Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Noisy cars?Barking dogs? failure of economics?

10-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Noisy cars?Barking dogs? failure of economics?

So a friend of mine had asked me this question, and thought it was interesting.

He said there was a problem discussed that Almost everybody he knows dislikes traffic noise. Homes on corners have more traffic noise than those on the middle or other parts, yet the ones on the corner cost the same price per square foot of house as those in the middle! why is this??

-I suggested that not all corners have equal amounts of traffic, but additionally, the houses on the corners also have more land for landscaping etc...but I wasn't able to conclude to why they are the same price per square foot as those in the middle....

any clue?

Similarly, he said that he knew quite a few people that really hated barking dogs, but he couldn't find any subdivision where the deed restriction banned keeping dogs. He was wondering if this too was "a failure of neo-classical economics to successfully predict."
-lost on this one....assuming it partly has to do w/ one's freedom rights, where the right to own a pet comes into play? But you are on the other hand allowed to report noise in your neighborhood for disturbance of the peace - but I don't know how much the police can do to keep dogs shut...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

any ideas? spit away!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

this thread fails sorry
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

my neighbors dog barks all night long, sometimes i just wanna fucking kill it
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

my dog will bark when theres a deer or animal lurking outside. the dogs that bark all night should be put to sleep
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
my dog will bark when theres a deer or animal lurking outside. the dogs that bark all night should be put to sleep
what i dont understand is how the owner isnt going as crazy as i am. the dog will literally bark from like 10pm-4am
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
AryoBarzan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Why? Most likely because nobody thinks that way. Nobody thinks about how much more noise is caused on corners (unless those corners intersect a freeway/busy highway) so the real estate agents are able to jack up the price of the house to those of its surrounding 'less noisy' homes. At the same time, I dont think that the amount of noise between a corner house and middle house is significant to the point where residents will turn down a good priced corner house because of noise. This is of course, holding constant that the corner house isn't intersecting a busy highway/freeway.

I am not really qualified to answer the dog-noise question, but I can say that there is generally nothing you can do about a barking dog besides have the police speak with the owner. However, depending on the amount of people in the neighborhood complaining, I'm sure more drastic measures can be taken if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

but like, you guys get what i'm saying?

I'm just lost as to how to answer....

for example, why can't neighborhoods ban dogs and why can't corner houses be less expensive because they have more noise pollution?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

for example, why can't neighborhoods ban dogs and why can't corner houses be less expensive because they have more noise pollution?
they only places i can think of where animals could be banned are apartments, condos, etc. if you live in a normal, suburban neighborhood, then i dont think anyone has any right to tell you what animal you can have in your home (unless its illegal). as far as the less expensive corner homes; i dont think the noise is a substantial reason to lower the price of a home, unless you live next to an airport or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Yeah, that's basically what I told him, but for some reason, this question really had me stumped, studying eco and all... =/

guess there is still plenty to learn...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z

The M3 (physically) inside the dealership has the same MSRP as the M3 (physically) outside the dealership. The M3 outside is susceptible to rain, and bird poop, but why does it cost the same?*

*=Negotiations is not taken into accounts. This is judging by MSRP. Just like how much you pay for land can be negotiated, so can a deal on a car. Shitty analogy, I know.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

You're friend obviously is focusing on hearing passing cars. I have friends that live on corners and I rarely hear cars drive by.

Bottom line, cars pass by all homes whether corner or not. Why did your friend choose a corner house. That's his own fault? Should have bought a house at the end of a coldasack.

How much cheaper should a corner home be than the others? Price is indicitive of the comparable homes in the closest surrounding area.

Ask your friend if he would be pissed that his home sold for $25K less than the home that was exactly the same 3 homes down?

And banning dogs? Fucking stupid. I hate barking dogs as much as anyone, but it's a rarity imo. And that's when you have a civilized discussion with your neighbor about their loud dog.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Isn't corner lots more desirable, more expensive?
      10-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
The M3 (physically) inside the dealership has the same MSRP as the M3 (physically) outside the dealership. The M3 outside is susceptible to rain, and bird poop, but why does it cost the same?*

*=Negotiations is not taken into accounts. This is judging by MSRP. Just like how much you pay for land can be negotiated, so can a deal on a car. Shitty analogy, I know.

Ha! good example, I like that...

Hmm...basically what I got was that corner lots = more room, but you have to deal w/ the noise. It's a tradeoff which neutralizes the price in a way....but then there are certain externalities which you can't control like barking dogs....

Thanks for all your help guys....there will be more to come!
Appreciate 0