Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD, BM3, Mission Tunning or JB4

10-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #67
plopez12808
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Well now I'll have to go look at mine but considering a basic Mission Performance Stage 2 is putting down a safe 470ish wheel, 525ish crank...we might need Alex to bump up the values just for fun.
I'm in for MP in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #68
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Is the Mission Performance flash available for the 2021 m340 yet?

I think I read that the DME has to be sent in on the newer 2020s and I'm assuming all the 2021 models, but I was wondering if they were doing the 2021's yet for sure.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #69
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

I think I read that the DME has to be sent in on the newer 2020s and I'm assuming all the 2021 models, but I was wondering if they were doing the 2021's yet for sure.

Thanks guys.
I read the my 21 ecu's are different and can't be cracked as they use a totally different encryption. Let us know if mission say they can do it bc ecutek said they couldn't a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #70
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
I read the my 21 ecu's are different and can't be cracked as they use a totally different encryption. Let us know if mission say they can do it bc ecutek said they couldn't a couple of weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

Thanks guys.
So yes and yes - and while not speaking for them here is what I gathered on this when I discussed the 2021 issue with Mission Performance/Alex (BTW great guy to get on the phone folks)

And while he holds his cards close to his chest - he always has some nuggets to share for those that ask.

Just the objective facts:
  • Bosch did indeed recall ECU's for most all manufacturers and sent out new ones
  • Speculation is once again they have a new chip lockdown that will need to cracked before a flash tune can be loaded - the MP B58 flashes are ready to go just need to make sure it can be inserted into the DME with the new unlock
  • Mission does not see this as an overwhelming challenge after-all they have been the first globally to crack every B58/S58 ECU to date
  • Alex has purchased a new shop car specifically to get his hands on the new ECU and hybrid technology
  • With the arrival of Mission Performances X5 45e in just a few weeks we will see real world MP platform development for both the 2021 ECU equipped cars and hybrid

Really fun and interesting things happen when Alex has a new daily driver that he can tinker with

Hope this helps...

MissionPerformance in case you care to share more detail or I spoke out of turn

Last edited by chenry; 10-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: tagged MP
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #71
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
So yes and yes - and while not speaking for them here is what I gathered on this when I discussed the 2021 issue with Mission Performance/Alex (BTW great guy to get on the phone folks)

And while he holds his cards close to his chest - he always has some nuggets to share for those that ask.

Just the objective facts:
  • Bosch did indeed recall ECU's for most all manufacturers and sent out new ones
  • Speculation is once again they have a new chip lockdown that will need to cracked before a flash tune can be loaded - the MP B58 flashes are ready to go just need to make sure it can be inserted into the DME with the new unlock
  • Mission does not see this as an overwhelming challenge after-all they have been the first globally to crack every B58/S58 ECU to date
  • Alex has purchased a new shop car specifically to get his hands on the new ECU and hybrid technology
  • With the arrival of Mission Performances X5 45e in just a few weeks we will see real world MP platform development for both the 2021 ECU equipped cars and hybrid

Really fun and interesting things happen when Alex has a new daily driver that he can tinker with

Hope this helps...

MissionPerformance in case you care to share more detail or I spoke out of turn
Ok awesome, that's really good news. I have been thinking of mission performance, what does he say about the new scan that detects tunes even if they have been removed?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #72
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Ok awesome, that's really good news. I have been thinking of mission performance, what does he say about the new scan that detects tunes even if they have been removed?
I agreee - it is really good news for all the '21 owners and hybrid people too

My 2-cents re your question
Just like a piggyback a flash can be detected - it's just a matter of how the dealer goes about detecting them. With the flash it's more pro-active vs the piggyback. But rest assured there is no hiding.

But presently it doesn't really matter in that the warranty rules still apply and unless a specific failure can be attributed to a modification the warranty remains in tact. Good news is with a responsible stage 1 or 2 from a reputable tuner (or piggyback provider) you are not seeing any B58 failures going back to 2016 when you only had piggybacks to choose from.

And despite rumors started by a few people there is no pro active voiding of warranty with leases, finances or purchases so we can put that one to bed (even BMWs lease docs do not support this - I shared this in another post)

And here is what Alex posted just the other day on the matter when it came up regarding the S58 engine
"Since day one on B58/S58, we have been able to hide the custom firmware so that BMW can not detect it during a scan and that was enough to stay under BMW's radar. But in August, BMW started using DSC/Key/MGU along with few other modules to read out your G force acceleration data. They use that data to detect if your specific vehicle has accelerated faster then it was designed to. So now, as of August, no matter what type of modification you have (flash tune, piggy back, or jet pulling you), you WILL get flagged for tuning.

That being sad, remember that it is BMW's obligation to prove that this specific modification has caused a failure you are trying to fix under warranty before they can deny part of that said warranty."

Direct link to the thread containing the aforementioned quote here:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1736339&page=5

Hope this helps
Appreciate 2