Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Will OTA software update erase coding?

10-04-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
Dark_cobra
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Xdrive Touring

Will OTA software update erase coding?

As the title says, will an OTA software update erase any coding? I'm considering having comfort+, sport+, lane change assistance etc coded to my G21. Nervous about spending money for it then to be lost when the next OTA is pushed out seeing as I'm still running 11.2019. I asked Zed the coder i plan to use and he said it was unlikely. Not sure i trust that reply. What's people's experience on here?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_cobra View Post
As the title says, will an OTA software update erase any coding? I'm considering having comfort+, sport+, lane change assistance etc coded to my G21. Nervous about spending money for it then to be lost when the next OTA is pushed out seeing as I'm still running 11.2019. I asked Zed the coder i plan to use and he said it was unlikely. Not sure i trust that reply. What's people's experience on here?
It has been reported on this forum that any update OTA or at the dealers will reset all coding.

Here is one such reference..... there are others

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=141

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Depends on how they code it. Lane change assistant can be VO coded so would persist after a software upgrade if the FA was written to the car.

FDL coding will be erased during the second phase of the coding session, where the car is VO coded against the car's current FA.

Personally, I wouldn't take a BMW, still under warranty, to a dealership with any modified FA or FDL coding active.

Many will say that there is practically no risk and they never bother to revert the coding, and most of the time they are right, but they don't know what i do.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:54 AM   #4
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can check, what is the different between VO and FA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Depends on how they code it. Lane change assistant can be VO coded so would persist after a software upgrade if the FA was written to the car.

FDL coding will be erased during the second phase of the coding session, where the car is VO coded against the car's current FA.

Personally, I wouldn't take a BMW, still under warranty, to a dealership with any modified FA or FDL coding active.

Many will say that there is practically no risk and they never bother to revert the coding, and most of the time they are right, but they don't know what i do.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
Dark_cobra
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
dwlc1983
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi

Garage List
Just barely got the 11/2019 OTA update and can confirm all my bimmercode coding was erased and had to redo it. This gave me pause in having the remote coding done for LCA and anti-dazzle but not savvy enough to know if those would have been erased as well per the responses above.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Dark_cobra
Private
Rep

I'm considering the bimmercode route now as well. Given I could be looking at paying for recoding once or twice a year for the remaining 3 years i have the car. The cost could mount up to over £240.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering the bimmercode route now as well. Given I could be looking at paying for recoding once or twice a year for the remaining 3 years i have the car. The cost could mount up to over £240.
Swings and roundabouts. Bimmercode coding will be erased but you can recode afterwards. There will probably be a delay before you can recode as the developer needs to put out a newer version to support newer i-step.

You wouldnt be able to code auto lane change assistant with bimmercode as it doesn't support all ECU including SAS2/3. You'd need esys for that if VO Coding, or esysx if FDL coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
phayze ,

VO coding and FA coding is the same thing -- Vehicle Order in English and Fahrzeug Auflistung in German, if I recall correctly

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
Can check, what is the different between VO and FA?
They are the same, FA is the German language acronym for VO.

The key point is that the FA/VO on the car is used during a programming session, to determine what the coding values are set for the new i-step.

When a coder does the VO Coding it's the FA/VO that is loaded in esys that determines how the ECU will be configured. Good news is that if you never write the FA to the car then BMW will never notice any difference if looking. Bad news is that any programming session will wipe the modified FA changes e.g. if removal of 8TR is not written to the car, then auto lane change will stop working after an i-step upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
And I'm guessing you are not willing to share that knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can i say that it will be safer if i use FDL coding as there isnt any modifications to the VO/FA?

Quote:

The key point is that the FA/VO on the car is used during a programming session, to determine what the coding values are set for the new i-step.

When a coder does the VO Coding it's the FA/VO that is loaded in esys that determines how the ECU will be configured. Good news is that if you never write the FA to the car then BMW will never notice any difference if looking. Bad news is that any programming session will wipe the modified FA changes e.g. if removal of 8TR is not written to the car, then auto lane change will stop working after an i-step upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:30 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can i say that it will be safer if i use FDL coding as there isnt any modifications to the VO/FA?

Quote:

Yep definitely safer.

I always vo code all ECU's against the original FA so it's back to stock when taking to a dealer.

I then reset all error codes in ista.

If it's going to be upgraded and wiped anyway, what's to lose?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
phayze ,

I havev coded my now retired F30 & my current G20, as well as several friends' cars. I have only VO coded once (when I added Back up camera to F30).

I agree with @ifr , it is "safer" to FDL code, only down side is having to re-code after software update

Hope that helps!

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #15
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Understand. Bimmercode do FDL coding only right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
phayze ,

I havev coded my now retired F30 & my current G20, as well as several friends' cars. I have only VO coded once (when I added Back up camera to F30).

I agree with @ifr , it is "safer" to FDL code, only down side is having to re-code after software update

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Understand. Bimmercode do FDL coding only right?
Yep that's right.

VO Coding can be done with esys alone which can be obtained without cost. To do FDL coding with esys you need a launcher such as esysx, which is a cost option.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the information. This clarify my understanding.

Quote:
Yep that's right.

VO Coding can be done with esys alone which can be obtained without cost. To do FDL coding with esys you need a launcher such as esysx, which is a cost option.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #18
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
phayze ,

Yup, you can only do FDL coding with Bimmercode -- at least, for now.

To do VO (aka FA) coding, you need E-Sys and an PSZdData file that is the same or newer than the I-Step (software version) in your car.

To use, E-Sys, however, because BMW has "trimmed" the data files, you need another program. I used to use ProLauncher, but the developer, Tokenmaster, is apparently no longer available to get needed unlock codes. While I have heard of some hacked versions, I haven't tried any -- and they may also not be supported. You see to overcome "trimming", these additional programs basically map functions back into E-Sys -- so as BMW continues to update software, there are functions that become "orphaned" & can't be coded any longer.

So, the only viable additional program is is E-SysX, which is available from their website (at a cost) & is well supported

Sorry for the lengthy explanation-- Hope it Helps!

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi,

From my understanding,

To use the free E-sys, u need the PSZdData file in order to code.

Another way is to purchase E-sysX and this software can be use to code without any additional files or software. This can be use with any version of i-Step on G20.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
phayze ,

Yup, you can only do FDL coding with Bimmercode -- at least, for now.

To do VO (aka FA) coding, you need E-Sys and an PSZdData file that is the same or newer than the I-Step (software version) in your car.

To use, E-Sys, however, because BMW has "trimmed" the data files, you need another program. I used to use ProLauncher, but the developer, Tokenmaster, is apparently no longer available to get needed unlock codes. While I have heard of some hacked versions, I haven't tried any -- and they may also not be supported. You see to overcome "trimming", these additional programs basically map functions back into E-Sys -- so as BMW continues to update software, there are functions that become "orphaned" & can't be coded any longer.

So, the only viable additional program is is E-SysX, which is available from their website (at a cost) & is well supported

Sorry for the lengthy explanation-- Hope it Helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
phayze ,

You still need E-Sys (see E-SysX web site for which versions) and the data files-- both of which are available at no cost

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:09 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

From my understanding,

To use the free E-sys, u need the PSZdData file in order to code.

Another way is to purchase E-sysX and this software can be use to code without any additional files or software. This can be use with any version of i-Step on G20.

Correct me if i am wrong.
esys+psdzdata = VO Coding
esys+psdzdata+esysx = VO Coding + FDL Coding
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #22
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Firstly, I’ve used Zed for coding...really good guy. Very straight up and honest. To answer you’re question on mine, some of the coding was lost and some remained.

I lost the DRL menu options (on/off and front/back). I also lost Comfort PLUS (the PLUS is coded in the UK it’s not there by default) and I lost tire pressure temp display.....all of these (except comfort plus) I easily put back withBimmercode.

What was not lost...the Assisted driving view in the instrument cluster....the one that shows you the vehicle (truck, car, bike) in front of you...Also the assisted overtaking remained (the one where you flick the indicator and the car overtakes the vehicle in front). The assisted driving view in the instrument display was originally not present on my vehicles so Zed coded it.

I’ve got an 840D Launch edition. Hope this helps
J
Appreciate 0