10-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Best Man Speech

Gentlemen:

I need your advice.

I am the best man at my best friend's wedding this Sunday and need to write a speech. I have never done this before and can't say that I am great at writing speeches. I am a decent public speaker and can set a tone, but need some advice from those of you who have had the honor to be a best man before and gave a good speech.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Watch "Four Wedding and a Funeral" movie. It's all the instruction you'll need. Humor and reminiscence always works
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
TheSpungos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Tanzanite/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpuntik View Post
Gentlemen:

I need your advice.

I am the best man at my best friend's wedding this Sunday and need to write a speech. I have never done this before and can't say that I am great at writing speeches. I am a decent public speaker and can set a tone, but need some advice from those of you who have had the honor to be a best man before and gave a good speech.

Thanks in advance guys!
It looks like you're already doing the only advice I can give you - write it out beforehand and know what you're going to say. You don't need to read off a script, but think about what you want to say. Don't just stand up and wing it - I've heard some of the absolute worst speeches this way.

Advice to anyone who has this honor - It's the biggest day of the groom's life so far, you owe it to them to at least think about it and make it meaningful.

good luck man - relax and you'll be fine!
      10-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Watch "Four Wedding and a Funeral" movie. It's all the instruction you'll need. Humor and reminiscence always works
Exactly. As you know, a "Wing Man" is a buddy that builds you up and makes you look and sound better to help you get chicks, saying the things that - if they came from you - would be sappy or bragging. The Best Man Speech is the ultimate challenge of the Wing Man - rise to it!

That said, there are two Dos and two Donts: 1) Do reminisce about how long you've known the guy, how great he is and how close you are, to stage your credibility for 2) Do ruminate on how this wonderful woman has made his life, your life, and the planet in general better. Since they met, global warming has been abated, gas has dropped to $1/gallon, and Britney's getting her life back together. 3) Don't mention any other women in the groom's life - not old girlfriends, not his sisters, her sisters, not even his dead mother who you wish could have lived to see this. It's the bride's day and she is the sole female referred to in any public speaking, either by name or pronoun. 4) Don't try to be funny.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
ae8t6ix
Friends don't let friends apex early
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325I

Garage List
1985 Corolla GT-s  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I attended a wedding recently and the maid of honor's speech was horrible, she felt compelled to mention herself and her role throughout the speech. She pretty much made the speech about her . Don't be that person and you should be fine.

My best man speech for my brother was a simple quote from the man book, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Speeches are usually reserved for presentations and power points. However you do want to be thoughtful in what you say. You know him best - He is your best friend. Just act natural, and the rest will follow

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae8t6ix View Post
I attended a wedding recently and the maid of honor's speech was horrible, she felt compelled to mention herself and her role throughout the speech. She pretty much made the speech about her . Don't be that person and you should be fine.

My best man speech for my brother was a simple quote from the man book, nuff said.
I've never seen that happen, but know what you mean and that's bullshit.

I would say jot down some of your most memorable memories (the ones that are safe to tell ) and then write out a speech from there.

I personally can't just read a speech and would probably go freestyle.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

google best + man + speeches for some tips

Also, speech at :51 seconds:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwZDXmUBWk8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwZDXmUBWk8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
http://www.thebestmanspeech.com/

believe it not, this site has you covered. One hour on it and you'll have your speech.

And this video is amazing:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/779910...st_man_speech/