Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Software update 2019/11.40 no pops and burbles

01-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
Frederik
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Software update 2019/11.40 no pops and burbles

Hello everyone,

I have now 11000 km with my M340i (belgium) and it's a great car!
From November i had some problems with te connected drive services and a reboot didn't solve it.
I had a call with connected services desk and they told me that i had to update my car (dealership).
On monday they did a software update from 2019/07... to 2019/11.40.
Everything works fine now, but i lost my pops and burbles...
Before i had burbles when i shifted down a gear or when i was accelerating hard and let of the throttle. Now i almost hear nothing...

So there is a big difference before and after the update...
It's quiter in the cabin, so maybe the ASD is not working. How can i check it?
I did also the exhaust mod, so the flap is always open.

The dealership said that the car needs to learn and that it will come back... I think it's BS.

Has anyone had this issue (EU version)?

Just before bringing my car into the dealership i did a refuel of the thank. But i always go to the same station, so i don't think it has to do something with it...

Thank you,

Best regards,
Frederik
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      01-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
dave330i2019
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I have a 330i (NL) from 12/2019 and had no pops & burbles from the beginning. The dealer told me it would come later. Now 5000km later I still don’t have it. So the learning part is indeed BS.
Software versions after 09/2019 don’t have the pops & burbles anymore.
This can be undone by a modification in the ECU, changing the ECU is like a chiptune.
How did you made the exhaust mod? Also by modify the ECU?
Modify a setting in the ECU will void the warranty here in NL. But if you already did this, I would modify it again 😉.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave330i2019 View Post
I have a 330i (NL) from 12/2019 and had no pops & burbles from the beginning. The dealer told me it would come later. Now 5000km later I still don't have it. So the learning part is indeed BS.
Software versions after 09/2019 don't have the pops & burbles anymore.
This can be undone by a modification in the ECU, changing the ECU is like a chiptune.
How did you made the exhaust mod? Also by modify the ECU?
Modify a setting in the ECU will void the warranty here in NL. But if you already did this, I would modify it again 😉.
There is slight pops and burbles in the 330i if you try to listen for it and have your windows down. If you rev it in parked and you are in sport mode, you'll hear it for sure. Give it a shot.

On the road it's nothing like the m340i though. You'll have to actively try to listen for it in the 330i if your driving.

My software is from 07.2019

But to OP, I think it was discussed here a while ago on a thread somewhere that people who were updating were losing the pops and gurgles in their m340i, so it's not just you. maybe someone else can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
My us m340i pops are the same on 11/2019.40 as they were in 3/2019, only in sport plus
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
michal.pta
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Ok.. So it looks like BMW has no mercy even to the m340i owners... Here’s the link to my thread describing the same in my 320i - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1668762.

So believe me - I know your pain... My disappointment when I got it from the dealer and realized that they disabled it in the new software version right before they assembled my car was huge... well, tbh it still annoys me...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

So wait, assuming you guys aren't talking about the cabin enhanced sound, you're saying that a software update affected the functionality of the exhaust system to limit pops and burbles? Isn't that the work of valves?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
michal.pta
Rep

Oh.. and that dealership talk about engine learning... and certain mileage that you need to drive before you can hear those... you are absolutely right. It’s BS.

Last edited by michal.pta; 01-15-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
michal.pta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
Isn't that the work of valves?
Taking into account that you hear way more burbles and pops in Sport/Sport Plus, it must be software controlled.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      01-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I think the pops and burbles is software controlled and is related to the ASD, atleast in the 330i. Reason being, when I bought the BM3 tune and went through the BM3 agent, I remember there was an option there to turn off the ASD but there was a warning as well stating that if ASD was turned off, the pops wouldn’t be heard. Which made me think the pops were fake noise and not real.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I think it's important to distinguish between iDrive software updates and ISTEP updates.

iDrive software updates shouldn't change drivetrain related items, but rather focus on actual iDrive software. I'd be surprised if the drivetrain was actually changed from the software being updated.

What likely happened is that the ISTEP was updated along with the iDrive software, which could have changed the drivetrain setup. There have been some posts about drivetrain changes after taking their vehicle into the dealer, whereas other folks haven't noted changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #11
alexm3forty
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

So does the newest software limit the sound or not? It would be ideal to get replies from both EU and US owners. That way we'll know exactly. Thanks guys
2013 X1 1.8d xDrive "E84"
2008 335xi "E92"
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm3forty View Post
So does the newest software limit the sound or not? It would be ideal to get replies from both EU and US owners. That way we'll know exactly. Thanks guys
I think the iDrive software would impact ASD, which is not a legitimate car sound, but manufactured.

ISTEP would impact actual drivetrain and real car sounds.

Please read above.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
Rednose_M340i
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Hello everyone,

I have now 11000 km with my M340i (belgium) and it's a great car!
From November i had some problems with te connected drive services and a reboot didn't solve it.
I had a call with connected services desk and they told me that i had to update my car (dealership).
On monday they did a software update from 2019/07... to 2019/11.40.
Everything works fine now, but i lost my pops and burbles...
Before i had burbles when i shifted down a gear or when i was accelerating hard and let of the throttle. Now i almost hear nothing...

So there is a big difference before and after the update...
It's quiter in the cabin, so maybe the ASD is not working. How can i check it?
I did also the exhaust mod, so the flap is always open.

The dealership...
Hey Frederik,

I live in Belgium too and since 1 januari my connected drive stopped working.
The dealer told me that if resetting the idrive doesn’t work, I need to bring the car in for an update..

Thanks to your post I am NOT going to do that!
Which dealer is your car coming from?
*edit: Nvm, i saw on your license plate holder garage Juma

The car needs to learn... yeah right
Hopefully you get your burbles & pops back somehow...
Keep us updated if you want

Last edited by Rednose_M340i; 01-15-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I think the pops and burbles is software controlled and is related to the ASD, atleast in the 330i. Reason being, when I bought the BM3 tune and went through the BM3 agent, I remember there was an option there to turn off the ASD but there was a warning as well stating that if ASD was turned off, the pops wouldn't be heard. Which made me think the pops were fake noise and not real.
They are real. Have someone rev ur car and stand near the exhausts.

Obviously a lot of it is amplified thru the enhanced sound inside, but there is pops and burbles even in the 330i in sport mode, just nowhere near what the m340i sounds like.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      01-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

Obviously a lot of it is amplified thru the enhanced sound inside, but there is pops and burbles even in the 330i in sport mode, just nowhere near what the m340i sounds like.
They are. I agree. I should’ve worded my response better. I meant some of it is probably fake sound or something like that since BM3 mentioned no pops and crackles if ASD is turned off.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #16
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post

They are. I agree. I should've worded my response better. I meant some of it is probably fake sound or something like that since BM3 mentioned no pops and crackles if ASD is turned off.
Got it. Yea I wish the pops and burbles were louder in the 330i, that would've been nice. And ofcourse they are more prominent in the M340i, that's a given.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:18 AM   #17
Frederik
Rep

I bought the car at dealership Juma, but i always go for service in Ginion Overijse.
So Juma doesn't know anything about the problem at the moment.
The software update is done by dealer Ginion.

My exhaust valve is always open and the sound changes if i put the car in comfort or sport / sport +.
So it must be software releated, beceause there is a big difference between comfort and sport + (sound).

The pops are real and comming from the exhaust (maybe they are inforced by the ASD, that i don't know).
But in the car (in the previous software version) i could here the pops comming from the right side of the car (where the valve is), so i heard them inside the cabin.
Now the pops on downshift are gone... When i release the trottle i hear pops, but very subtile.
In the privious software i heard them over the radio and felt them sometimes.

So there is a big difference and i'm verry disaponted...
The did a full update including software for the engine.

I called Ginion and mentioned that the learning stuf is BS and that they have to do something.
So they will call BMW to give me an explication, i'm waiting for there phone...

Keep you all posted!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #18
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Quote:
I bought the car at dealership Juma, but i always go for service in Ginion Overijse.

My exhaust valve is always open and the sound changes if i put the car in comfort or sport / sport +.
So it must be software releated, beceause there is a big difference between comfort and sport + (sound).

The pops are real and comming from the exhaust (maybe they are inforced by the ASD, that i don't know).
But in the car (in the previous software version) i could here the pops comming from the right side of the car (where the valve is), so i heard them inside the cabin.
Now the pops on downshift are gone... When i release the trottle i hear pops, but very subtile.

I called Ginion and mentioned that the learning stuf is BS and that they have to do something.

Keep you all posted!
I wonder if it’s possible to put a older Istep back on to get the pops back
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarny View Post
Quote:

Keep you all posted!
I wonder if it’s possible to put a older Istep back on to get the pops back
Can't go back
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
Frederik
Rep

I have received an update from the dealer and i will take the car in on 29/01.

BMW told them that there is indeed a change in the motor management and that the pops are not as loud as in the previous version.

They have given 4 parameters to the dealer that they have to adjust in de software and then the pops will normally be back.

Keep you all posted.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #21
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I'm guessing this pertains to non-US models only?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I think it's important to distinguish between iDrive software updates and ISTEP updates.

iDrive software updates shouldn't change drivetrain related items, but rather focus on actual iDrive software. I'd be surprised if the drivetrain was actually changed from the software being updated.

What likely happened is that the ISTEP was updated along with the iDrive software, which could have changed the drivetrain setup. There have been some posts about drivetrain changes after taking their vehicle into the dealer, whereas other folks haven't noted changes.
Anyone with 11/2019.xx had an iStep upgrade.