Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What's the 330e like once the battery is depleted?

01-21-2024, 09:09 AM   #45
jcl78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xDrive

I take a slightly different approach, I never let the battery drop below the fourth battery segment, leaving 25% indicated (not the built in reserve ---) until I am heading home for the day. My commute is 18 miles round trip daily, so most days I never use fuel and stay in electric (not hybrid) mode. However, if I am running errands during lunch for example, I will switch to sport mode to keep the ICE engaged (you can also use the battery hold mode which isn't as fun) to reserve that indicated 25% remaining for preconditioning, aircon, etc.

While in sport mode, it is charging the battery along with regenerative braking. I like to keep the ICE engaged long enough to allow it to reach full operating temp (you can see coolant temp in the live vehicle view while in sport mode) before
switching back to electric for the final leg of the journey home. I time this to where I pull into my garage with less than 1 mile of indicated range remaining.

This does take some planning, however I appreciate this approach as I am in control of the battery and I always have preconditioning ready. In addition, the ICE gets to experience full operating temps, burn off carbon deposits, etc. instead of seeing bursts of operation, then shutting down. Because of this, I hardly use either hybrid mode. Electric mode gives you much better power and control of the electric motor, in hybrid it feels sluggish prior to kicking in the ICE. This is due to the throttle tuning in hybrid mode only allowing a certain amount of pedal travel prior to kicking in the ICE, and it doesn't feel as good to me as in electric mode.

In electric mode you can floor it, get the most power available from only the electric motor, and it is smooth and quick enough for every day traffic. If you hit the kick down switch it will still switch to hybrid and fire up the ICE, but you have the whole pedal range prior to that to modulate the throttle.

This is my favorite way to drive the 330e, I always have available battery for all features, it never feels sluggish, and I averaged 93.2MPG since last June when I received delivery. I know someone will ask, I use MPG here as that is an actual indicator of gasoline used (1828 miles driven, 1361 in electric only, 19.6 gallons of fuel used, I pay 8 cents a kWh, 80 cents per full charge for a total of $53 in electricity over that time).

Last edited by jcl78; 01-21-2024 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0