergeraete...2019-2021.html
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #93
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLYPOD View Post
Has anyone tried the SST Exhaust Valve controller now available for €249 for the G20 / M340i?

You can have any one of four modes :

Sport mode: Flap(s) permanently open with sporty and robust sound regardless of driving situation and vehicle settings
Comfort mode: Flap(s) permanently closed with discreetly restrained sound regardless of driving situation and vehicle settings
Serial mode: Control of the flap(s) as before in the series configuration, e.g. for service, etc.
Freestyle mode: Flap(s) 50% open for individual sound and volume configuration

Here's the link to their website
https://www.sst-spezialsteuergeraete...2019-2021.html
anyone fitted it? feedback ?
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #94
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I doubt it. That's a lot of money for something you can do yourself albeit with a bit less control.
Appreciate 0