Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Vehicle Inspection - With Tune

02-01-2024, 05:42 AM   #1
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Vehicle Inspection - With Tune

I am very new to Tuning cars. There are some things that are not really explained to you, when you tune. And I am a bit confused.

I usually have a few shadow codes on my 93 octane tune. But no check engine lights or anything. Didn't really think anything, so I hooked up my cable. Cleared the codes, and took her in for inspection.

They could not get a read on it. Asked me if I recently did any work on the battery. I did not.

Reached out to the Tuning Company: They told me don't inspect with tune. Flash back to stock. I did exactly that. Now I have a few shadow errors again, on the stock

CD990E and CD990B (Flex Ray front and rear axle codes)

Tuning company says these codes should clear, if I cycle the engine.

I have driven about 60 miles since flashing back to stock and the two shadow codes still show.

If I flash to a 91 tune, I get no errors at all. Should I flash to a 91 tune, and then drive about 50 miles - and take it back for the inspection?
      02-01-2024, 05:50 AM   #2
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post
I am very new to Tuning cars. There are some things that are not really explained to you, when you tune. And I am a bit confused.

I usually have a few shadow codes on my 93 octane tune. But no check engine lights or anything. Didn't really think anything, so I hooked up my cable. Cleared the codes, and took her in for inspection.

They could not get a read on it. Asked me if I recently did any work on the battery. I did not.

Reached out to the Tuning Company: They told me don't inspect with tune. Flash back to stock. I did exactly that. Now I have a few shadow errors again, on the stock

CD990E and CD990B (Flex Ray front and rear axle codes)

Tuning company says these codes should clear, if I cycle the engine.

I have driven about 60 miles since flashing back to stock and the two shadow codes still show.

If I flash to a 91 tune, I get no errors at all. Should I flash to a 91 tune, and then drive about 50 miles - and take it back for the inspection?
It sounds like you cleared your I/M readiness data so they couldn't look at it for the inspection. You need to drive it a bit to generate more data.

I get those same codes as well (FlexRay), and I don't believe they have anything to do with emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:39 AM   #3
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Ahhhhh. So, I don’t actually need the codes to clear. I just needed to drive it around. The problem was that it was not “read ready”’and not that it actually had these warning codes?

Do you get inspection tuned or do you flash to stock?

Thank you for your response

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso4534 View Post
It sounds like you cleared your I/M readiness data so they couldn't look at it for the inspection. You need to drive it a bit to generate more data.

I get those same codes as well (FlexRay), and I don't believe they have anything to do with emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:40 AM   #4
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post
Ahhhhh. So, I don’t actually need the codes to clear. I just needed to drive it around. The problem was that it was not “read ready”’and not that it actually had these warning codes?

Do you get inspection tuned or do you flash to stock?

Thank you for your response
Right. Those codes themselves should not trigger a CEL, and therefore should not be a problem during inspection.

Yes, the problem was they couldn't pull any emissions data because it was cleared. Many scanners will allow you to see if I/M is in a "ready" state for inspection. That way, you can check before bringing it back to the shop. Driving 60 miles should do it. One time with my former E90, I cleared I/M by accident and had to drive about 100 miles for it to generate enough data to be ready.

My car isn't tuned. Keeping it bone stock because these machines are complicated enough as it is. Last week, I was fighting a CEL and pulling my hair out. Finally fixed it.
Appreciate 1