Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) G20 OEM Carbon fibre spoiler fitting

02-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
Akin1234
Rep
Drives: G20 320d M sport

G20 OEM Carbon fibre spoiler fitting

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the OEM CF spoiler for my G20 but I am struggling with the installation using 3M VHB tape. BMW suggest using Betalink which I am trying to avoid for now.

Has anyone had luck installing it properly using 3M tape? The spoiler just doesn't stick in the area pictured below. The gap is very minimal and the 3M isn't holding, almost like it's not making contact even when pressed down(tape is right on the edge). Any tips or tricks from anyone who has installed this exact spoiler using 3M?

I've installed many spoilers in the past with no issues but this one hugs the boot and more difficult with tape.

Any suggestions on what tape to us or how to install will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akin1234 View Post
Hi guys,

I recently purchased the OEM CF spoiler for my G20 but I am struggling with the installation using 3M VHB tape. BMW suggest using Betalink which I am trying to avoid for now.

Has anyone had luck installing it properly using 3M tape? The spoiler just doesn't stick in the area pictured below. The gap is very minimal and the 3M isn't holding, almost like it's not making contact even when pressed down(tape is right on the edge). Any tips or tricks from anyone who has installed this exact spoiler using 3M?

I've installed many spoilers in the past with no issues but this one hugs the boot and more difficult with tape.

The CF is bulged in that area, tape or Betalink will not fix CF defects.

If this is OEM then exchange it thru warranty.

Last edited by Encanto; 02-01-2022 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
Akin1234
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

The CF is bulged in that area, tape of Betalink will not fix CF defects.

If this is OEM then exchange it thru warranty.
It is indeed OEM. How would I go about explaining this to the parts department? I bought the part in December and only just had a chance to fit.

The only way to get that part to sit flush is by applying pressure. Even when test fitting it does not sit flush.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
It is indeed OEM. How would I go about explaining this to the parts department? I bought the part in December and only just had a chance to fit.

The only way to get that part to sit flush is by applying pressure. Even when test fitting it does not sit flush.
BMW OEM parts have a 2-year warranty; not flush fitment is a warranty issue. Show the spoiler photos or the actual car to the parts department of your dealership for the warranty claim.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Did you ever resolve this? I would also like to install this spoiler with tape instead of betalink, so the car is a lease.
      05-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Bump. How did you resolve this?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #7
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Anyone know what version of 3M VHB tape I could use to help secure the edge of the mud flaps I’ve just installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #8
Akin1234
Rep

I just managed to get a replacement from BMW so will try to use 3M again and see. If it doesn't work then I guess it wasn't a carbon fibre issue but more of a 3M issue. The only way left would then be betalink unfortunately
Appreciate 0