Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Protecting an outdoor-stored car during 36 month lease

09-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Question Protecting an outdoor-stored car during 36 month lease

Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster here. I recently ordered a 2021 M340i (Portimao Blue, black grille, black 19 inch wheels) and am doing some research to make sure I'm as prepared (overprepared?) as possible.

I will be storing this car off-street, but I live in an urban area so it will be adjacent to an alley. I live in Virginia, so there isn't much snow but we do get plenty of rain and it gets very hot and humid in the summer. I want to protect the car from the elements as well as a cat that likes to walk all over my current G37 and leave pawprints (). Obviously I want it to look as nice as possible without going overboard. I will be paying to have whatever potential treatment done to it after getting the car versus doing it myself and honestly don't really trust myself a lot to do anything too intensive.

Here is what I've gathered so far (please feel free to correct me):
  • Car covers are bad because they can cause scratches due to wind unless you religiously wipe your car down every time before putting it on (my initial plan for the car was to cover when not using, as I work from home so it may go for days without being driven at times, but now that may not be an option)

• Ceramic coatings/PPF are something I'm interested in, but I understand that some options would be overboard for a 36 month lease and moreso for an owner who will be keeping the car for an indefinite amount of time

• Some options of ceramic/PPF are more suited for some types of owners than others. For example, someone who needs the car to look flawless always for meets/shows etc may end up getting it polished more often so that may dictate a different product than someone who wants to get work done immediately upon leasing the car, then maybe just upkeep as necessary?

• Ceramic can provide a "wet paint" type of look? I haven't really seen a good example of this but that's probably because I haven't really looked for it in person or found a good example photo online, but I love the sounds of this.

With all that in mind, if you were in my position what would you recommend that I do after picking up the car once it's delivered? I figure getting whatever I need done ASAP is a good idea, right?
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

If it were me, I'd just do a DIY ceramic coating myself, most likely after a DIY paint correction. Or, if that's too 'advanced' for you to DIY, use a sealant like Powerlock. Keeping in mind none of these will give you the protection that PPF will.

Ceramic will only give a 'wet' look if the car is washed and clean. Honestly, the best wet looks oftentimes from a carnauba wax, which has the least amount of durability.

Ceramics are being marketed as this one solution to everything. Yes, it's more durable than a sealant. But your paint will still scratch with a ceramic coating. And, while water will bead, it won't keep the car clean by itself. You will still need to do maintenance washes and top/maintain the ceramic coating. Hence my suggestion for a much simpler, and cheaper, DIY sealant, too.

If you want protection from physical damage to the paint, ie scratches, you need a film. But that's going to cost you more.

There is a lot here to unpack, as the sealant, ceramic, PPF discussion can get pretty esoteric, but this is my quick response. If you have anymore specific questions, let me know.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

BenitoBlanco enjoy that car when it comes.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayB View Post
BenitoBlanco enjoy that car when it comes.
Thank you, I certainly plan on it!
      09-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
enginediver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue 2018 F80

I just sold my M3 and I'm waiting on the M340...

The M3 was ceramic coated and I definitely plan on doing the same on the 340. I live in an apt and the car sleeps outside, not covered. I just pressure wash it with just water once a week and hand wash every 2-3. It always looked clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginediver View Post
I just sold my M3 and I'm waiting on the M340...

The M3 was ceramic coated and I definitely plan on doing the same on the 340. I live in an apt and the car sleeps outside, not covered. I just pressure wash it with just water once a week and hand wash every 2-3. It always looked clean.
Thanks for the info! Good to know it was so effective. Your M3 looked great!

Can I ask which ceramic product you used? Also unrelated - what % tint and interior color in that picture?
      09-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
enginediver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenitoBlanco View Post
Thanks for the info! Good to know it was so effective. Your M3 looked great!

Can I ask which ceramic product you used? Also unrelated - what % tint and interior color in that picture?
Thanks! I took it to a professional place near me. It was about 1200 but they put 4 coats and give you a 15 year warranty. I prob saved that much in waxes over the years haha.

The tint was 35...I wished I would've gone 20, which I will on the M340
Appreciate 1