Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G80 M3 / G82 M4 Forum (2019+) Here's what the radical G80 M3 will look like! BIMMERPOST renderings

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #925
Hegge
Private First Class
57
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition
Join Date: May 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
They are listening.....









.....to the future buyers of this car.
Are you a future buyer of the next M3 Sedan Clan?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #926
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3504
Rep
15,270
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Are you a future buyer of the next M3 Sedan Clan?
Nope. I'll buy an ///M4.....again. FWIW, I'm not the future buyer that I'm referring to. The "future buyer" I'm referring to is the one targeted during the market analysis they did two years ago prior to this car being designed, and the progressive "future buyer" the company is trying to attract at the expense of older buyers who are resistant to change(s).
Appreciate 1
JTO242275.00

      10-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #927
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
7495
Rep
6,601
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Nope. I'll buy an ///M4.....again. FWIW, I'm not the future buyer that I'm referring to. The "future buyer" I'm referring to is the one targeted during the market analysis they did two years ago prior to this car being designed, and the progressive "future buyer" the company is trying to attract at the expense of older buyers who are resistant to change(s).
The problem with this thesis is 3 fold:

(1.) There's always normal customer replacement: some try and move on, some age out of certain models, etc, thus any "future buyers" have to be beyond that normal turn-over which is typically pretty hard.

(2.) This is because the buyer personas per age group don't generally change much - thus any design change risks losing the existing personas, so the "future buyer" cohort has to be so large it replaces change-loss; in the product world, that's been typically almost impossible. New Coke is great example - they had to bring back old coke (coke classic!).

(3.) "Future buyer" behavior is unknown - even if you can overcome turn-over loss and design-change loss with the numbers of future buyers, it's unknown whether these buyers are loyal an will stick around or if they'll buy and fly. That's an enormous risk.

If BMW is opening up a new market that's so large they can't not go for it (i.e., China) then the risk may be worth it, but it's an awfully big risk.

With all of that said, us loyal BMW-buyers will probably overlook a design fail after the fact (i.e., not buy the beaver, but also not be dissuaded from buying the post-beaver).

So, if BMW thinks China is big enough opportunity to take a design risk, I could understand that. On the other hand, if they think "future buyer" is in existing markets, then I think they're making a huge mistake and there are reams of examples: New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, McD Arch Deluxe, Frito-lay Wow chips with olestra, Blackberry storm, etc

and lets' not forget that original big grille!

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
gblansten837.50

      10-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #928
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3504
Rep
15,270
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The problem with this thesis is 3 fold:

(1.) There's always normal customer replacement: some try and move on, some age out of certain models, etc, thus any "future buyers" have to be beyond that normal turn-over which is typically pretty hard.

(2.) This is because the buyer personas per age group don't generally change much - thus any design change risks losing the existing personas, so the "future buyer" cohort has to be so large it replaces change-loss; in the product world, that's been typically almost impossible. New Coke is great example - they had to bring back old coke (coke classic!).

(3.) "Future buyer" behavior is unknown - even if you can overcome turn-over loss and design-change loss with the numbers of future buyers, it's unknown whether these buyers are loyal an will stick around or if they'll buy and fly. That's an enormous risk.

If BMW is opening up a new market that's so large they can't not go for it (i.e., China) then the risk may be worth it, but it's an awfully big risk.

With all of that said, us loyal BMW-buyers will probably overlook a design fail after the fact (i.e., not buy the beaver, but also not be dissuaded from buying the post-beaver).

So, if BMW thinks China is big enough opportunity to take a design risk, I could understand that. On the other hand, if they think "future buyer" is in existing markets, then I think they're making a huge mistake and there are reams of examples: New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, McD Arch Deluxe, Frito-lay Wow chips with olestra, Blackberry storm, etc

and lets' not forget that original big grille!


Well it's all supposition at this point, but I'm sure we'll revisit this topic over the next two years to see how BMW fares once these cars are available in various markets.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #929
MFNATIK
Major General
MFNATIK's Avatar
United_States
1378
Rep
2,941
Posts

Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 17 i3Rex, 05 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

The general rule in any good business arrangement is it is almost always cheaper to retain existing customers and clientele than it is to acquire new ones. BMW needs to be really careful right now. They're already losing a lot of 3 series buyers to Tesla so they can't afford to gamble like this on the upcoming 4 series.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott7494.50

      10-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #930
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3504
Rep
15,270
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
The general rule in any good business arrangement is it is almost always cheaper to retain existing customers and clientele than it is to acquire new ones. BMW needs to be really careful right now. They're already losing a lot of 3 series buyers to Tesla so they can't afford to gamble like this on the upcoming 4 series.
Past tense! The gamble is done.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #931
Astro_train
Private
17
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 19 M4
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DC Area

iTrader: (1)

sorry but there is nothing attractive about the G chassis M3/4 ... at least by looking at these renderings.

and while it is subjective... the Lexus designs are just as fugly for those that are praising them. The irony is that the G chassis 3 series really do look more like Toyotas than BMWs. Had a loaner 3 series and... it looks like a Camry. BMW needs to go back to their origins... and stay there. I get the cars have to change, but the grills and the JDM designs just aren't looking good.. my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #932
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3504
Rep
15,270
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_train View Post
sorry but there is nothing attractive about the G chassis M3/4 ... at least by looking at these renderings.

and while it is subjective... the Lexus designs are just as fugly for those that are praising them. The irony is that the G chassis 3 series really do look more like Toyotas than BMWs. Had a loaner 3 series and... it looks like a Camry. BMW needs to go back to their origins... and stay there. I get the cars have to change, but the grills and the JDM designs just aren't looking good.. my 2 cents.
Well I don't know how you see a Camry in the G20 design. Certain attributes are Lexus-esque, but Camry?!?! Naw!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #933
nublu2u
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: e46 M3/e92 M3/f82 M4/AMG A35
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Going to be interesting how this plays out in the US and European markets, does the kudos of owning an M car (that will very likely be excellent to drive) outweigh the ugliness of the car.

Going to be a difficult trick to pull off when the market is switching to SUV's/ hybrids/ EV's and the competition is so fierce.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #934
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5069
Rep
9,283
Posts

Drives: G11 740d xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The problem with this thesis is 3 fold:

(1.) There's always normal customer replacement: some try and move on, some age out of certain models, etc, thus any "future buyers" have to be beyond that normal turn-over which is typically pretty hard.

(2.) This is because the buyer personas per age group don't generally change much - thus any design change risks losing the existing personas, so the "future buyer" cohort has to be so large it replaces change-loss; in the product world, that's been typically almost impossible. New Coke is great example - they had to bring back old coke (coke classic!).

(3.) "Future buyer" behavior is unknown - even if you can overcome turn-over loss and design-change loss with the numbers of future buyers, it's unknown whether these buyers are loyal an will stick around or if they'll buy and fly. That's an enormous risk.

If BMW is opening up a new market that's so large they can't not go for it (i.e., China) then the risk may be worth it, but it's an awfully big risk.

With all of that said, us loyal BMW-buyers will probably overlook a design fail after the fact (i.e., not buy the beaver, but also not be dissuaded from buying the post-beaver).

So, if BMW thinks China is big enough opportunity to take a design risk, I could understand that. On the other hand, if they think "future buyer" is in existing markets, then I think they're making a huge mistake and there are reams of examples: New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, McD Arch Deluxe, Frito-lay Wow chips with olestra, Blackberry storm, etc
I approve this message and you're spot on IMO.

I'm in that demographic that grew up in the 70/80's with a father who always drove a Ford whilst I dreamed of BMWs so as soon as I could afford them I jumped straight in and after 20 years and 12 of them you could say I'm starting to drift in my views after 5 straight M cars I've now gone upstairs to the 7er, (pre LCI) however the LCI 7er to me looks fantastic it's a massive degree of change but I think it works. Whereas many of my demographic don't and have recoiled at it.

For me M cars have always been subtly beefed up versions of a fairly sedate looking but handsome base car, the F80 M3 was to my eyes quite a departure in terms of its visual drama especially if added spacers and the HAS kit, it looked mean and moody in a way that previous M cars just didn't.

The F8* series have been a success and I think we've all loved the more pumped up nature of these M cars, so perhaps this is a natural step (if a groin stretching one) to a car with much more road presence (see the LCI 7er for details) I think it's going to be much more expensive as well and therefore that demographic will demand more "show" for their "dough".

But to your original point, as you say it's a big risk but then again a faint heart never fucked a pig, as they say in the rural states....
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan3503.50

      Today, 01:27 AM   #935
boosted
enthusiast
boosted's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Next car, unless they fuck up and proceed with THAT fugly grill
__________________

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP flash tune (DME stg3/ trans stg1) only - 12.0@112.8mph
2016 340i x-drive - AA 8 piggyback tune

Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:37 AM   #936
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3504
Rep
15,270
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
Next car, unless they fuck up and proceed with THAT fugly grill
I don't think grilles will ever regress backward to smaller iterations. Once they're big, they remain big.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST