Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e finally ordered

09-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #111
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
There you have it, a plane trolley, you can then increase the capacity by lowering the first half if you need, but then it is not flat like in the photo.
Thanks,
If that's carryon size then it looks like 2 hold bags should also fit side by side?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #112
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
Thanks,
If that's carryon size then it looks like 2 hold bags should also fit side by side?
yes I think no problem, also there is still space on top of my bag. You could fit 4 of these trolleys, and still have space for more 4 soft bags on top of them. The size is more than enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #113
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Quote:
yes I think no problem, also there is still space on top of my bag. You could fit 4 of these trolleys, and still have space for more 4 soft bags on top of them. The size is more than enough for me.
actually, if you look at specs, 330e boot (375 litres) is very similar size to Ford Mondeo Hybrid boot (382 litres).
It is more than enough in Mondeo, should be really fine in 330

btw - I like the "pocket" in Mondeo, and I will definitely fold the boot floor in 330e - you put all your groceries there and they do not roll all over the place win
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #114
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Latest update from the Genius team:-

9620 At sea

So somewhere in the North Sea, getting closer 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #115
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post

9620 At sea

no update for me
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #116
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
Quote:

9620 At sea

no update for me
I'm still stuck on 5055. I think they've definitely run out of orange paint... :-) On the upside I do have a charger installed at home, presuming it works! ;-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #117
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

9620 At sea

no update for me
I'm still stuck on 5055. I think they've definitely run out of orange paint... :-) On the upside I do have a charger installed at home, presuming it works! ;-)
Ha ha, I'm now on 5100, at the body shop. Someone has clearly been to the local German Halfords and bought all the orange spray cans... :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #118
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Feel free to ask any question, the engine has a run in period of 2000 klms, max rpm 4500, so I won't push it much until then.

The only downsides for me right now is that the electric range with my driving is closer to 40 klms, and the car is too big for my taste.

The M adaptive suspension is not like in a 5 series, it is much harder, it is tuned in a much more sporty way, which I like. Also the exhaust is valved, which I didn't know.
Are you sure it's a valves exhaust and not just a different level of sound augmentation through the speakers?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #119
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Are you sure it's a valves exhaust and not just a different level of sound augmentation through the speakers?
No, the right exhaust pipe is valved. The engine turns on in xtraboost mode even in P or N (unlike in Sport mode), so you can rev it, but the valve is closed when the car is stationary, maybe it opens if you rev the engine really high.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #120
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
looks neat. will consider something as well actually
by the way, you went not for the threaded here, but just a charging socket outside.

could you provide contacts where you sourced this?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #121
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
looks neat. will consider something as well actually
by the way, you went not for the threaded here, but just a charging socket outside.

could you provide contacts where you sourced this?
So I was going to go for a tethered unit but the cables weren't long enough hence getting a socket instead. I've got a 10m bright orange cable which was about £200 but seems like nice quality.

I went with BP Chargemaster. No issues at all, easy to book, fitted me in quickly, were helpful with the paperwork and the engineer did a very neat job. It's quite a sizeable unit, you can get smaller ones but it does allow you to wrap a cable around the unit. You get a nice little app to monitor usage and you can disable power to the unit with a key. Cost about £450 (including the £500 Government grant). No idea if it works yet of course :-)

https://bpchargemaster.com/homecharge/
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #122
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

9620 At sea

no update for me
Ha ha, I'm now on 5100, at the body shop. Someone has clearly been to the local German Halfords and bought all the orange spray cans... :-)
Now on 5200 - Paint Shop. Systems still don't recognise my VIN. Guessing this may be when the body is stamped post paint...?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #123
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

9620 At sea

no update for me
Now on 5200 - Paint Shop. Systems still don't recognise my VIN. Guessing this may be when the body is stamped post paint...?
Now 5260 - Paint shop complete. Cracking on... :-)
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #124
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Feel free to ask any question, the engine has a run in period of 2000 klms, max rpm 4500, so I won't push it much until then.

The only downsides for me right now is that the electric range with my driving is closer to 40 klms, and the car is too big for my taste.

The M adaptive suspension is not like in a 5 series, it is much harder, it is tuned in a much more sporty way, which I like. Also the exhaust is valved, which I didn't know.
How does the Break-in period work? Does it matter that the gas engine may not turn on much in that 2K kilometers?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #125
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Congrats! You'll likely be completed assembly within the next 24 hours as happened for me at that stage. I'm across the pond so awaiting a carrier assignment to be sent to the US (530e instead of 330e).

My VIN is still not recognized, but my guess is that it should be within the next day or so since I just completed getting built today.
Appreciate 1
tricky6240.50
      09-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #126
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Congrats! You'll likely be completed assembly within the next 24 hours as happened for me at that stage. I'm across the pond so awaiting a carrier assignment to be sent to the US (530e instead of 330e).

My VIN is still not recognized, but my guess is that it should be within the next day or so since I just completed getting built today.
Hey thanks! I would have ideally gone for a 530e but just outside the band on my company car list, unfortunately. However given that the 3-series has grown about 10cms length-wise it is increasingly as big as a 5-series was a few gen’s back. We’ll get round the lack of boot/trunk space with a roof box for camping trips/airport runs. Should be fine. How long does it take for the journey to the US? Bit further than a “skip” across the North Sea! :-)

It’s fascinating to “see” the build process in action. I reckon they should set up a few web cams to allow you to see your actual car being “built”. I’d pay a bit for that! My kids were mesmerised watching some of the stock production videos, with all the robots working together on assembly. Quite something.

Hope your car arrives quickly!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #127
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey thanks! I would have ideally gone for a 530e but just outside the band on my company car list, unfortunately. However given that the 3-series has grown about 10cms length-wise it is increasingly as big as a 5-series was a few gen’s back. We’ll get round the lack of boot/trunk space with a roof box for camping trips/airport runs. Should be fine. How long does it take for the journey to the US? Bit further than a “skip” across the North Sea! :-)

It’s fascinating to “see” the build process in action. I reckon they should set up a few web cams to allow you to see your actual car being “built”. I’d pay a bit for that! My kids were mesmerised watching some of the stock production videos, with all the robots working together on assembly. Quite something.

For us coming from a 2014 Mercedes C300 (which is smaller than the current 2015+ C300s) the trunk is a bit bigger than what we have now with the loss for the battery bump. So that helps make it a bit easier for us. The 5 also appealed to us as it isn't as big as the E-Class Mercedes (and in the US Mercedes isn't offering the E-Class Hybrid).

The trip across the pond will take about 2 weeks! Which is a bit brutal after having already waiting so long. But we're very excited about the larger battery that is added for MY2020.

I was watching a plant tour video on YouTube from a few years back and what I found interesting was the BMW spokesperson giving the tour said BMW used to offer videos of the car going through the factory in the past for the individual customer. I have no idea why they would cancel that as I too would be very interested in watching that!

Thanks and I hope yours arrives quickly as well. Post pics when it does!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:33 AM   #128
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

For us coming from a 2014 Mercedes C300 (which is smaller than the current 2015+ C300s) the trunk is a bit bigger than what we have now with the loss for the battery bump. So that helps make it a bit easier for us. The 5 also appealed to us as it isn't as big as the E-Class Mercedes (and in the US Mercedes isn't offering the E-Class Hybrid).

The trip across the pond will take about 2 weeks! Which is a bit brutal after having already waiting so long. But we're very excited about the larger battery that is added for MY2020.

I was watching a plant tour video on YouTube from a few years back and what I found interesting was the BMW spokesperson giving the tour said BMW used to offer videos of the car going through the factory in the past for the individual customer. I have no idea why they would cancel that as I too would be very interested in watching that!

Thanks and I hope yours arrives quickly as well. Post pics when it does!
I will certainly do that, it's due to arrive at the dealer w/c 23rd September so hopefully will be able to pick it up some point that week.

I know in the dim and distant past that you could go to the factory to collect your car. I think in lieu of the delivery process BMW would fly you and a partner business class and put you up for a night in a hotel and give you a tour of the factory. Guessing with these days of containerisation and improved logistics it's no longer cost effective to do this. Shame.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #129
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
I will certainly do that, it's due to arrive at the dealer w/c 23rd September so hopefully will be able to pick it up some point that week.

I know in the dim and distant past that you could go to the factory to collect your car. I think in lieu of the delivery process BMW would fly you and a partner business class and put you up for a night in a hotel and give you a tour of the factory. Guessing with these days of containerisation and improved logistics it's no longer cost effective to do this. Shame.
Found this online but it isn't clear if you can book for a UK car. Interesting that they offer three levels of collection though.
https://www.bmw-welt.com/en/automobile_delivery.html

Separately have just got an update on my order
'Your vehicle has now arrived in the UK and is due to arrive at the BMW centre shortly. They will contact you soon to arrange a handover appointment.'

Hope to be able to collect it from Stirling next week
Appreciate 1
tricky6240.50
      09-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #130
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

9620 At sea

no update for me
Now 5300 - Pre assembly start. Anyone have any idea what this actually is/means??
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #131
Timbo8000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e w/M Sport Plus

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
I’m not sure exactly but I’d say what it means is your car will be built by the end of tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #132
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo8000 View Post
I'm not sure exactly but I'd say what it means is your car will be built by the end of tomorrow!
It's now at 5400, I think you may be right! :-) What status is yours now?
Appreciate 0