Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2023 M340i g20 LCI Review - Tons of cost cutting, still the Ultimate Driving Machine

12-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #111
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
The battery will recharge some in Hybrid EcoPro, from coasting/braking. Depending on the length of the trip and the road conditions, maybe a kWh, (+/-).
Yes, but I wasn’t referring to that kind of charging.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #112
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
If you use Hybrid EcoPro alongside navigation, the car does a REALLY good job conserving battery for the non-highway portions of your trip.

We did a 140+ mile round trip this week (with an overnight), with about 3-5 miles of neighborhood/city driving on each end. We put it in Hybrid EcoPro and gave it our destination. The car intelligently preserved enough battery for the end of our trip -- each time, it rolled into our destination having just finished depleting the battery.

Obviously, I never drove a pre-LCI 330e with Battery Control, so I can't compare it. Having said that, if it will do that consistently without me having to think about a hold%, then it may actually be an improvement.
That is good feedback, I think pre-LCI 330e also has this adaptive mode using Nav/GPS data, so maybe BMWAG decides that is a better mode for customers than battery hold.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #113
BullitX
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI

What bothers me the most is that BMW is absolutely unclear to what they cut or is different in their LCI…
I even contacted BMW and they say that the LCI works the same with battery hold as the pre-lci with battery control, which is absolutely false… their local BMW people have absolutely no clue… BMW Germany has to do way better in their communication, at this point its straight up misleading and deceptive to be honest…
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:36 PM   #114
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Re first post

Wow I'm so happy with my pre LCI
Appreciate 4
Blubaron791436.00
Rawhide365.50
jfcbmw19.00
      12-12-2022, 07:35 PM   #115
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
Wow I'm so happy with my pre LCI
Pretty much sums up the last 6 pages.
Appreciate 2
jfcbmw19.00
      12-12-2022, 09:55 PM   #116
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for this post, I went with a CPO 330i instead of going with new. The laserlights are nothing short of amazing!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791436.00
      12-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #117
Kvally
Car Lover
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
This will be my first BMW ever, and I am excited about it. More excited than you can imagine. And even though the OP review has shed some negative, yet informative, light on my purchase, I will still plan to be happy with it. Hopefully the next time I buy a car after this, BMW (if I still go with BMW, assuming I enjoy the one that is about to be delivered to me) will have worked out those kinks and cost cutting measures.

Thank you for the great in depth review.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #118
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I don't see much real cost cutting going on here. The seat changes are due to supply chain issues. Compare it to the cost cutting measures from the mk7 > mk 7.5 > mk8 Golf for example, now that really is a downgrade across generations.

I can understand the infotainment changes being divisive though. Aesthetically it looks very good, but at the cost of usability. I think they could of gone half way and kept physical fan speed and temp buttons and there would be be far fewer complaints. They also didn't add the options you can get in Europe (carbon roof, M sport seats, acoustic glass) which is the most disappointing. At least let people spec a slicktop.
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2022, 12:42 PM   #119
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I don't see much real cost cutting going on here. The seat changes are due to supply chain issues. Compare it to the cost cutting measures from the mk7 > mk 7.5 > mk8 Golf for example, now that really is a downgrade across generations.

I can understand the infotainment changes being divisive though. Aesthetically it looks very good, but at the cost of usability. I think they could of gone half way and kept physical fan speed and temp buttons and there would be be far fewer complaints. They also didn't add the options you can get in Europe (carbon roof, M sport seats, acoustic glass) which is the most disappointing. At least let people spec a slicktop.
I think that's how a lot of us would feel though - if we want an option, let those of us who want it, pay for it. Mercedes-Benz has two versions of their LED ambient lighting package. If you want more lights inside, you can pay for it. Same thing with their headlights - if you want the better ones, you can pay for it.

I think with the LCI, that's what frustrating for me as an upcoming owner of one. BMW generously gave us things as standard on pre-LCI, but then took away having them on the LCI version...even if I'm willing to shell out the money for it.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2276.50
      12-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #120
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post

Coming from an MK7 GTI I can attest to that. I will say there's a huge disclaimer on the order tracking screen that says due to availability many features and items are not available. I think as a manufacturer BMW was probably forced to either have unreasonably long delays like other manufacturers, offer very limited vehicle supply with all the features that seem to be "missing", or eliminate/prioritize some features for certain vehicles or certain markets.

Not saying it's a good thing, just saying that it doesn't seem like BMW did this out of malice or as some sort of gotcha to consumers.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2276.50
      12-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #121
LousyShot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairdevyld View Post
Coming from an MK7 GTI I can attest to that. I will say there's a huge disclaimer on the order tracking screen that says due to availability many features and items are not available. I think as a manufacturer BMW was probably forced to either have unreasonably long delays like other manufacturers, offer very limited vehicle supply with all the features that seem to be "missing", or eliminate/prioritize some features for certain vehicles or certain markets.

Not saying it's a good thing, just saying that it doesn't seem like BMW did this out of malice or as some sort of gotcha to consumers.
I absolutely agree that the company didn't limit features out of malice but I will stand firm in the belief that the cost savings of fewer features could have resulted in a lower MSRP. The company removed cost for some unavailable options but they didn't really do much for standard features that weren't available (besides take the items off of the standard features list so that people less aware of what they were missing). I'm still a loyal fan of the brand but it comes with a little disappointment sometimes.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #122
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

I picked up my 2023 M340i on Friday. There’s a LOT to love about the new car, especially coming from a 2020 330i. The iDrive screen is beautiful, I love the new warning sounds and welcome sequence, Brooklyn Gray is stunning, Tacora Red vernasca leather looks awesome during the day, there seems to be more padding on the door armrests, I like the exposed stitch pattern of the Sensatec dash more than my previous car, and Driving Assistant Professional finally includes Automatic Lane Change in the US.

Having said that, I’d love to add my feedback too on the negatives compared to the pre-LCI.

-lots of headlight glare when auto high beams go on compared to the auto high beams with LaserLight
-iDrive 8 is kind of buggy. Even got a dreaded “camera malfunction” screen the first day of owning it. Anyone who says it’s so different to iDrive 7 is lying - it’s a reskinned iDrive 7 with a beautiful screen, but similar submenu layouts and the same kind of laggy Hey BMW assistant on it.
-lack of customizing BMW Maps blows. They need to add the awesome customizability of iDrive 7 back with an OTA update.
-Speaking of iDrive again, where TF is adding heated steering wheel under certain temps in the automated habits section? Why was that removed??
-What’s the deal with not being able to see MPG on the tach when in Eco Pro mode?
-carpet and floor mats are much thinner. It reminds me of my 2010 MAZDA3 I had back in college
-new keyfob, as OP said, is plastic. All of it. And it feels very chintzy compared to the previous metal key. Even the silver trim on it is just painted plastic now

Having said that, the drivetrain is perfect on this car. So much fun to drive, even in the city.

I’ll add more comparisons as I live the car. Thankfully the 2020 330i is still with us, so it’ll be nice to compare both side by side more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-18-2022, 09:36 PM   #123
BobTX10
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05, 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
-iDrive 8 is kind of buggy. Even got a dreaded “camera malfunction” screen the first day of owning it. Anyone who says it’s so different to iDrive 7 is lying - it’s a reskinned iDrive 7 with a beautiful screen, but similar submenu layouts and the same kind of laggy Hey BMW assistant on it.
I’ve never had a camera malfunction on my 2023 so guess it differs from person to person. Also haven’t heard anyone say idrive 8 is so different from 7. But isn’t that what an evolution of software is? Reskinning with different additions but maintaining core function. Like going from ios7 to ios8 on an iPhone.

Also what I think most people don’t realize is that you can speak naturally with BMW assistant for quicker responsiveness. Instead of “hey BMW… (wait for ping) … turn on heated seats.” You say “hey BMW, turn on heated seats” and it will respond more quickly. A lot of car reviewers wait for the ping and it has now become a common misconception.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:54 PM   #124
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTX10 View Post
I’ve never had a camera malfunction on my 2023 so guess it differs from person to person. Also haven’t heard anyone say idrive 8 is so different from 7. But isn’t that what an evolution of software is? Reskinning with different additions but maintaining core function. Like going from ios7 to ios8 on an iPhone.

Also what I think most people don’t realize is that you can speak naturally with BMW assistant for quicker responsiveness. Instead of “hey BMW… (wait for ping) … turn on heated seats.” You say “hey BMW, turn on heated seats” and it will respond more quickly. A lot of car reviewers wait for the ping and it has now become a common misconception.
Yes, that is what evolution of software is to an extent. But it’s weird how they reskinned it while removing features. Very frustrating.

Also I know that you don’t have to wait for the ping. I’ve had a car with the same feature for 3+ years. It was slow with iDrive 7 and it’s slow here with iDrive 8.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:58 PM   #125
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
I picked up my 2023 M340i on Friday. There’s a LOT to love about the new car, especially coming from a 2020 330i. The iDrive screen is beautiful, I love the new warning sounds and welcome sequence, Brooklyn Gray is stunning, Tacora Red vernasca leather looks awesome during the day, there seems to be more padding on the door armrests, I like the exposed stitch pattern of the Sensatec dash more than my previous car, and Driving Assistant Professional finally includes Automatic Lane Change in the US.

Having said that, I’d love to add my feedback too on the negatives compared to the pre-LCI.

-lots of headlight glare when auto high beams go on compared to the auto high beams with LaserLight
-lack of customizing BMW Maps blows. They need to add the awesome customizability of iDrive 7 back with an OTA update.
-Speaking of iDrive again, where TF is adding heated steering wheel under certain temps in the automated habits section? Why was that removed??
-What’s the deal with not being able to see MPG on the tach when in Eco Pro mode?
-carpet and floor mats are much thinner. It reminds me of my 2010 MAZDA3 I had back in college
-new keyfob, as OP said, is plastic. All of it. And it feels very chintzy compared to the previous metal key. Even the silver trim on it is just painted plastic now

Having said that, the drivetrain is perfect on this car. So much fun to drive, even in the city.

I’ll add more comparisons as I live the car. Thankfully the 2020 330i is still with us, so it’ll be nice to compare both side by side more.
Can you expand on the carpet comment? Are the included carpets thinner or do mean the actualy carpetted floor area is thinner/cheaper than pre-LCI?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:03 AM   #126
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Most of the shortfalls or issues OP is mentioning is more of a concern for those coming from a previous BMW.
I for one love the LCI. I do miss not having hard buttons for some features coming from a Genesis G70.
I wish the knee area of the center console was padded. And the door rest where your elbows land need a little more cushioning. My elbows feel a bit numb after a little while!
I also miss not having an active Lane Keep Assist. It only ping pongs back when it hits a line. My Genesis always kept the car centered over 60kmh. The BMW only does it in Assisted Driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #127
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
Most of the shortfalls or issues OP is mentioning is more of a concern for those coming from a previous BMW.
I for one love the LCI. I do miss not having hard buttons for some features coming from a Genesis G70.
I wish the knee area of the center console was padded. And the door rest where your elbows land need a little more cushioning. My elbows feel a bit numb after a little while!
I also miss not having an active Lane Keep Assist. It only ping pongs back when it hits a line. My Genesis always kept the car centered over 60kmh. The BMW only does it in Assisted Driving mode.
Ironically, you can option knee pad cushioning for the center console. It's an add-on M-Performance part I believe. One of the things I plan to add to my car over the summer.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...S-IN-ALCANTARA
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #128
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairdevyld View Post
Ironically, you can option knee pad cushioning for the center console. It's an add-on M-Performance part I believe. One of the things I plan to add to my car over the summer.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...S-IN-ALCANTARA
Yeah I didn't think it would be a big issue but after a 2,000km road trip last week, I definitely need it now!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #129
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Very happy with my 2020 M340i minus the user controled shit gas mileage

No hybrid for meee :-)

Still a great car for any LCI owners. M340 for the win
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 08:43 PM   #130
AlienInChicago
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i in 3 to 4 mths

Thanks for the post. Biggest pain in the neck seems to be iDrive 8. I'm driving a loaner '21 Audi Q3 currently and the UI is great. Awesome virtual cockpit and nice mix of real buttons including seat heating!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:19 PM   #131
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienInChicago View Post
Thanks for the post. Biggest pain in the neck seems to be iDrive 8. I'm driving a loaner '21 Audi Q3 currently and the UI is great. Awesome virtual cockpit and nice mix of real buttons including seat heating!!
I read somewhere that's about to change
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:13 AM   #132
prozzi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 vert

I bought a 2023 M340 LCi, I too noticed the cost cutting which surprised me since the car now cost more. Then my iDrive 8 screen stopped working on one side and they had to replace the whole screen. The advisor showed me the bill for the new scree, it was around 5,900. Maybe that is why they cut some cost to be able to put that type of screen in, he was shocked how expensive that was. I still love the car even with some features missing, there is not much out there that can beat this car for all around daily driver.
Appreciate 2
EXE462104.50