Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Anyone else endure a few weeks of soreness and pain getting used to the seats?

10-25-2020, 04:03 AM   #67
Oksana
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefantomas View Post
I got my new M340i in July and it gave me really bad leg and back pain from 15 mins after driving out of the showroom.

I considering get rid of it as it was so bad. However 3 months on and I find that having adjusted the seats I have finally found a comfortable position.

The leather does soften up and I only have the standard leather, but for me the biggest thing was to adjust the seats and then leave them for a couple of days to see if it is comfortable, dont keep adjusting it every 5 mins as I was doing.

the other thing that worked for me was I got in my wife's Audi, where the seat is very comfortable and looked at how it was set up, then set the BMW seat up the same way - ie tilt, height etc etc.

stick with it (although the seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the Audi S5 I just sold!)
That’s useful and reassuring thank you I will keep persevering!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:31 AM   #68
finn1969
BMW Fan
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M40

Garage List
2023 BMW  [9.00]
2016 Z4 3.5I  [6.00]
I have bad knees for nearly 30 years of military activity, and i have gotten out of the vehicle after a couple hours and could barely walk. The lack of movement really locks up my joints and I have had to find the sweet spot regarding seating. Using the cruise control helps immensely on the highways as it allows me to flex my legs. I came from SUVs so this is a bit new. Definately not the cars fault, rather just some positioning needed by the driver. The car is incredibly quiet, comfortable and at 38.6 mpgs at autobahn crusing speeds of 81mph, definately a capable and competent vehicle. Just have to adjust seating and perhaps stop more to relieve discomfort.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #69
Oksana
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Of those of you that found the seats uncomfortable at first that have now found a comfortable position, how long did it take to get comfortable?
And what was it that changed? Was it moving the seat to the right position? Or the leather softening? Or your body getting used to it?

I’m 1300 miles and 3+ weeks in and I’m still really struggling with around the clock discomfort, mainly in the neck now but back not great either. Before I got the car I was super fit and healthy, never had and back issues, so it’s all down to the car.

I’ve now had spacers put under the back of the seat to reduce the decline angle in the seat base which has eased the pressure on my spine and the leather is starting to feel more supple now but I can’t seem to get past the fact my body is twisted towards the drivers door so my spine twists to look ahead through the windscreen.

I desperately want the car to work because it is otherwise fantastic and also the financial hit of getting rid now would be sickening.. many many thousands of pounds. That said, the longer I keep it, the worse that hit gets. So I guess I’m hoping for some guidance on whether things will get better or not. My instinct says not as logically there is no fix for the seat being at an angle

Last edited by Oksana; 11-09-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #70
EYMD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

2021 330i - back pain?

I am test driving a 2021 330i with M Sport package and experiencing lower back/neck pain. I've reduced the lumbar support to be in lowest mode but still happening. I LOVE this car but this may be the straw that pushes me to Mercedes or Audi.

Wondering whether Oxsana's experience has improved since last posting?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #71
Gharris198
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i x-drive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
M340i - seat pain does not go away

My wife and I both drive 2020 M340i's and they're great cars, but I've been adjusting and readjusting the seat in mine since August, 2020 and I still can't find a position where I don't have really bad sciatic pain in my right leg within 2-3 minutes of starting to drive. I've had BMWs for 20 years and never had this problem. My posture is decent, I do serious core workouts at least three times a week, and I see a chiropractor. Nothing helps and I might just have to get rid of this vehicle.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #72
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharris198 View Post
My wife and I both drive 2020 M340i's and they're great cars, but I've been adjusting and readjusting the seat in mine since August, 2020 and I still can't find a position where I don't have really bad sciatic pain in my right leg within 2-3 minutes of starting to drive. I've had BMWs for 20 years and never had this problem. My posture is decent, I do serious core workouts at least three times a week, and I see a chiropractor. Nothing helps and I might just have to get rid of this vehicle.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance!
I had the exact same issue with right leg pain, right in my hamstring. Most of the posts in here are about lower back pain, but I haven't experienced that.

I recently found a position that has really alleviated the leg pain. I found that I had moved the seat much too far from the pedals and after scooting it up a fair bit, pushing the wheel back so my elbows are still slightly bent, and then tilting the bottom seat upwards, the pain is gone... Try it out. I feel slightly too forward in the cabin than I'm used to, but I don't expect all cars to be the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #73
spyder8213
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive

Seeing all these posts makes me feel better about the pain I've had adjusting to the M340i seats. Makes me feel better about what I'm experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #74
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Are the G20 seats substantially different from the G22?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #75
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
It took me about 8 months to find a comfortable seating position in the G20. To get the ergonomics right I had to increase the seat height more than I would like to and also have the seat more reclined. It now feels pretty good but I still prefer the driving position in my F30.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #76
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Are the G20 seats substantially different from the G22?
IDK, but they feel significantly 'firmer' than the Sport seats (w/massage feature) on Audi's S4, at least to me. I'm hoping they 'break in' over time. Mine are SensaTech, if it matters. Are people finding the same on the upgraded leather seating?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #77
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
IDK, but they feel significantly 'firmer' than the Sport seats (w/massage feature) on Audi's S4, at least to me. I'm hoping they 'break in' over time. Mine are SensaTech, if it matters. Are people finding the same on the upgraded leather seating?
Yeah, might be helpful to post up what seats people are actually on - sensatec vs leather, regular vs m-sport seats (not available in US but available in other countries).

In my G22 I haven’t had any particular issues and I drove it for 5 hours in one day the day after I took delivery. For what it’s worth, I have sciatic nerve damage already thanks to my local VA needling the nerve by accident while trying to help my back pain. So my right leg has some consistent pain and numbness right now but the seats feel perfectly comfy to me.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:10 AM   #78
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Lumbar Support option and Adjust/Adjust/Adjust

I found the seats harder than my G30. I now have lumbar support for the first time, helps a bit.. first long 2 hour drive really hurt, mainly thighs and cramp, 2 things solved it:

1. Raised the seat front up high so it held my thighs
2. Moved seat forward one click* at first I thought it was too close, but no

- Adjusted little bits at each stop until it felt perfect.

*Wife was in the back (first time I'd had a passenger in the back) and needed more space... turns out I was too far away

Did a 4 hour journey two ways (8 hrs total) and was absolutely comfortable

I had a G30 for 3 years without lumbar support, hurt after 4-5 hours, mush more cushioning.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #79
TG20
Rep

Hello All,
Newer to the forums and just took delivery of my 2021 g20. After 2 weeks Im still having back pain and I’ve tried all of these suggestions. With the lumbar completely deflated, I’m able to pin point it to where the issue is but idk what to do. Feels like the bottom left of the leather seat where the blue stitching is, it’s either too padded or the stitching is off.

I’m only 30, so I feel it shouldn’t be an issue but when I test drove the car 3 times, the seat was never an issue. Like someone else mentioned, i sat in the passengers seat and it is 100% comfortable. The lower left of the seat doesn’t have the bulge in the padding or stitching. Feels like a fist is digging into my lower back.

Anyone who has had the issue before still having the issue or has it kinda fixed it self over time ?

At this point I’m leaning towards selling it, it’s causing this much back pain. I have an appointment with the service department but the guy said he’s never heard of his before. So, guess I’ll have to see. Hopefully they too say the padding is bulging out but I doubt they will.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #80
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG20 View Post
Hello All,
Newer to the forums and just took delivery of my 2021 g20. After 2 weeks Im still having back pain and I've tried all of these suggestions. With the lumbar completely deflated, I'm able to pin point it to where the issue is but idk what to do. Feels like the bottom left of the leather seat where the blue stitching is, it's either too padded or the stitching is off.

I'm only 30, so I feel it shouldn't be an issue but when I test drove the car 3 times, the seat was never an issue. Like someone else mentioned, i sat in the passengers seat and it is 100% comfortable. The lower left of the seat doesn't have the bulge in the padding or stitching. Feels like a fist is digging into my lower back.

Anyone who has had the issue before still having the issue or has it kinda fixed it self over time ?

At this point I'm leaning towards selling it, it's causing this much back pain. I have an appointment with the service department but the guy said he's never heard of his before. So, guess I'll have to see. Hopefully they too say the padding is bulging out but I doubt they will.
What kind of seats do you have? Sensatec or leather?

Edit : Nvm, looks like you have leather seats based on the fact that you mentioned stitching. Have you tried adjusting side bolsters? Hard to say whats digging into your back but maybe easing up the side bolsters might help?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #81
TG20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datemike View Post
What kind of seats do you have? Sensatec or leather?

Edit : Nvm, looks like you have leather seats based on the fact that you mentioned stitching. Have you tried adjusting side bolsters? Hard to say whats digging into your back but maybe easing up the side bolsters might help?
Yea, leather. I deflated the side bolsters along with the lumbar support. Don’t know how to add photos but it’s not the backing of the seat or the side bolsters. It’s the stitching that goes from the headrests of the seat all the way down to the lower back but if the seat. On the left hand side only.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #82
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I'm sorry to hear some people are having such issues with these seats. I'm on the other end of the spectrum I think and absolutely love them.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #83
TG20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I'm sorry to hear some people are having such issues with these seats. I'm on the other end of the spectrum I think and absolutely love them.
Personally I think I just got a bad luck of the draw. When I test drove the car the 3 times it was fine before ordering. When I took delivery I didn’t test drive it again I just looked around the whole car making sure it was all there.

Wasn’t until I drove it home did I notice. The passenger seat is super comfortable, it looks the same as the drivers but idk if BMW makes the passenger seats differently then the drivers seat. Anyone know if they the exact same. Maybe I can swap out the two seats and put the passengers seat as my drivers seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #84
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Hi TiMSport, perhaps you can share any tips for how you set your seats up?
I don't get back pain with mine but have never thought they were very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #85
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

After two weeks, i am not noticing the extreme firmness of the BMW (Sensa Tech) seats. Also not noticing the standard suspension being so rough. From what i read before delivery I was in for a rude awakening on not getting the M adaptive suspension. And it did feel a little rough at first. Either I got used to it pretty quick, or it needed a few miles to 'break in'. Both are a non issue now, and very happy with the whole kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #86
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
Hi TiMSport, perhaps you can share any tips for how you set your seats up?
I don't get back pain with mine but have never thought they were very comfortable.
I'm doing nothing special in my case and simply adjusting the seats to a comfortable position for me personally. Unfortunately it's not likely to be useful to share an individual's seating position due to varying body sizes, height, weight, etc. I'm 5'10" for what it's worth so have plenty of room to work with. Not sure how it would be for drivers over 6'.

I haven't taken my car for any long drives yet, so maybe I don't have much to contribute in terms of long term use per se. I only know that compared to a number of other cars I've had, including the Audi S3 currently, the M340 is much better. Believe it or not, the seats in my Audi are manually adjustable, no power. For some reason the optional sport seats are manually adjusted. Go figure. Needless to say the full electrically adjustable seats are much more well, adjustable.

Most of the seats I have ever experienced are on the firm side and have been leather. However, this is the first time experiencing Vernasca which is a bit firmer than the typical Nappa leather seats I've had in multiple Audis, at least on the surface material. I don't mind it however, and in fact I think I prefer this feel. Some of it is also aesthetic as I love the contrast blue stitching on the black leather.

I wish that I could be more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #87
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
After two weeks, i am not noticing the extreme firmness of the BMW (Sensa Tech) seats. Also not noticing the standard suspension being so rough. From what i read before delivery I was in for a rude awakening on not getting the M adaptive suspension. And it did feel a little rough at first. Either I got used to it pretty quick, or it needed a few miles to 'break in'. Both are a non issue now, and very happy with the whole kit.
Personally I think the M adaptive suspension conversation is a bit overblown. You have driven Audis such as the S4 like me, and we both know those can have stiff rides, even if you have the optional magnetic ride like I do. They're still pretty stiff I think.

I have mentioned this in a couple of my personal threads describing my thoughts on the car, but I absolutely love the standard M suspension on it and don't regret not opting for the adaptive setup. I don't have to worry about shitty road conditions so in my case that could be one big difference.

The M340 soaks up bumps and road imperfections much better than my S3 and based on memory from my B8.5 S4, at least as well or maybe even better. I do think the superior 50/50 chassis balance of the BMW helps overall. I can immediately tell the difference compared to my Audis and it makes me wish I had gone to the dark side sooner . It certainly doesn't hurt that this engine has plenty of power and torque to play with. Even the AWD on this BMW performs better than the Quattro variants I've owned. Really happy with the RWD bias on this setup. It's awesome actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #88
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm doing nothing special in my case and simply adjusting the seats to a comfortable position for me personally. Unfortunately it's not likely to be useful to share an individual's seating position due to varying body sizes, height, weight, etc. I'm 5'10" for what it's worth so have plenty of room to work with. Not sure how it would be for drivers over 6'.

I haven't taken my car for any long drives yet, so maybe I don't have much to contribute in terms of long term use per se. I only know that compared to a number of other cars I've had, including the Audi S3 currently, the M340 is much better. Believe it or not, the seats in my Audi are manually adjustable, no power. For some reason the optional sport seats are manually adjusted. Go figure. Needless to say the full electrically adjustable seats are much more well, adjustable.

Most of the seats I have ever experienced are on the firm side and have been leather. However, this is the first time experiencing Vernasca which is a bit firmer than the typical Nappa leather seats I've had in multiple Audis, at least on the surface material. I don't mind it however, and in fact I think I prefer this feel. Some of it is also aesthetic as I love the contrast blue stitching on the black leather.

I wish that I could be more helpful.
I'm 6'4" about 220 pounds and find the seats very comfortable. To TiMSport's point, the adjustments are going to vary greatly based on body type, but I started with the seat all the way back as far as it would go and completely deflated the side bolsters and lumbar. I then moved the seat forward and adjusted height and all that until I had a good driving position. As far as the bolsters and lumbar, I had to play with them over a few days but got them in a position where everything is good.

One thing I will add is the lumbar and bolsters are NOT tied to the seat memory function, so if someone else drives your car and changes them they will not go back to where you had them.
Appreciate 0