Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge ***2017 College Football Thread***

01-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #507
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I'd personally like to see the DivI conference champs represented
allows all the cinderellas in and you never know what will happen
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #508
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Pick your system, AP/UPI polls, BCS, current four team play-off, some suggesting eight team play-off, bottom line is some one will be left out and feel slighted. Go eight team and #9 will cry they got screwed... Heading toward participation trophies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the storm breaks View Post
4 team playoff is fine. The inconsistency with the selection committee is the problem.

Hell let #5 play #4 as a wild card round to see who moves on to play #1 for all I care. There's going to be a problem with any system, and the more teams you start to let in, the more average the resumes get.

Regardless, it's going to be 4 teams through 2026, so the tears will just keep on flowing.
I completely agree that 4 team is just the right number. Even as an Ohio State fan who's gotten the benefit twice and slighted once from being the 4th team.

Take care of business, play the right schedule, look good doing it, and you're in. No more excuses. Back in the BCS days, for some years, you were only allowed to slip once! At least the CFP format theoretically could allow you slip only once AND still play in the CFP. That's an improvement, evidenced by a 1-loss 4th seed winning it TWICE, and 1 and 2 seeds getting blown out.

Any more slots and you indeed are looking at participation awards. Just look at the travesty of the NCCA basketball tournament. Went from 64 for the longest time to 65, and then to 68...then rumors of 96 or 128 teams.

There are only 12 regular season games. Make them actually count for something instead of the NFL system. Lose a non-divisional game?... ho-hum, as long as we win 9...that's when you get guys taking week 17 off. There will ALWAYS be complainers for the team left out. You can have a 50-team playoff system and I guarantee you when Notre Dame finishes in 51st spot, they'll complain.

Frankly, I think the inconsistency of the committee is just fine, IMO. It makes for great tv and discussions and makes all this fun. And College Football Championships has ALWAYS been a beauty contest. If you want a formulaic approach, then that's the BCS right there. A known formula. Frankly, I'm okay with the BCS again, but with a 4 team playoff approach. The key issue with the BCS was the wide ranging differences of the polls and balancing and weighing each poll/ranking system.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-22-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #509
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I happen to think it was a travesty the BIG10 was not properly represented this year.
A ridicluous rematch of the SEC championship w/o giving other legitimate contenders a shot.. I'd even have felt better if they let UCF in there to see what they were made of instead of a same ole' game.
Just ridiculous decision making this year .. and once again the call to an 8 team playoff because of flubs like this.

Ohio State got blown out by Iowa. They were a 2 loss team. The best team won it all. Again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #510
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyrayS2k View Post
Ohio State got blown out by Iowa. They were a 2 loss team. The best team won it all. Again.
Thats a conference win.. what I'm saying is the conference champs should square off in the playoffs
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #511
BabyrayS2k
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Thats a conference win.. what I'm saying is the conference champs should square off in the playoffs
That is not a requirement to make the playoff. The committee selects who it deems as the four best teams and obviously BAMA was the best team of all. Ohio State was not one of the four best teams and would have gotten worked by any of the four selected.
Appreciate 0