Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G80 M3 / G82 M4 Forum (2019+) Will the G80 have Active Sound?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Will the G80 have Active Sound?

Will the G80 be getting "fake" engine noise pumped into the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
630
Rep
2,637
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Probably. Most every modern BMW has it.
Not my 540ix.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2176
Rep
3,610
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just forget about the active sound. The simple brilliance of bmw coding makes it easy to code off if you feel so inclined.
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Just forget about the active sound. The simple brilliance of bmw coding makes it easy to code off if you feel so inclined.
If BMW was really brilliant it would come with an option in I-drive to turn off. Or even a switch like traction control.

Or as a close second an option in I-drive where you could make it sound like a naturally aspirated V8.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:45 AM   #5
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Speakers for my Fav turbo 6:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:01 AM   #6
Bemo
Captain
Bemo's Avatar
United_States
697
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 911.1 GTS | E92M3 LRP Edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
If BMW was really brilliant it would come with an option in I-drive to turn off. Or even a switch like traction control.

Or as a close second an option in I-drive where you could make it sound like a naturally aspirated V8.
Maybe they'll sell CDs or MP3 packs with "sounds."
Or maybe they'll go back to their roots, drop the turbos and once again switch to large displacement naturally aspirated engines...you know like the 911 GT3. I'd lose some of the cabin insulation to reduce weight and bring more induction/exhaust noise into the cabin.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Maybe they'll sell CDs or MP3 packs with "sounds."
Or maybe they'll go back to their roots, drop the turbos and once again switch to large displacement naturally aspirated engines...you know like the 911 GT3. I'd lose some of the cabin insulation to reduce weight and bring more induction/exhaust noise into the cabin.

Active sound - I'll never get it ..... BMW just let it sound as it sounds and tune the actual exhaust system best that you can please.

People knock the american muscle cars for various reasons but the natural sound of a stock Shelby GT350 or even a Camaro will drop the panties off the girls faster than you can say turbo six.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Bemo
Captain
Bemo's Avatar
United_States
697
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 911.1 GTS | E92M3 LRP Edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Active sound - I'll never get it ..... BMW just let it sound as it sounds and tune the actual exhaust system best that you can please.

People knock the american muscle cars for various reasons but the natural sound of a stock Shelby GT350 or even a Camaro will drop the panties off the girls faster than you can say turbo six.
Never understood the active sound, suppose the S55 sound was so shitty that it forced the engineers into more stupid ways of solving the problem. Porsche has "sound symposer" solution which is actual pipes feeding real induction sound into the cabin...with less insulation for the sportier 911s...

Best to sell the '17 for scrap metal and enjoy the '13!
Appreciate 1
IB M1168.50

      12-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
thermalc
Private
50
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: m4
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Active sound is just a response to higher levels of insulation in modern cars. Porsche even put the symposer in the naturally aspirated 991's.

Nothing to do with the engine sound, the s63tu m5 and m6 had active sound before the m4 did.
Appreciate 1
IB M1168.50

      12-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalc View Post
Active sound is just a response to higher levels of insulation in modern cars. Porsche even put the symposer in the naturally aspirated 991's.

Nothing to do with the engine sound, the s63tu m5 and m6 had active sound before the m4 did.
Right - so the engineers insulate the cars to eliminate real noise and then pump in artificial noise - that's truly brilliant and job security at its best. How about less insulation, no active sound and $1000 off the MSRP. Let the engineers work on performance and reliability items.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Bemo
Captain
Bemo's Avatar
United_States
697
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 911.1 GTS | E92M3 LRP Edition
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalc View Post
Active sound is just a response to higher levels of insulation in modern cars. Porsche even put the symposer in the naturally aspirated 991's.

Nothing to do with the engine sound, the s63tu m5 and m6 had active sound before the m4 did.
The symposer in the 911 pumps real sound from the engine compartment.
Bmw plays prerecorded music through the speakers, what's next sound knob revs???
Appreciate 1
IB M1168.50

      12-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
thermalc
Private
50
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: m4
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Each new generation will have less NVH, to them its worth it to improve ride quality if it means losing some engine noise. The only difference is bmw plays a recorded engine note and porsche channels in actual engine noise. This is the most effective way of having a quiet cabin while still getting some engine noise.

I will say however that the s55 with MPE sounds better than that whistling turbo crap porsche put in the new 911 engines.
Appreciate 2
IB M1168.50

      12-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #13
Mo@BMWofFairfax
Retired BMW Genius
Mo@BMWofFairfax's Avatar
United_States
1970
Rep
3,039
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Not my 540ix.
Yes, it is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
630
Rep
2,637
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Yes, it is.
This link suggests. the 540i doesn't have it

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1395217
Appreciate 1
IB M1168.50

      01-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
tqbmw
Private First Class
45
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 550
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

100% it will have active sound. Like if. It 100, then 99.99999
Appreciate 1
IB M1168.50

      01-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #16
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
1140
Rep
4,530
Posts

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

iTrader: (0)

BMW should put an app in IDrive that let's you download different engine sounds. They could even have categories like classic luxury (Cadillac V16, Packard V12), classic sports car (Ferrari V12, etc.) American Muscle (427 Corvette, Shelby Cobra, etc.) They could also put speakers outside the car that you could route the phony sound to.

BMW could provide a switch that let you turn off the active sound and turn off the actual sound by using noise cancellation technology. This would be great for people who had neighbors who complain about the noise of the car and it allow us to sneak into the house without waking anyone on the occasions we stayed out too late. "I know you said you were going to sleep early last night. You must have been asleep when I got home. 4AM?. No dear I came home at 1:30, didn't you hear the car come into the driveway?"
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 2
IB M1168.50
Sedan_Clan3503.50

      01-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #17
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
evanescent03's Avatar
676
Rep
1,668
Posts

Drives: '16 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Will the G80 be getting "fake" engine noise pumped into the cabin?
Probably. My car has it but I just unplugged it. Easy enough.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten: '09 STi // '08 335i // '02 M3 // '11 335i // '15 M3 // '16 M3 // '16 Camaro SS // '16 Audi S3 // '18 Boxster 718S // '17 Camaro SS 1LE // '16 M6 GC CP

Appreciate 2
IB M1168.50
Prossx89.00

      01-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Will the G80 be getting "fake" engine noise pumped into the cabin?
Probably. My car has it but I just unplugged it. Easy enough.
Where is plug - in trunk ? Seems a bit of a pain to access.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
IB M
Colonel
1169
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BMW should put an app in IDrive that let's you download different engine sounds. They could even have categories like classic luxury (Cadillac V16, Packard V12), classic sports car (Ferrari V12, etc.) American Muscle (427 Corvette, Shelby Cobra, etc.) They could also put speakers outside the car that you could route the phony sound to.

BMW could provide a switch that let you turn off the active sound and turn off the actual sound by using noise cancellation technology. This would be great for people who had neighbors who complain about the noise of the car and it allow us to sneak into the house without waking anyone on the occasions we stayed out too late. "I know you said you were going to sleep early last night. You must have been asleep when I got home. 4AM?. No dear I came home at 1:30, didn't you hear the car come into the driveway?"
On / off option in I Drive would be a win - identify the customers hidden needs that they themselves might not realize they have and provide a solution - that's how u exceed customer expectations.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #20
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
1140
Rep
4,530
Posts

Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
On / off option in I Drive would be a win - identify the customers hidden needs that they themselves might not realize they have and provide a solution - that's how u exceed customer expectations.
On/off in iDrive would be excellent and would probably cost BMW next to nothing to implement.
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-21-2019 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
evanescent03's Avatar
676
Rep
1,668
Posts

Drives: '16 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BMW should put an app in IDrive that let's you download different engine sounds. They could even have categories like classic luxury (Cadillac V16, Packard V12), classic sports car (Ferrari V12, etc.) American Muscle (427 Corvette, Shelby Cobra, etc.) They could also put speakers outside the car that you could route the phony sound to.

BMW could provide a switch that let you turn off the active sound and turn off the actual sound by using noise cancellation technology. This would be great for people who had neighbors who complain about the noise of the car and it allow us to sneak into the house without waking anyone on the occasions we stayed out too late. "I know you said you were going to sleep early last night. You must have been asleep when I got home. 4AM?. No dear I came home at 1:30, didn't you hear the car come into the driveway?"
On / off option in I Drive would be a win - identify the customers hidden needs that they themselves might not realize they have and provide a solution - that's how u exceed customer expectations.
The sound box is in the trunk on the left side and hanging from above on the m6... I just unclipped the housing and unplugged the entire harness. The box is now sitting on my workbench. better sound, lost about 2 lbs, added trunk spaces. The first is the only noticeable thing haha.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten: '09 STi // '08 335i // '02 M3 // '11 335i // '15 M3 // '16 M3 // '16 Camaro SS // '16 Audi S3 // '18 Boxster 718S // '17 Camaro SS 1LE // '16 M6 GC CP

Appreciate 1
dmboone254307.50

      01-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1872
Rep
7,749
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Not my 540ix.
The G generation ///M Performance models like the G01 M40 and M550 have ASD. Not the 530 or 540.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST