Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Rubber comparisons

04-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #23
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
What does everyone think of the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted as standard? For normal daily drives including freeways, bad highways, suburban doddling do you think they are great/good/bad/terrible??
Mine came with Pirelli P zero from the factory. They are pretty good. Wet weather grip is not as good as some Michelins I've had before in previous cars. I also think the Pirelli wears faster. One good thing with Bridgestone runflats is that they can be repaired when punctured. Pirellis are unrepairable and require a completely new tyre.
Pirelli RFT is unrepairable? Where did you get that from? So, not true. First hand experience right here.
I've had a long discussion about RFTs with the manager of a major tyre chain here in Australia (Bob Jane). It's what the tyre manufacturers recommend and they have to follow the rules accordingly to avoid legal liabilities. I'm sure RFTs can be safely repaired if not driven for long distance (or at all) whilst deflated, but here in downunderland, it's a bit of a nanny state when it comes to these things.

It may be possible to find some smaller tyre places that will repair them.
If you drive on a run flat for any distance without air as they designed then you will need to replace it. The tire will break down internally but it will get you to your destination. If you discover a leak and don't drive on it then it can be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #24
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
If you drive on a run flat for any distance without air as they designed then you will need to replace it. The tire will break down internally but it will get you to your destination. If you discover a leak and don't drive on it then it can be repaired.
So my idea is to carry a battery operated air-pump in the car (I bought this at a much lower price https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-w...xoCZaEQAvD_BwE) and if I get a flat, as long as it's not too fast, I can pump up periodically if I need to drive a long distance before getting it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #25
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
Waaa wat r u doing rocketing around at 300km/h firetitan
Also lower profile, crunchier ride
He has to get to Westfield in a hurry in a vain attempt to get some bog roll! The greater the need, the greater the speed!
might end up being very expensive bog roll
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitan View Post
Mate, whoever started the bog roll shortage should be bog washed repeatedly.

Both our Coles shelves are still empty unless you queue up at 6:15am on Saturday morning hahahha, have to get a hose soon...haahhaha

How is your Orange Baby

I am sure you are enjoying your home isolation...wink wink nudge nudge....
How do your Michelins feel, early days though , noise/comfort/handling
Agreed....and how about the guy who wanted to return 5000 loo rolls to IGA along with 600 liters of hand sanitizer? Not surprisingly, the IGA owner told him to F#@k Off! This guy should have been tracked down and publicly humiliated, prior to being prosecuted. We haven’t been able to buy toilet rolls for more than 7 weeks......the dogs are looking at their soft fur and getting nervous!

Yeah, the Orange Baby is just great. Loving it....although I haven’t managed to do much driving lately. Looking forward to some of the COVID restrictions being lifted.

I’ve covered only 300 km from new, but the tyres are very good as far as I can tell, without doing any spirited driving. Certainly, the road holding of the car is excellent. And I haven’t noticed any appreciable noise in the cabin from the tyres. They are definitely quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza that I had on my F30.
I’m running Michelin Pilot Sport - non-runflats.
      04-17-2020, 04:13 AM   #27
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Speaking of run flats
This is how you finish on Fridays
Still standing on 15psi.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:04 AM   #28
IM340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 640d; 2023 X7 M60i

that's why you need pressure sensors!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #29
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitan View Post
Ah thanks Bmwphile

How have they been and have you thought of changing to non run flats once they wear out or too much hassle?

Mine is only coming end of May so it's nice to know what tyres I would possibly be getting.

All these brands of tyres are already so expensive, so might as well get the best

I like the fact that the speed index is Y which is speeds up to 300km/h hahhaah, and that this is the highest speed rated tyre , this rating is even for Ferrari and Lambos !!
And also the P Zero's in 20 inch are also fitted to these cars , albeit with a bit lower profile so that's amazing.
Firetitan,

Gotta be honest I'm a fairly sedate driver, so the tyres' ultimate grip and handling is not as important to me as ride comfort and wet weather performance. On the former, the ride is so much better than on my previous F30 (also on runflats). On the latter, will have to reserve judgement until we get some real rain. Obviously, the ride comfort is also governed by the improved suspension (M Sport adaptive).

So.. happy with the Pirellis so will stick with these. Much prefer convenience of being able to keep driving after a puncture rather than having to bother with goo kits and/ or changing a tyre!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #30
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
So my idea is to carry a battery operated air-pump in the car (I bought this at a much lower price https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-w...xoCZaEQAvD_BwE) and if I get a flat, as long as it's not too fast, I can pump up periodically if I need to drive a long distance before getting it looked at.
That works.
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      04-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #31
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Speaking of run flats
Ouch! Nasty.
      04-18-2020, 02:37 AM   #32
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of run flats
Ouch! Nasty.
SiggggghhhhhhHH. Not the first time.
Only this time...there are apparently no Turanza T005s in the entire state!!?🤬
They all seem to holed up in South Australia so anyone living there kind enough to express post one to me?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:42 AM   #33
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They all seem to holed up in South Australia so anyone living there kind enough to express post one to me?
These tyres are all here in SA because we won’t buy them.
Actually, I have the non-runflat variety on my diesel Golf (dogs beach car) and they work just fine for what I need from them.

Are you serious about wanting a tyre sent to you by express post?
I could make enquiries on Monday.
      04-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #34
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
These tyres are all here in SA because we won't buy them.
Actually, I have the non-runflat variety on my diesel Golf (dogs beach car) and they work just fine for what I need from them.

Are you serious about wanting a tyre sent to you by express post?
I could make enquiries on Monday.
Oh. Unwanted??
Haha should be able to order and get by late next week 🤞
thanks though, very kind of you. Just annoyed coz getting to work is a road trip in itself
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #35
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh. Unwanted??
Haha should be able to order and get by late next week 🤞
thanks though, very kind of you. Just annoyed coz getting to work is a road trip in itself
Ok. No worries.
Good luck with getting your tyre quickly.
      04-20-2020, 12:31 AM   #36
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
aaargh sorry for jinxing you , No SUV4Me...maybe I should not of talked about tyres , my wife also just got a puncture a few days ago, I wondered why going over a speedbump caused the bottom to scrape !!
Fitted the biscuit wheel and off to Beaurepaires I went.
She only has a small car so $150 later....soo cheap compared to our tyres all was good
So that was why I was forward thinking and posted

Hope you find a new one soon
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #37
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Firetitan,

Gotta be honest I'm a fairly sedate driver, so the tyres' ultimate grip and handling is not as important to me as ride comfort and wet weather performance. On the former, the ride is so much better than on my previous F30 (also on runflats). On the latter, will have to reserve judgement until we get some real rain. Obviously, the ride comfort is also governed by the improved suspension (M Sport adaptive).

So.. happy with the Pirellis so will stick with these. Much prefer convenience of being able to keep driving after a puncture rather than having to bother with goo kits and/ or changing a tyre!

Hi Bmwphile

Yes those were my thoughts exactly, bit of a hassle finding the jack, jack point spare tyre , jacking it up
Just ride to the nearest tyre shop and hope they have your tyre in stock.
I suppose we could always buy an extra to store in the garage just in case.
But then we would need to buy an extra mag wheel as well and these seem to be quite expensive.
Thanks for the feedback on the Pirellis good to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:40 AM   #38
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed....and how about the guy who wanted to return 5000 loo rolls to IGA along with 600 liters of hand sanitizer? Not surprisingly, the IGA owner told him to F#@k Off! This guy should have been tracked down and publicly humiliated, prior to being prosecuted. We haven’t been able to buy toilet rolls for more than 7 weeks......the dogs are looking at their soft fur and getting nervous!

Yeah, the Orange Baby is just great. Loving it....although I haven’t managed to do much driving lately. Looking forward to some of the COVID restrictions being lifted.

I’ve covered only 300 km from new, but the tyres are very good as far as I can tell, without doing any spirited driving. Certainly, the road holding of the car is excellent. And I haven’t noticed any appreciable noise in the cabin from the tyres. They are definitely quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza that I had on my F30.
I’m running Michelin Pilot Sport - non-runflats.
Hi SteveAus

Yes he should be hung and quartered, wasted so much of my time going to multiple shops to shop for toilet paper for the parents and the family.
Don't shave your dogs...hhahah

Wow 300kms already that's great so nearly broken in.

Yup Michelins the gold standard , I think they put those standard on M2, so they must be very good

Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #39
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yehaaah! Yahhooo! WooooWooooo!
We managed to buy our first pack of toilet rolls in 8 weeks!
The dogs collectively breathed a sigh of relief...
      04-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #40
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yehaaah! Yahhooo! WooooWooooo!
We managed to buy our first pack of toilet rolls in 8 weeks!
The dogs collectively breathed a sigh of relief...
I know exactly how you feel Steve

To see a stack of toilet paper is like seeing a mound of gold..hahaha

Don't use it all at once
Appreciate 0