Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Issues you have noticed with your new 3(G20)

09-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #89
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Most of my issues are plastic creaking issues. I'm sure most cars have this but because of the quietness of the interior I can hear creaking clearer. Note that I'm a bit more pedantic that the average person.

98% it's perfect but I've been hunting them down and have been getting to know my interior and how this car is essentially clipped together (like most modern cars).

So far gummi flegr applied liberally along any friction points with felt tape seems to work. For now this seems to have fixed it and I'm sure the dealer would have done something similar but if it comes back badly maybe a new trim piece is required.

I have no idea why BMW uses such cheap hard glossy plastic at key points.

Over the last week the car has delivered some faint cracking and popping plastic tension noise from the shadow gloss black plastic trim on the B pillar on the driver's side. On closer inspection it appears that some of the plastic is very very slightly warped and very slightly misaligned (about 2mm. It looks worse in the photos).

I have been able to push it back a bit better but you can see the driver's side is not quite flush whereas the passenger side is perfect (it looks worse in the pics than it is).

You would probably never notice unless you looked (I never noticed until now) because its all black.

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem. The popping noise comes from the plastic rubbing the bare metal. The slight misalignment in the front b pillar black trim causes slightly more pressure on the rear door gloss black which caused some more creaking. If you push where my hand is it will pop and creak.

The fix is running felt tape under the lip and pushing it in as far as possible. See pics. This is completely damped any plastic tension pop on the rear door and removed about 85% of pop front the front trim. I can completely man handle the rear B pillar plastic trim without a creak. The front still creaks with strong hand pressure but it is much more damped.
Thats very interesting, creaking, mine has never ever creaked.
But now I will listen for it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #90
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

My sunroof has developed some rattling noise when going over uneven surfaces. It is really annoying in an otherwise very quiet and refined car (at least compared to all other cars I've owned to date). Happy to say it is much improved now with cleaning the rubber seals with some WD40 on a towel. I may ask the workshop to lubricate the whole mechanism next time I'm in for a service.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #91
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
My sunroof has developed some rattling noise when going over uneven surfaces. It is really annoying in an otherwise very quiet and refined car (at least compared to all other cars I've owned to date). Happy to say it is much improved now with cleaning the rubber seals with some WD40 on a towel. I may ask the workshop to lubricate the whole mechanism next time I'm in for a service.
I made the mistake of wiping the rubber seals of the sunroof 'dry' a few weeks ago so they were 'squeaky clean'. Holy hell. The entire roof section squeaked every time there was a tiny bit of body flex going around a corner. Gummi flegr fixed it immediately.

I thought I had movement in my sunroof going over uneven surfaces but it was just he sunvisor. I had a card in the car holder in the visor over my head and it means the visor is not 100% back (as in a few mm open) in the firm closed position causing it to vibrate very slightly over very bad pavement. It kind sounds like its coming from the sunroof. Maybe fiddle with the visor and make sure its firming back in the closed position.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #92
ClearSkies
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hi, has anyone else noticed the door handles seem to creak when gripped / pulled? Sounds like they may be made of plastic?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #93
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

They are plastic..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #94
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Steering wheel marks

Hi All

I just discovered a strange mark on the centre portion of the steering wheel at the 9 o clock position on the left hand side perimeter
It looks like a mark left when the steering wheel was being assembled
I used some leather polish and I think it's gone now
A interested to see if you have the same mark
If you look straight at the steering wheel you can't see it
You have to turn your head and look at the left side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:14 AM   #95
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Fuse box

Well it's taken 15 months to poke around here but there is a folded fuse map tucked away in the rear box - for those thinking of tinkering !
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-02-2020, 04:23 AM   #96
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi All

I just discovered a strange mark on the centre portion of the steering wheel at the 9 o clock position on the left hand side perimeter
Nope nothing on mine
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:33 AM   #97
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Hi All

I ticked the 'no extra marks on my steering wheel' option when I ordered mine. #Helpful
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #98
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
Hi All

I ticked the 'no extra marks on my steering wheel' option when I ordered mine. #Helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
Hi All

Hahaha forgot to include that in my checklist , together with the "Don't change the grille on my dream car " option
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      10-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #99
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Quote:
Hi All

Nope nothing on mine
Ah thanks for checking 😄👍

Here is a full pic of the strange triangle mark on my steering wheel funny I can only see it in the garage when the interior car lights are on , outside I can't see it

So here is a pic in the sunlight outside , mark has vanished hahaha

Ok that's what you get when you are obsessive about your car
I was looking at the pictures and I figured it out it's a light reflection off the black shiny plastic bit where the cruise control - increase distance button is ....Hahahaha
So that's why it vanished in the sunlight too bright no reflection , issue solved 😄👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #100
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Cruise Control Amazing ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Quote:
Hi All

Nope nothing on mine
Ah thanks for checking 😄👍
Hi All
Just took a trip to Kangaroo Valley yesterday
352Km's woohoo
First time I used the driver assist cruise control
It's absolutely fantastic , steers for you , accelerates and brakes for you and maintains your set speed.
Seriously you don't need a driver any more hahaha if this is Level 2 autonomous driving , level 4 must be incredible .
Adds so much to your safety , I drove back at night and it really helps keep in the lanes and you don't have to worry about your speed
I did disengage a few times when I had traffic merging lanes and when I saw a car brake suddenly in front of me
I am sold , will use it all the time now !!
For the first hour I had my foot hovering above the brake just in case , but it was flawless , those cameras and radar are really great
So impressed that technology has come so far and plays such a big part in reducing driver fatigue and road fatalities .
First time I have ever used this tech so just amazed !!
Can't imagine what Tesla has done I hear you can just summon the car from your phone and it will come fetch you outside your house no driver hahaha
Good work BMW😄👍
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #101
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

In the US the driver assist will also change lanes on the highway (tap the indicator and it will move when space is available), and stop / start at traffic lights (either out now, or very soon).

I thought I would mention that I've had some annoying parcel shelf rattles, especially since upgrading the audio. My car is over 12 months, so the dealer wasn't overly keen to investigate. Turns out, there are some black clips that come through and you can see from the boot. Most of these were super tight and couldn't move, but two were very loose. I literally taped them down tight with electrical tape so they don't move, and so far, no more rattles. 30 sec job.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #102
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
In the US the driver assist will also change lanes on the highway (tap the indicator and it will move when space is available), and stop / start at traffic lights (either out now, or very soon).

I thought I would mention that I've had some annoying parcel shelf rattles, especially since upgrading the audio. My car is over 12 months, so the dealer wasn't overly keen to investigate. Turns out, there are some black clips that come through and you can see from the boot. Most of these were super tight and couldn't move, but two were very loose. I literally taped them down tight with electrical tape so they don't move, and so far, no more rattles. 30 sec job.
That's interesting. Where are these clips?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #103
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

If you open the boot, then look under the parcel shelf you'll see the black clips sticking through. Impossible to miss. Some wiggled for me, so those are the ones I attacked with tape.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:17 AM   #104
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Speed Camera warning

Hi All

Was just wondering do our cars have speed camera warnings ?
In my wife's Mazda it speaks to you and warns you about speed cameras and school zones which is very useful
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #105
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All

Was just wondering do our cars have speed camera warnings ?
In my wife's Mazda it speaks to you and warns you about speed cameras and school zones which is very useful
Pretty sure my car doesn’t warn me of speed cameras. Hasn’t done so to-date and I’ve not seen anything pertaining to this in the BMW SatNav.
I think the remedy for this at the moment is to use Waze or Radarbot on your phone or with ACP.
      10-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #106
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Pretty sure my car doesn’t warn me of speed cameras. Hasn’t done so to-date and I’ve not seen anything pertaining to this in the BMW SatNav.
I think the remedy for this at the moment is to use Waze or Radarbot on your phone or with ACP.
Ah thanks Steve

Yes i thought that was the case, pity though , it would of been a good heads up.
Appreciate 1
Bmwphile148.00
      10-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #107
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Head Office
Your comms is too late
All done already
The mail is not only snail but snail-eaten too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #108
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

And This!
Sad and irritating at the same time

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26784427
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #109
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Ghost Hooter

Hi All

So car was started and I was in the car
Noticed the clip on the rear parcel shelf for the middle seatbelt had come loose
So put the car in park, handbrake up and got out of the car , all of a sudden the car hooted at me hahah...

So just wondering was that a feature , maybe its to warn you about something ,can't think what though , first time this has happened 😄
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #110
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

OK, so finally I'm able to go for longer drives now that the restriction zone has been increased here in Melbourne.
This has provided me with the opportunity to notice that my G20 has some serious reflections. Some of the silver trim around the vents, and the spokes on the steering wheel reflect sunlight right into your eyes.
I also noticed this when looking at the side mirror
Attached Images

Appreciate 0