Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA It's Arrived!!

04-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
It's Arrived!!

I took delivery of my G20 M340iX late yesterday afternoon.....right in the middle of a torrential downpour...….but even that could not dampen my spirit.
I took the opportunity this morning to drive to my house on the coast approx. 100 km from Adelaide. It was raining again! The road is a mixture of freeway and magic winding roads, especially close to the coast. With less vehicles on the road these days, the winding stretch was a joy to behold.
With all the wet weather, I can report that the XDrive, in combination with the LSD, works perfectly...……..just as it says on the box.
The only fault I could find with the car is that doors did not seem wide enough to take my smile.
Here are a couple of photos when I picked up the car. I will post more when I have the paint and window tinting completed on Monday.
One issue I had was that the rear diffuser was not available when the car arrived......somewhat annoying, but did not dampen my exhalation of driving the weaponised 3 Series. Who said 4 door sedans are boring...…….
Attached Images

Slideit49.00
akzz36.50
francton124.50
baturbo47.50
AndiC27.50
      04-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Finally!! Looks great and
def eye catching !
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:50 AM   #3
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

awesome!
congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I took delivery of my G20 M340iX late yesterday afternoon.....right in the middle of a torrential downpour...….but even that could not dampen my spirit.
I took the opportunity this morning to drive to my house on the coast approx. 100 km from Adelaide. It was raining again! The road is a mixture of freeway and magic winding roads, especially close to the coast. With less vehicles on the road these days, the winding stretch was a joy to behold.
With all the wet weather, I can report that the XDrive, in combination with the LSD, works perfectly...……..just as it says on the box.
The only fault I could find with the car is that doors did not seem wide enough to take my smile.
Here are a couple of photos when I picked up the car. I will post more when I have the paint and window tinting completed on Monday.
One issue I had was that the rear diffuser was not available when the car arrived......somewhat annoying, but did not dampen my exhalation of driving the weaponised 3 Series. Who said 4 door sedans are boring...…….
Congrats SteveAus it's finally here and you have collected your beast look forward to see photos of once tint is done, btw what tint percentage will you be doing yours? I was thinking 20% for mine?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Congrats SteveAus it's finally here and you have collected your beast look forward to see photos of once tint is done, btw what tint percentage will you be doing yours? I was thinking 20% for mine?
I have been planning to go 28% front and 20% rear.
But now I’m having second thoughts that these films might be too dark for using all three mirrors during night driving.
Previously, I had 35% front and 28% rear. There are no problems with these shades when driving at night.
I’ll discuss this further with the installers tomorrow morning.
      04-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
I have been planning to go 28% front and 20% rear.
But now I’m having second thoughts that these films might be too dark for using all three mirrors during night driving.
Previously, I had 35% front and 28% rear. There are no problems with these shades when driving at night.
I’ll discuss this further with the installers tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the tips SteveAus - once you install can you share the photo of how it looks and which one you ended up with as I got I say a week or two before it's been done to mine so would love to see how it turned out 🙏
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

AUS gets a Merino Tartufo option on the 3er! What the hell BMWNA?! Love it
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      04-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCbmwbear View Post
AUS gets a Merino Tartufo option on the 3er! What the hell BMWNA?! Love it
Basically every country but the US gets the option lol Even Canada so it's BMW USA
      04-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Looks amazing SteveAus

Glad we finally got our cars.

That Tartufo is - Looks amazing and goes so well with the SO! Also the wood combo was an excellent choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #10
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I've now had the car for around 6 weeks and have had a few issues with the fitment of the OEM aero kit. Of course, none of this has reduced the thrill of driving such a excellent machine.

The rear spoiler should fit flush along its entire length but was not fitted correctly and lifted at both ends.

The CF Splitters at the front were a good idea due to the subtle look but do not work aerodynamically on their own. They did not allow airflow around and tended to trap air and debris, making them impossible to clean.
See photos below.

The aero kit was provided by my dealer free of charge so I did feel a little guilty when I asked to have the front end replaced with a one piece spoiler. The dealer was excellent and did not hesitate.

I did not feel guilty asking for the rear spoiler to be refitted. This was done at the same time without question. Unfortunately, in bright sunlight, I can see a few polish marks in the two pack Opticoat paint protection system after the refit.

I will get this sorted when the rear diffuser finally arrives in Australia and is fitted to the car. It appears there are still issues getting rear diffusers out of Germany. I was initially told it would be 6 weeks after vehicle delivery (3rd April) but this has dragged out to a "don't hold your breath" scenario (my interpretation). So, I'm not holding my breath!!
Attached Images

06-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

All new member here in Brisbane. Have just put down a deposit on a Sunset Orange M340i after an exhaustive process looking at many options. Typical I wanted the Beemer and the Mrs wanted the Merc. Anyway cant wait to get it although I am a little concerned the Orange will wear off in time and will regret it. Oh, well. This is my first BMW but have always loved them. SteveAus, your car looks amazing BTW. Assume you are happy with the colour choice? I haven't seen this colour in person. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Had the same issue with my wife re: the BMW v MB discussion or Drivers Car v grannies car.
I know MB is mid range but I hated the air conditioning vents, screen sticking out like a notebook and lack of tech.
As we have been going east for weddings and things these past years I would hire a 430 cabriolet in Sydney and have a driving holiday to our destination.
She had a far better feel for the feel for the cars than me (in my defence, I drive a Landcruiser) and even did Bathurst cleaner than a lot of drivers I've seen.
When it came time to order we compared the bells and whistles between the two cars and BMW were around $12500 in front of MB.
A couple of months later the 330i got COTY. Good pick for us!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
All new member here in Brisbane. Have just put down a deposit on a Sunset Orange M340i after an exhaustive process looking at many options. Typical I wanted the Beemer and the Mrs wanted the Merc. Anyway cant wait to get it although I am a little concerned the Orange will wear off in time and will regret it. Oh, well. This is my first BMW but have always loved them. SteveAus, your car looks amazing BTW. Assume you are happy with the colour choice? I haven't seen this colour in person. Cheers
Thanks Bris-M340i. Yes, I love the colour, especially with the tartufo leather. Most importantly, she who must be obeyed loves the colour (she also wanted the Merc), and is now extremely happy with the choices we made. It is a major departure for me from the silver with black leather cars that I have had for years. For me, this is a refreshing change.
The colour is not always bright orange. It changes with the amount of light on the car, from bright orange to reddy-brown......an interesting chameleon.
You’ll love it 😍
      06-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #14
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome, thanks Steve. Must admit I've never understood the fascination with Merc's but I agreed with my Mrs that if we went down that path it had to have an AMG badge :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #15
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome, thanks Steve. Must admit I've never understood the fascination with Merc's but I agreed with my Mrs that if we went down that path it had to have an AMG badge :-)
Yeah. Same here.
I was looking at the AMG C43.....great car, but like you, I thought it lacked some of the tech that is present in the M340. I particularly loved the seats and rev counter in the HUD in the Merc. However, it was late in its model life, and I wanted an up-to-date car. I’m sure Merc will address some of the tech components in its next iteration (and will charge accordingly!). Overall, I thought the M340 offered a better priced alternative to the C43, and I thought it had the edge in performance over the Merc.
One other thing I noticed was that the fixed price serving on a 5 year plan was astronomical compared to BMW.
      06-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #16
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah we looked at the C43 but couldn't get over the boring looks so we ended up looking at the CLA45. That thing was an animal but was a little boy racerish and had a cheapish interior. Sorry another question with the Orange how does it contrast with the cerium grey finishes on the grill, wheels and mirrors? This was another concern I had. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #17
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah we looked at the C43 but couldn't get over the boring looks so we ended up looking at the CLA45. That thing was an animal but was a little boy racerish and had a cheapish interior. Sorry another question with the Orange how does it contrast with the cerium grey finishes on the grill, wheels and mirrors? This was another concern I had. Cheers
It comes down to personal taste, but I like the cerium. It is reserved for the M-Performance cars in the BMW fleet, and therefore is instantly recognizable as such.......bit of snob value, I suppose.

I had the BMW Genius throw up the car on the big screen in the dealership as I wanted to see how my car would look with black accents. For me, I preferred the cerium to the black, especially with interior colour that I had selected and again with the diamond design in the M340 kidney grill.....but this is all down to personal preference.

If I had gone with silver or white paintwork, I would have had the black trim as this is how I modified my previous F30.

The photos I posted in this thread should give you an idea of what the Sunset Orange looks like with the Cerium accents.
      06-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #18
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome, thanks for your help Steve.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #19
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Aero Update

I've been meaning to post some photos for some time and have been just plain lazy, I suppose.

As part of the build BMW was supposed to supply and fit front splitters, rear spoiler and rear diffuser.
The front splitters were a bit of a disaster and trapped all kinds of debris. I asked the dealer to remove these and replace with a full width front spoiler. No problems. No charge.
The rear CF spoiler was not fitted correctly and had to be removed and refitted. Now it is fitted correctly. No charge again.
It took quite some time (many weeks actually!) to get the rear diffuser from BMW. This was fitted without incident. Later, I ordered some OEM Black Chrome exhaust tips from Schmiedmann in Denmark to finish off the rear end.

It was at this time I thought the M-Performance side skirts would look good to tie the front black bits with the black bits at the back of the car, as the middle of the car now looked a little bare (IMO). So I ordered these from JD75, and decided to fit these myself due to the exorbitant prices BMW wanted to charge.
I tell you, fitting these side skirts on your own is not for the faint hearted. Using the Betalink K2 adhesive is not the easiest in the world. If you try this at home make sure you are well gloved up (I used surgical gloves.....many, many pairs!). This nasty black adhesive gets everywhere and if you do get it on your hands and under your nails will take the best part of a week to get off no matter how hard you try and how many cleaning products you use!!!
Also, the applicator is worse than useless. BMW over-engineers, Dupont definitely does not. I ended up squirting the adhesive from the sausage into a cake decorating kit....worked like a charm, but it will never get within a coooeee of a cake again........straight in the bin.

Here are a few snaps of the end result, post my paint protection Detailer touching up the aero additions. Apologies for the quality of the photos. I do not claim to be a David Bailey, but I was fighting winter the sun. That's my excuse.
Attached Images

09-10-2020, 01:15 AM   #20
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
I've been meaning to post some photos for some time and have been just plain lazy, I suppose.

As part of the build BMW was supposed to supply and fit front splitters, rear spoiler and rear diffuser.
The front splitters were a bit of a disaster and trapped all kinds of debris. I asked the dealer to remove these and replace with a full width front spoiler. No problems. No charge.
The rear CF spoiler was not fitted correctly and had to be removed and refitted. Now it is fitted correctly. No charge again.
It took quite some time (many weeks actually!) to get the rear diffuser from BMW. This was fitted without incident. Later, I ordered some OEM Black Chrome exhaust tips from Schmiedmann in Denmark to finish off the rear end.

It was at this time I thought the M-Performance side skirts would look good to tie the front black bits with the black bits at the back of the car, as the middle of the car now looked a little bare (IMO). So I ordered these from JD75, and decided to fit these myself due to the exorbitant prices BMW wanted to charge.
I tell you, fitting these side skirts on your own is not for the faint hearted. Using the Betalink K2 adhesive is not the easiest in the world. If you try this at home make sure you are well gloved up (I used surgical gloves.....many, many pairs!). This nasty black adhesive gets everywhere and if you do get it on your hands and under your nails will take the best part of a week to get off no matter how hard you try and how many cleaning products you use!!!
Also, the applicator is worse than useless. BMW over-engineers, Dupont definitely does not. I ended up squirting the adhesive from the sausage into a cake decorating kit....worked like a charm, but it will never get within a coooeee of a cake again........straight in the bin.

Here are a few snaps of the end result, post my paint protection Detailer touching up the aero additions. Apologies for the quality of the photos. I do not claim to be a David Bailey, but I was fighting winter the sun. That's my excuse.
Love it. Especially the colour.

I noticed your tires are the go flat Pilot Sport 4S's. Did you order this specifically with a spare or did you just get a can of goo and a pump in the boot? Any feedback on them compared to earlier run flats?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:25 AM   #21
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Love it. Especially the colour.

I noticed your tires are the go flat Pilot Sport 4S's. Did you order this specifically with a spare or did you just get a can of goo and a pump in the boot? Any feedback on them compared to earlier run flats?
No spare, just a can of goo. A spare would take up far too much boot space for the way I use the car. My long runs are always with a totally full boot.
The PS4’s are certainly a lot grippier than the Bridgestone Potenza’s that I had on my F30 335, but it could also be a function of the AWD and suspension setup on the M340 (I had a similar aero setup on the F30 and active suspension).
Although I didn’t complain about road noise from the Bridgestone’s, I have noticed that the road noise with the PS4’s is reduced considerably.
      09-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #22
A'PEXi
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks great, is the front splitter an OEM item from BMW?