Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Test Drive of M340i

10-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Test Drive of M340i

Have been eyeing getting an M340i and finally test drove one today. I'm coming from a 2018 330i with the B48 engine.

Some things I first noticed was the improvement with the steering feel compared to my F30. Really nice and heavy. The interior was also very nice and the seats were very comfortable and the inside felt more roomy. The drive was very comfortable and did a much better job at keeping the outside noise out. I had to roll down the window because I want to hear what the engine really sounded like and I was very pleased. Infotainment system definitely confused me but the large screen was nice and I'm sure I can learn it. Plus the car just looks so good with the lines, much better in person than what I've seen from pictures.

I do admit though that I was a bit underwhelmed with the drive. Again the sound was very satisfying but I felt as though I didn't get that wow factor when pushing the gas. I mean it's very fast, but I only knew that because of the speedometer. I was at least expecting that same feeling I get in my f30 of pushing the gas and you somewhat get a light throw back but I didn't even get that. It may be because I was being a little more reserved since it was just a test drive but I did put it in Sports Mode and took it down an empty road pushing the throttle. Hoping to maybe give it another drive before deciding.

Curious to know other people's feelings. What was your initial reaction to the first test drive? How do you current owners feel about your B58 after taking it out and pushing it on curvy roads and roadtrips? Really would like to hear from members who are also coming from an F30.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

The B58 is a gem. It's not a screamer of an engine but it's so smooth and refined. Paired with the ZF gearbox and it's the perfect combo. If you want more drama, add an exhaust (I had the M Performance Exhaust and it transformed the experience).
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Like Burrcold said, the B58 in the M340i isn't a brash engine. It's smooth. You do crazy speeds in it but you won't realise it until you look at the speedometer. The engine-gearbox combo is a gem (BMW are masters when it comes to tuning the ZF box).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      10-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Have been eyeing getting an M340i and finally test drove one today. I'm coming from a 2018 330i with the B48 engine.

Some things I first noticed was the improvement with the steering feel compared to my F30. Really nice and heavy. The interior was also very nice and the seats were very comfortable and the inside felt more roomy. The drive was very comfortable and did a much better job at keeping the outside noise out. I had to roll down the window because I want to hear what the engine really sounded like and I was very pleased. Infotainment system definitely confused me but the large screen was nice and I'm sure I can learn it. Plus the car just looks so good with the lines, much better in person than what I've seen from pictures.

I do admit though that I was a bit underwhelmed with the drive. Again the sound was very satisfying but I felt as though I didn't get that wow factor when pushing the gas. I mean it's very fast, but I only knew that because of the speedometer. I was at least expecting that same feeling I get in my f30 of pushing the gas and you somewhat get a light throw back but I didn't even get that. It may be because I was being a little more reserved since it was just a test drive but I did put it in Sports Mode and took it down an empty road pushing the throttle. Hoping to maybe give it another drive before deciding.

Curious to know other people's feelings. What was your initial reaction to the first test drive? How do you current owners feel about your B58 after taking it out and pushing it on curvy roads and roadtrips? Really would like to hear from members who are also coming from an F30.
I recommend trying the sport plus mode. It will be much more visceral than the sport. Sport is nice, but it still shifts a bit reserved and shifts early. You will definitely love the sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
If you want more drama, add an exhaust (I had the M Performance Exhaust and it transformed the experience).
Agreed! Once I added the M Performance Exhaust it literally did transform my M340i. Absolutely love it. Now my wife on the other hand.... lol
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      10-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
Agreed! Once I added the M Performance Exhaust it literally did transform my M340i. Absolutely love it. Now my wife on the other hand.... lol

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, Dinan Exhaust

For a more exciting experience definitely use Sport +

I have a 2020 M340i to replace my 2017 340i that was totalled in May courtesy of another driver. I had the MPPSK on the 2017 and missed it severely when I took delivery of the M340i.

When I ordered my 2020 I also ordered the Dinan exhaust and due to supply/COVID problems I had to wait several weeks after delivery to get the exhaust and get it installed. It gave me the opportunity to compare before and after very well. The stock exhaust is very quiet and reserved, even in sport mode. (You have to remember I was used to the MPPSK). With the Dinan exhaust, it woke up the driving experience for me. In comfort mode it has a very pleasing sound inside the car, very similar to the stock exhaust in sport mode. When you put the car in Sport + mode then the thrills really start. With either exhaust Sport + wakes up the responsiveness of the engine. With the Dinan, the exhaust note is addictive. It doesn't drone and is not obnoxious, just fun. Even in Sport + as long as you aren't hitting the throttle hard, it can still be quite quiet, but if you floor the car, all bets are off (especially with the windows rolled down going through a tunnel or under an overpass.

So, bottom line, Sport + to really wake the car up and Dinan exhaust to have some audible thrills.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, Dinan Exhaust

To answer your question more accurately!

To compare the F30 340i driving experience to the G20 M340i here are my observations. The car body definitely has a stiffer feel to it in terms of lack of slight rattles/creaks, etc. And yet, even with the 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the ride is way better in terms of harshness over road imperfections. There are several "bumps" that I used to cringe over in the F30 that are almost non events in the G20. And yet, the car still handles when pushed just like the F30 did. So bottom line, more comfortable in all modes, but still knows its way around a corner. The LSD is also a big plus for the G20 as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post

OP, first off please note: I love my car

Did you try xDrive or RWD? There is a substantial weight difference which translates into a bit sharper response on the RWD in my experience. Overall the main difference is in the launch, and the RWD is a bit more dramatic (a lot more dramatic in the wet in Sports+ If you're a straight-line guy, the xDrive is fantastic, for corners, go RWD.

+1 on the B58 and ZF being a gem. The smoothness means that you get in trouble real quick! Coming from an F-series car this may not be as big an issue for you, but both to have the most fun and to drive the car fast on backroads requires you to unlearn a lot of instinct from the earlier cars.

Whether in comfort or sport, the steering has no real feel (more than the F-series, way, way less than the E-series). Forget about it. Instead focus on the chassis flexing as you corner, you can feel everything through the seat. The steering is incredibly precise. Once you intuit how to "feel" the car, it's very easy to control and drive fast. Even the RWD has grip for days and the M-differential (LSD) lets you blast out of corners with better speed and stability than you'd expect!

Tires are also significant. I have the go-flat Michelin PS4S on the 19" staggered 792M and they are responsive and grippy in dry and wet. I recommend any 255/225 staggered setup on the M340i in general as there is a lot of power to put down for a 225 square setup.

For suspension, unless you're in the South or West with smooth roads, go adaptive. I did not, and while I am satisfied not specc'ing it is the only thing I have close to a regret with my build.

Hardest part for me was exiting a lifetime of manual cars. I wanted to shift with the paddles and was deeply unsatisfied how "slow" it felt (it's actually not slow at all!) After I "gave up" and let the car drive in Sports Auto I saw immediately that the car was happiest shifting her own gears and much sharper than I could ever be! I still play with the paddles from time to time but only for fun

After you settle down and live with the car, you realize that it can calm itself down to create a calm and relaxing luxury cruiser when you want it and instantly switch up to an aggressive mode when you want it. iDrive 7 (minus the irritating backwards tach) is very intuitive and the BMW Digital Assistant helps alot. Seating position and seats are great and comfortable for long trips. Adaptive cruise (part of Driving Assistant Professional) is one of those things you never thought you'd need until you suddenly have it!

As far as I am concerned, no car in its class can touch the M340i for the overall experience! The closest was the C43 and it was either too soft or too aggressive. The M340i is literally Goldilocks!

Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 1