Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
I can't think of any BMW in recent memory that's had a flat bottom steering wheel. In my opinion they are gimmicky and uncomfortable.
So I also agree that flat bottom wheels are gimmicky. However, the RS4 steering wheel just looks awesome.

Just look at the perforated leather and that beautiful sculpting. I appreciate the tastefully thin looking spokes as opposed to the chunky spokes on the BMW M wheel. It's more like the previous M3 steering wheel really.

I personally think it would be perfect if it was round, but I'd rather have the RS4 steering wheel over the current M steering wheel.

This one is nice too:
Yup that's the ticket
      07-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #24
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
I can't think of any BMW in recent memory that's had a flat bottom steering wheel. In my opinion they are gimmicky and uncomfortable.
Would you be happy with the one in the photo if that was the final version?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Hugely appreciate the photos but does anyone else smell a BMW plant here... join date of today (but aware of the need for manual confirmation)... we get only the angle we need to confirm the manual (3 pedals) but the full interior layout remains hidden...

Seems they are working overtime to smooth ruffled feathers?
You are spot on. If these pics were taken by one of "us", we would've taken a ton of photos. We would have taken pics of the shifter, the interior, surely tried to get better grill photos, and probably would have been all up in the wheels and brakes too.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
hans007604.50
      07-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Am I taking crazy pills or am I the only one in this thread that remembers these are test mules.
Ya but the fact that its the same wheel as in the other new M cars ... one would surmise that it makes sense this would be the production wheel. Which, if i may say, is pretty sh*tty
Oh so you're just generally shitting on anything that's not a E46 or E90
Brash assumption but no, I've own every 3 series since e36 and as a human I've just got my opinions and wishes. Not shitting on it just sayin I don't like the new M steering wheels theyve developed. There's no sport in it what so ever when u see it compared to say a flat bottom design from Audi - that's badass.
I'm not a fan either, but because I liken that design with Audi's, I don't mind it......in an Audi. I'm glad we don't have flat bottom steering wheels in the ///M's.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #27
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hugely appreciate the photos but does anyone else smell a BMW plant here... join date of today (but aware of the need for manual confirmation)... we get only the angle we need to confirm the manual (3 pedals) but the full interior layout remains hidden...

Whoa didn't pickup on that, I like how u think. Nice work Sherlock I'd have to agree.
      07-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #28
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:

Whoa didn't pickup on that, I like how u think. Nice work Sherlock I'd have to agree.
Thought of that but could also be a lurker who doesn't usually have much input and all of a sudden struck oil and wanted to share ... could go either way. Definitely will keep me on the hook tho and prevent me from buying something else before the M3 is announced... probably.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #29
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why am I repeating myself so many gdamn times. Are we that obtuse? Do we really have to go around and around nitpicking details from spy photos of test mules?

That wheel it is the final version. It's the same M Sport steering wheel on all the GXX series cars and F90 M5, X3M and M8. In the picture it's got some camouflage tape and it's dirty but otherwise it's the same wheel. The M3/4 never got its own bespoke steering wheel. Don't like it? There will be plenty of awful carbon fiber flat bottom flat top, missing top, square, whatever you want you can swap it out easily. And if BMW throws a curveball and gives it a bespoke steering I'm sure all of you will still hate it and the exhaust note and the big muffler and the taillights and the big grille.
Jeez calm down
Appreciate 1
Negtvions208.50
      07-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #30
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmodel3 View Post
why am i repeating myself so many gdamn times. Are we that obtuse? Do we really have to go around and around nitpicking details from spy photos of test mules?

That wheel it is the final version. It's the same m sport steering wheel on all the gxx series cars and f90 m5, x3m and m8. In the picture it's got some camouflage tape and it's dirty but otherwise it's the same wheel. The m3/4 never got its own bespoke steering wheel. Don't like it? There will be plenty of awful carbon fiber flat bottom flat top, missing top, square, whatever you want you can swap it out easily. And if bmw throws a curveball and gives it a bespoke steering i'm sure all of you will still hate it and the exhaust note and the big muffler and the taillights and the big grille.
jeez calm down
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Lee808230.50
      07-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #31
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
No M1/M2 buttons?

T
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      07-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #32
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

Quote:
Quote:
Am I taking crazy pills or am I the only one in this thread that remembers these are test mules.
Ya but the fact that its the same wheel as in the other new M cars ... one would surmise that it makes sense this would be the production wheel. Which, if i may say, is pretty sh*tty
Same wheel as my M5, and although it feels nice, I agree it looks uninspiring. Visually, it's one of my least favorite parts of the newer M cars.

The red M buttons are awesome though. Just wish it was better looking.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
No M1/M2 buttons?

T
It looks like they are there, just covered in black tape.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      07-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
Mdoa
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro GD View Post
Today I was driving home back from work when I spotted some g80 m3 with full camo. Obviously I went to have a look and found out that one of the cars was manual. So it's for sure there will be a manual version.
The three pedals picture is not enough. I need to see the picture with an actual stick shift to confirm
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #35
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoa View Post
The three pedals picture is not enough. I need to see the picture with an actual stick shift to confirm
Yea maybe that's not a clutch and just a third M button
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 7
Mdoa29.00
kern4174442.00
Lee808230.50
Tuscan221.50
BLACK OPS107.50
      07-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:

My man!!! I was about to post similar observations! (join date, first post confirming manual transmission with camo pics)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #37
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
So I also agree that flat bottom wheels are gimmicky.
I disagree. They look sporty and unique.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #38
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Jeez calm down
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      07-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #39
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I disagree. They look sporty and unique.
Hmm, I don't like how you cut off what I said. I said:
Quote:
So I also agree that flat bottom wheels are gimmicky. However, the RS4 steering wheel just looks awesome.
Gimmicky means a method to attract attention. It doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it or that it's not attractive. The wheel as a whole does look good, but you know very well the flat bottom was made to attract attention; to pretend that it is a sports car. It serves zero actual function. I'm not saying it doesn't look unique or sporty. I think it absolutely does. It's just like how fake vents or fake exhausts look sporty (though more people seem to rag on those).

Audi put it in there as a gimmick because it serves no practical function and is there purely as a design element. The flat bottom is not deep enough to make any meaningful difference for ingress/egress since the cars they're put in don't have full roll cages limiting space and also don't have race car seats with massive bolsters that get in the way.
Appreciate 2
CP911985.50
      07-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #40
Mdoa
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Yea maybe that's not a clutch and just a third M button
Nope I afraid that is a dummy pedal for you to work out your left leg while driving!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #41
Alvaro GD
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 3.0sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:

You are spot on. If these pics were taken by one of "us", we would've taken a ton of photos. We would have taken pics of the shifter, the interior, surely tried to get better grill photos, and probably would have been all up in the wheels and brakes too.
I was in a hurry and when I was going to take another photo of the front grill, the engineers who where driving the car tried to take my phone and threatened to hit me
I also didn't photograph the gear lever because it was covered, same as the seats. It was de only car that had the steering wheel and pedals uncovered
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #42
Alvaro GD
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 3.0sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
No M1/M2 buttons?

T
It had them, just covered with tape
Sorry guys, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to take more photos
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #43
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was in a hurry and when I was going to take another photo of the front grill, the engineers who where driving the car tried to take my phone and threatened to hit me
I also didn't photograph the gear lever because it was covered, same as the seats. It was de only car that had the steering wheel and pedals uncovered
They threatened to hit you? Wow. Kinda turns me off to the M brand a little. If they are that worried about some leaked photos they should park it inside.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #44
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They threatened to hit you? Wow. Kinda turns me off to the M brand a little. If they are that worried about some leaked photos they should park it inside.
Don't buy into that, this is sounding more and more like a "story". Great to get confirm on the MT but let's leave it at that now and move on, nothing else worthwhile to see here.
M-Pilot4859.00