Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Adapative Cruise Control

08-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 330i xDrive

Adapative Cruise Control

Long Story Short, my 2023 330i is about to be finished, however, I just found out Adaptive Cruise Control is not available for 3 series nor the 4 series(stupid me, I thought it was included in the driving assistance package which I ordered). It is weird, because I assumed they were standard given all the videos I watched, older G20 330i had them, and also 2023 comes with iDrive8 being more "advanced" doesn't come with that. Even lesser "luxury" cars like accord, this is a standard feature. Every other month, I would go on a long drive, it is handy to have ACC. Does anyone know if you could add one after production?
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
redarchon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillsp View Post
Long Story Short, my 2023 330i is about to be finished, however, I just found out Adaptive Cruise Control is not available for 3 series nor the 4 series(stupid me, I thought it was included in the driving assistance package which I ordered). It is weird, because I assumed they were standard given all the videos I watched, older G20 330i had them, and also 2023 comes with iDrive8 being more "advanced" doesn't come with that. Even lesser "luxury" cars like accord, this is a standard feature. Every other month, I would go on a long drive, it is handy to have ACC. Does anyone know if you could add one after production?
The regular driving assistance package just has blind spot monitoring and lane departure (not lane keeping) - you need the driving assistance pro package for the adaptive cruise and the lane keeping, and it also includes stop/go for traffic jams and lane change on the highways.
I have the regular DA package on my 2020 330i and it doesn't really add very much, this is a common gripe from folks that BMW makes you pay extra for something like this.

I don't think it is currently available on the 2023 330i or 430i due to parts shortages, but is available on the M340i and (I think) the M440i.

There were a couple threads about retrofitting to the X5, but it requires additional cameras, sensors, and coding - I haven't seen a definitive answer if it was doable on the older 330i's and I don't think there will be an easy answer for the LCI since it's so new. I don't think it would be easy even if it's possible.

Edit: Found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...trol_retrofit/

Last edited by redarchon; 08-12-2022 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: adding link
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redarchon View Post
Quote:
The regular driving assistance package just has blind spot monitoring and lane departure (not lane keeping) - you need the driving assistance pro package for the adaptive cruise and the lane keeping, and it also includes stop/go for traffic jams and lane change on the highways.
I have the regular DA package on my 2020 330i and it doesn't really add very much, this is a common gripe from folks that BMW makes you pay extra for something like this.

I don't think it is currently available on the 2023 330i or 430i due to parts shortages, but is available on the M340i and (I think) the M440i.

There were a couple threads about retrofitting to the X5, but it requires additional cameras, sensors, and coding - I haven't seen a definitive answer if it was doable on the older 330i's and I don't think there will be an easy answer for the LCI since it's so new. I don't think it would be easy even if it's possible.

Edit: Found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...trol_retrofit/
Thanks for the reply. Ya I got that only the assistance pro gives you that. It just gets me upset not being able to do it even though you want to. Chip shortage isnt the excuse here because almost every car in other brand has it.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
redarchon
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Ya I got that only the assistance pro gives you that. It just gets me upset not being able to do it even though you want to. Chip shortage isnt the excuse here because almost every car in other brand has it.
Completely agree - but it's just part of what we have to deal with here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...trol_retrofit/

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1872993

It looks like it might be possible but you'd be in uncharted territory, especially with the LCI since some of the hardware probably changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #5
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

It looks like it might be possible but you'd be in uncharted territory, especially with the LCI since some of the hardware probably changed.

Do you have it with your 2020? Because it looks like older G20 3 series has it, 2020 or 2021 model, a lot of test videos in China showcase that.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
redarchon
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have it with your 2020? Because it looks like older G20 3 series has it, 2020 or 2021 model, a lot of test videos in China showcase that.
I have the regular driving assistant - which is pretty worthless - I only have that fully turned on for long highway drives just in case I'm sloppy/tired and start drifting out of the lane.
When I originally got the car (didn't order, dealer trade) DA Pro packages were very rare and they couldn't find one that was available with the other options I wanted, so I thought I'd 'settle' with the regular option but didn't research it well enough... live and learn.

I thought about retrofitting as well at one point - but looked into it and hit this same wall, about the same time I was deciding on a new car.

I have an M340 on order which just finished assembly this week - the DA Pro package was something I definitely made sure was included this time around, especially since I've seen videos on how well it works like above.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have the regular driving assistant - which is pretty worthless - I only have that fully turned on for long highway drives just in case I'm sloppy/tired and start drifting out of the lane.
When I originally got the car (didn't order, dealer trade) DA Pro packages were very rare and they couldn't find one that was available with the other options I wanted, so I thought I'd 'settle' with the regular option but didn't research it well enough... live and learn.

I thought about retrofitting as well at one point - but looked into it and hit this same wall, about the same time I was deciding on a new car.

I have an M340 on order which just finished assembly this week - the DA Pro package was something I definitely made sure was included this time around, especially since I've seen videos on how well it works like above.
Yeah, I got mine finishing early next week. But I just learned that, I'm really not sure what to do now. M is out of my range, one of the reasons why I wanted 330i is because of the new facelift and the big screen(my original fav was Audi, but they didn't get any big screen or Facelift). I could pull the plug now because I haven't paid in full/down payment yet, and go for an Audi a4 with full package(that literally costs less than what I have right now with all the things). But BMW does have the best adaptive cruise control of all, I'm not sure if I should ask dealer to have some modern 330i or 430i that has it, but more likely the color combos won't be to my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
luke646
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Hate to hear this. I have a 330i finishing this week and figured the ACC would have been standard as well since I didn't even see another option to choose it. Don't think it will be a deal breaker for me as i don't use my normal CC very much but still very disappointing
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
Johnsmyname
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330iX, E46 330Ci

I just learned from this thread as well. Really not cool as this will be a daily driver and I highway drive 40 min to work everyday. One of the reasons I was buying this car was for "comfort".
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:46 PM   #10
ham340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

While it will definitely be doable to add it down the road it will also be a lot more expensive. After all is said and done you will probably pay close to 3x the amount the option costs to add to a new car. Have you thought about backing out of your current deal and reordering?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #11
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham340 View Post
While it will definitely be doable to add it down the road it will also be a lot more expensive. After all is said and done you will probably pay close to 3x the amount the option costs to add to a new car. Have you thought about backing out of your current deal and reordering?
you can't. there's literally no option for it in any 3 or 4 series. Only 5 or M3, M4. 2022 or older models could use a retrofit kit, costs about 2k, but you need someone to install it. 2023 and newer, the hardware kit is still available, but even if you install it, it would not show up in your iDrive 8 because it's not code-able yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #12
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

ACC for G20

I don’t understand why ACC is a standalone $550 option on the G42 and not available on G20 or new X1. Makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
ponylover52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Yah have a X1 ordered and can’t help but be bummed, granted I could just wait to order but I want it now
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
For some reason, it is offered on the M340 and not the 330. I previously found this to be similar to the 4 series and X3.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2022, 01:57 AM   #15
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
For some reason, it is offered on the M340 and not the 330. I previously found this to be similar to the 4 series and X3.
I think it is BMW being cheap and wanting the customer to go for the higher model if they needed it. Which is stupid because sometimes the guys who wants M would want to drive the car themselves more than a daily driver, so a lot of them opt'd out the option.

I'm not sure the chip shortage issue should be an excuse here, every other car company even toyota, honda has ACC in their default model which costs almost half of what BMW offers. Us being in 2022 and not being able to have ACC as a standard or option is ridiculous, especially for a car that costs 50k+.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #16
Johnsmyname
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330iX, E46 330Ci

Quote:
I think it is BMW being cheap and wanting the customer to go for the higher model if they needed it. Which is stupid because sometimes the guys who wants M would want to drive the car themselves more than a daily driver, so a lot of them opt'd out the option.

I'm not sure the chip shortage issue should be an excuse here, every other car company even toyota, honda has ACC in their default model which costs almost half of what BMW offers. Us being in 2022 and not being able to have ACC as a standard or option is ridiculous, especially for a car that costs 50k+.
+1,000 to this. Very disappointed in BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:15 AM   #17
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Yea the X3 situation is nuts. You need to buy a damn X3M to get ACC! Crazy.
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2022, 01:30 PM   #18
Norra Norra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

I plan to order another 330e once ACC returns as an option. Assuming used car prices hold up it shouldn't be too bad to flip the first car on a trade in. Does anyone have an idea how they will confirm AGI eligibility in 2023 considering the dealer will handle the credit?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 09:02 PM   #19
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norra Norra View Post
I plan to order another 330e once ACC returns as an option. Assuming used car prices hold up it shouldn't be too bad to flip the first car on a trade in. Does anyone have an idea how they will confirm AGI eligibility in 2023 considering the dealer will handle the credit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norra Norra View Post
Idk, Im also planning similar thing, its rumored that engine updates on Mar next year and minor cosmetic update July next year. So these will likely be the time if any new options will be available. Hopefully Dap and pap packages will be available soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:46 PM   #20
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

By the way, guys, if any of you guys, not from 2023 LCI stumbled upon this thread and wanted ACC on your car, I did some research and it seems pretty popular and relatively easy to do.

https://www.taobao.com/list/product/...2%E5%BA%94.htm

So basically, it seems like it's really easy to get a complete kit in China, the link above was a search for "bmw acc kit" on taobao(chinese amazon, but better). They sell you a complete retrofit kit for ACC and ACC PRO for pre-LCI 3,4,5(including X),etc. If you live in China, they would install it for you(the kit price includes labor). It costs about a few hundred to up to 3k usd for a complete kit. If you can't read Chinese, you may find someone who can, order the kit and have some kind of logistics to send them over to U.S.(because taobao china doesn't ship oversea), but then you have to find a dealer/MOD shop to install them for you.

But be WARNED: according to my cousin who works in BMW service center, installing such kit will void your warranty and might get your car blacklisted from service center. So, unless your car is already out of warrenty, I do not recommend to do so. For LCI models, I asked one of the shops who sells these, the hardware kit is the same/available, but it's unable to do so because it requires iDrive system to recognize/open acc feature. The current kit that they sell, includes idrive 7 coding that unlocks DAP/ACC. However, since we can't code iDrive8 yet, it's not available for LCI models atm.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2022, 11:14 PM   #21
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
might get your car blacklisted from service center.
Didn't know this was a thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:39 AM   #22
gillsp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
might get your car blacklisted from service center.
Didn't know this was a thing.
according to my cousin, bmw scans ur car and its pretty easy to get flagged
Appreciate 0