Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions WHAT A FULL I AM and perhaps Others

01-28-2024, 04:56 PM   #45
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
I dont know whats youre on about but i merely pointing out that a product manufactured from different place can and will have discrepancy in quality. I experienced it first hand. Nobody say Mexians are inferior as a human being, but they might be less skilled due to different country have different level of education, ever thought of that, this is one of many possible reason? Tell me am racist or bigot whatever, im only pointing out fact.
The OP made some unsubstantiated claims about the quality of the cars assembled in Mexico, essentially based on nothing but the fact the car wasn’t assembled in Germany. If he had ordered an X5 and found out it was assembled in Carolina, would the response be the same? Genuine question.

Audi also manufacture in Mexico, as do Ford, Hyundai, Volkswagen etc etc. I’m sure the OP’s 401k includes plenty of companies that manufacture globally for all sorts of reasons, does he then complain about the returns? No.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:11 PM   #46
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The OP made some unsubstantiated claims about the quality of the cars assembled in Mexico, essentially based on nothing but the fact the car wasn’t assembled in Germany. If he had ordered an X5 and found out it was assembled in Carolina, would the response be the same? Genuine question.

Audi also manufacture in Mexico, as do Ford, Hyundai, Volkswagen etc etc. I’m sure the OP’s 401k includes plenty of companies that manufacture globally for all sorts of reasons, does he then complain about the returns? No.
Not to mention how many things we purchase nowadays that have at least some parts made in China. How do you think these companies keep costs down? If EVERYTHING was made in America, costs would be sky high. Why? American labor is expensive.

This is the market we live in. Either play by the rules, or don't play at all.
      01-28-2024, 06:42 PM   #47
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

I don’t say any of this as a defense of the OP. I’m pretty sure I remember some Volkswagen owners, probably early on, who had issues with their Mexico built Volkswagens. I can’t recall this quite as clearly, but I think Ford has had some problems, too. Of course, we all know U.S. produced cars from the big three have been less than impressive pretty much for all of time. And I’m pretty sure I’ve read of at least some problems Volkswagen has had with their Chattanooga produced Passats.

It’s pretty widely known among folks who know BMW that it wasn’t unusual for the Rosslyn plant to get better quality scores than the German plants. Even knowing that unequivocally I would still have a preference that my German BMW 3 Series be built in Germany. The F30 340i I have now was built in the Rosslyn plant. I’m not at all certain there is a correlation, and statistics would tell me there isn’t, but my perception is there are a few minor, overall build quality differences that were not present in my German built F30 340i that are present in this car. Right now there’s nothing specific I can put my finger on and it could just be my perception. But, there were some identifiable issues when I first got this car. My first, German built F30 was dead quiet the entire time I had it. It was just under three years old when I got it and just under five years old when I sold it. This car was one month older than my first 340 when I got it and it had three interior rattles. Fortunately, for about $400 the dealer was able to find and fix each of them and so far they have not returned. As I typed this I just remembered there is one other issue going on right now. This car also has a slight whistle from somewhere around the left side of the windshield. When I take the car for an oil change in the next couple of weeks I’m going to ask them to check on it. Now I have to say and admit I cannot specifically attribute these things to the car being produced in South Africa, because I know from reading the forums that some F30s have been prone to having rattles and I don’t think there’s any correlation to where they were produced.

My 2020 G20 M340i that I bought and kept for four months was built in Germany and I was pleased about that, but it had some body creaks from the c pillar area behind the back seat. In all honesty, if I was buying a new M340i today and there was an option I could choose that wasn’t exceedingly expensive or just a request I could make that would cause the car to be built in Germany I would do that. Magna Steyr in Austria has built various BMW models and if I had been buying one of those cars and could choose one that was built in Germany I would have done that.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-28-2024 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:36 PM   #48
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

I get it. He wanted his German car to be made in Germany. His money his choice. Whatever. Everyone screaming bigot/racist at the drop of a dime has become really tiresome.
Appreciate 3
      01-28-2024, 08:05 PM   #49
luisadn3
Rep
Drives: M340i

This post shouldn’t be here just saying
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:51 PM   #50
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisadn3 View Post
This post shouldn’t be here just saying
Why? It’s certainly not the first time someone posted something the majority of the forum disagreed with and it won’t be the last.

01-28-2024, 09:57 PM   #51
Sparch
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i, 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What MY was that?
MY21
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #52
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparch View Post
MY21
Thanks, that was before the changes.
      01-28-2024, 11:50 PM   #53
Prsche
Registered
Rep
Drives: Xxxxxxxx

Reply to the plant in mexico

Members

The last 3 or 4 posts have stated what I’ve been trying to say

I just wanted a German product made in Germany. I should have left out all the other verbage.

I made comments in defense of hard working ppl who are in a locale where labor is inexpensive

To those of you who were offended by my post I ask that you read it more closely.

I am very offended at from the hip accusations about me and you don’t know anything about me

I am 73 years old and I am ill. My wife wanted to give me a present to lighten the load I am carrying. I don’t know how log I’ll be around.

I wanted a German car made in Germany..period

And today I canceled the bmw. We went to Porsche. They have 2 911s coming in to the dealer from the port in the next two weeks. She bought me one of them

So stop please with these hurtful and personal comments of me that are contained in some of this thread

JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!

I’ve asked the administrator how I can have my membership removed and to also pull the post The link in the rules that u click to remove membership says go to the index. Where is the index
Appreciate 1
cyam188.50
      01-29-2024, 12:30 AM   #54
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prsche View Post
And today I canceled the bmw. We went to Porsche. They have 2 911s coming in to the dealer from the port in the next two weeks. She bought me one of them
Congrats on your new Porsche, which is a natural progression of many BMW owners. And Porsche does fit your clearly stated purpose of getting a German-built car.

Did u pick your username Prsche before your first post on this BMW forum, knowing that u are buying a Porsche?

Given a set of genuine Porsche front wheel hubs is close to $1k, so it probably is not important to u losing $1k deposit on the cancelled BMW.

As stated in your post#1, u believed that BMW does not pass the labor cost savings from SLP-built cars to US customers, and suggested SLP staff is treated unfairly.

Both of these appear to be misinterpretation of BMW's business models(surely non-insiders won't know how SLP staff is compensated), and personally I don't think u mean anything sinister.

Best of luck to your new Porsche, and best of wishes to your speedy recovery.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 12:55 AM   #55
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Members

I just wanted a German product made in Germany. I should have left out all the other verbage.

I made comments in defense of hard working ppl who are in a locale where labor is inexpensive

To those of you who were offended by my post I ask that you read it more closely.

I am very offended at from the hip accusations about me and you don’t know anything about me

I am 73 years old and I am ill. My wife wanted to give me a present to lighten the load I am carrying. I don’t know how log I’ll be around.

So stop please with these hurtful and personal comments of me that are contained in some of this thread

I’ve asked the administrator how I can have my membership removed and to also pull the post The link in the rules that u click to remove membership says go to the index. Where is the index
Good choice. I had a 911 TT (996) when it was brand new. Awesome car. The new Porsche's are next-level. You made the right choice.

Ignore the snowflakes that think you can't say this or that without it meaning something completely different than your intention. The world's gone mad. Stay sane and enjoy the Porsche!!
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 09:17 AM   #56
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
The world's gone mad.
Yes it has.
It didn't prevent me from buying it, but I was a little disappointed learning mine was made in Mexico too. The thought of my BMW rolling off the line in Munich adds a dash of romance and authenticity that coming off a line in Mexico simply does not.

Now, feel free to take what I just said and wildly misinterpret it. l look forward to the salt.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 09:51 AM   #57
Three77
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340I

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a18716...built-germany/

South Africa used to have the highest quality rating for any BMW plant, I work with a supplier of BMW trim parts and they said they have been in calls that said Mexican production 3 series have fewer quality callbacks than German 3 series cars.

Having said that, in my experience quality and reliability problems generally don't have anything to do with HOW a car was screwed together, they are in general engineering defects inherent to the design.

Every auto assembly hall I have ever been in uses computerized torque wrenches/automated checks, etc for EVERYTHING at every work station, and will not even allow a car to proceed down the line if it isn't ok, the workers cant screw it up even if they tried.

But to each their own.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2180.50
MOTO218.00
      01-29-2024, 11:05 AM   #58
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Members

You mean the workers who now get paid double the average wage in Mexico ($20k) working in a high tech industry and have acquired globally recognized and marketable skills? Those workers?

'The average BMW Group salary ranges from approximately $41,027 per year for an Assembly Line Worker...'

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/BMW...4,10_IN169.htm
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 11:14 AM   #59
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
You mean the workers who now get paid double the average wage in Mexico ($20k) working in a high tech industry and have acquired globally recognized and marketable skills? Those workers?

'The average BMW Group salary ranges from approximately $41,027 per year for an Assembly Line Worker...'

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/BMW...4,10_IN169.htm
Precisely. The main benefit to building in Mexico or stateside is reduction of shipping costs and logistics, not a reduction in quality or the quality of workers.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2180.50
      01-29-2024, 11:43 AM   #60
antonyngyn
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Do you want to buy my 2023 M340i xdrive 10k miles? It is one of the earlier models made in Germany. I know this because I recently installed yellow DRLs and sent my OEM boards for reference and the board manufacturer stated my boards are an early version of the LCI that they find in cars made in Germany
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:54 AM   #61
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyngyn View Post
Do you want to buy my 2023 M340i xdrive 10k miles? It is one of the earlier models made in Germany. I know this because I recently installed yellow DRLs and sent my OEM boards for reference and the board manufacturer stated my boards are an early version of the LCI that they find in cars made in Germany
It appears starting MY22 or MY23 the US-spec M340i is also made in SLP.

The VIN prefix is the definitive answer to SLP-built(3bMW) vs. Munich-built(WBA), so is your VIN 3MW or WBA?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:40 PM   #62
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Members

just make sure you can get in and out of the Porsche before paying the full price. they are very low slung ...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:39 PM   #63
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyngyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
It appears starting MY22 or MY23 the US-spec M340i is also made in SLP.

The VIN prefix is the definitive answer to SLP-built(3bMW) vs. Munich-built(WBA), so is your VIN 3MW or WBA?
Yes, barring an exceedingly unusual circumstance your car was built in Mexico.

01-29-2024, 02:45 PM   #64
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Troll thread only 4/10
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:01 PM   #65
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
My last statement

Members

If you want to leave, just log out and don't return. No need to make a production out of it. Posting "leave me alone" is just drama queen stuff.

Quote:
2nd Clarification:

What part of "I bought a German automobile and assumed, yes assumed it was manufactured in Germany.

I accept that you are all the experts having purchased multiple BMWs...so I accept your opinion as truth..

My post supports the workers on the Mexico assembly line and anyother auto assembly line where a corporation seeks a location abroad that in addition to a myriad of reasons...decides to locate where there labor costs will be lower. THERE IS A DISPARITY BETWEEN THE wages OF THE PPL ON THE GERMAN ASSEMBLY LINE AND THOSE ON THE MEXICO ASSEMBLY LINE....Therefore, why doesn't the price of the car reflect BMW's savings in labor costs.
What is the disparity? Please be specific.

Quote:
Sir or Madam, this is not "hate speech". I am fighting wage discrimination based on location. I am advocating that the workers in the Assembly plant in Mexico should receive pay equal to their German counterparts if BMW insists on charging the same for vehicle models made in Mexico as those made in Germany.
"Fighting and Advocating"! Such a hero.

Quote:
So update: I canceled my order, forfeited my small deposit and I went to the area Porsche dealer and purchased a 911 Coupe. It will take a while to get it. It's my sunny weekend car anyway..so there is no urgency.
Great car.

Quote:
I would like to end my membership in this forum if someone would kindly tell me how to do that.
Log out and don't return.

Quote:
Quality or lack of quality is not the major issue
The issue is the disparity of the cost of the M in M cars and those made in Germany.
What is an M in M car?

Quote:
The 4Series Sport base model is close to the price of the 330i. So since labor is cheaper in Mexico, why aren't the BMW's out of this factory a lesser cost than those out of Germany. One response noted the cost of R & D...My response..R&D is factored into the German made 4 Series..the difference in cost is essentially the labor..not R&D.
You are a fine social justice warrior. Fight on

Quote:
Also, this was/is to be my retirement gift from my wife. I wanted another German made car...The salesman, when I ordered the build, described in detail the delivery process -- emphasizing the time it would take from the German port to the Port of Baltimore. when I discovered where the car is manufactured after finding this forum...it took the wind out of the sails of what was to be a very special gift.

What a fool I am!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:13 PM   #66
madpistol
Major
Rep

I can sort of understand why the OP would be frustrated. Unfortunately, BMW (and all manufacturers of goods) have to find ways to lower costs. Otherwise, they’re going to get eaten up by their competition. Buying a Porsche is certainly a way around this… but those things cost wayyyyy more than a 3 series. In the end it’s all about what makes you happy.

If you expected to come here and demand that all BMWs be made in Germany or try and sway people from BMWs because this model is not made in Germany, you came to the wrong place. People here love their car, no matter where they are made. Isn’t that honestly all that matters?
Appreciate 0