Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B46 330e with Active Autowerke DP

11-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #45
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive 2021

Garage List
I noticed my FF and PWM (WGDC) curves has a negative curve which affects the shape of the boost curve. I don’t really like that it is a negative curve beginning of the pull so I decided to experiment and set FF back to 50 and lowered Duty bias below 40 starting at 4k rpm. I wanted to have a positive FF/PWM curve rather than negative one at the beginning of the pull and have the same smoothness on the boosts at the higher rpms. The result is was exactly what I expected. My FF/PWM curves are positive at the beginng of the pull and the boosts are pretty much the same as when I set FF to 20. Now I don’t know the details as to why lol. I believe FF and DB affects the shape of boost curve. PID affects how far FF can be from PWM and ideally you want them close or similar. I didn’t fix the throttle closure but my FF/PWM curve is positive and both are close to each other.

the fist graph below is when FF was set to 20 and DB are below that at the higher rpms. You can see FF and WGDC are negative curved and has more distance between each other.

the second graph is when FF was set to 50 and DB are below that at higher rpms.
You can see FF and WGDC are positive and they are very close to each other.

As far as throttle closure for my car, it’s still a mystery to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #46
cola.p
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330eJL View Post
I noticed my FF and PWM (WGDC) curves has a negative curve which affects the shape of the boost curve. I don’t really like that it is a negative curve beginning of the pull so I decided to experiment and set FF back to 50 and lowered Duty bias below 40 starting at 4k rpm. I wanted to have a positive FF/PWM curve rather than negative one at the beginning of the pull and have the same smoothness on the boosts at the higher rpms. The result is was exactly what I expected. My FF/PWM curves are positive at the beginng of the pull and the boosts are pretty much the same as when I set FF to 20. Now I don’t know the details as to why lol. I believe FF and DB affects the shape of boost curve. PID affects how far FF can be from PWM and ideally you want them close or similar. I didn’t fix the throttle closure but my FF/PWM curve is positive and both are close to each other.

the fist graph below is when FF was set to 20 and DB are below that at the higher rpms. You can see FF and WGDC are negative curved and has more distance between each other.

330eJL Can you enable DME_BT in the graph? I wanna see both DME_BT and ECU_PSI together.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #47
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cola.p View Post
330eJL Can you enable DME_BT in the graph? I wanna see both DME_BT and ECU_PSI together.
For the first two graphs, FF was set to 20 and DB was set to 30 from 5.5k rpm(1st graph) and 5k rpm (2nd graph)

The last three graphs, FF was set to 20 DB was set to 0 from 5K, 5.5k.

i guess I can set FF to 50 and DB to 0 from about 5k rpm and see if ECU_PSI will be much lower than the DME_BT. i don’t think it will honestly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 04:50 PM   #48
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@[cola.p]
Here’s a graph of a 1/4mile run i did a while back where you can see my throttle through out the gears are low even though my ECU_PSI is lower than DME_BT. This actually one of my faster 1/4 mile runs.

Maybe this “throttle fix” doesn’t apply to 330e’s. I really don’t know. But I’m glad I fixed my boost oscillations lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:20 PM   #49
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:

330eJL
From my understanding, Duty Bias = 0 is equal to 50 (default). I have read somewhere. Then you might try DB = 20 or 15 from 5,000rpm this should pull ecu_psi under dme_bt. Not sure it will help or this will not fix 330e throttle closure issue as you said.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:13 PM   #50
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
330eJL
From my understanding, Duty Bias = 0 is equal to 50 (default). I have read somewhere. Then you might try DB = 20 or 15 from 5,000rpm this should pull ecu_psi under dme_bt. Not sure it will help or this will not fix 330e throttle closure issue as you said.
i think if you set all DB through out the rpm range to 0 is the same as the default which is 50 all through out the rpm range. I could be wrong though. I also tried 30, 20, 10 and 0 and throttle still the same. I remember experimenting with ASBR and I got the throttle to open up. I set them to 80 and 100. I was trying to figure out my boost spike after shifts and for some reason my throttle started to open up. Here are the graphs showing that. In the second image, the logs are runs from 1st to 3rd gear. You can see in the third gear, throttle was open. I actually posted this in jb4tech.com a few months ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #51
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
i think if you set all DB through out the rpm range to 0 is the same as the default which is 50 all through out the rpm range. I could be wrong though. I also tried 30, 20, 10 and 0 and throttle still the same. I remember experimenting with ASBR and I got the throttle to open up. I set them to 80 and 100. I was trying to figure out my boost spike after shifts and for some reason my throttle started to open up. Here are the graphs showing that. In the second image, the logs are runs from 1st to 3rd gear. You can see in the third gear, throttle was open. I actually posted this in jb4tech.com a few months ago.
330eJL Okay I see.

Throttle on 2nd image looks great! Because off ASBR adjustment? How does it work? and what is your best ASBR setting? I tried to figure it out for a while but very tiny information on the Internet.

By the way, could you please give me some tips for dragy 100-200kph? Which gear and what speed to push 100% pedal?

Last edited by cola.p; 11-12-2023 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:42 PM   #52
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
330eJL Okay I see.

Throttle on 2nd image looks great! Because off ASBR adjustment? How does it work? and what is your best ASBR setting? I tried to figure it out for a while but very tiny information on the Internet.

By the way, could you please give me some tips for dragy 100-200kph? Which gear and what speed to push 100% pedal?
From what I understand, raising ASBR prevents boosts from spiking too high soon after shifts. I don’t know exactly how it opened up my throttle during those runs. The best setting for me was at 80 after trying 70, 90 and 100. But I didn’t see any performance gains and infact the car ran a bit slower. I probably needed to higher the boost a bit but I rather not make boost targets any higher. I put it back to 60 which is default.

Currently for my car, I get the best 100-200km/h time by using the paddle shifters and shifting at 6k rpm to 4th gear and to 5th gear and shifting at 5.5k rpm going to 6th gear. With my boost targets and dp, the turbo spools faster but also loses steam sooner so I have to shift sooner than when it does on auto. I think if I can get rid of the speed limiter, my time will be faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 09:58 PM   #53
cola.p
Private
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand, raising ASBR prevents boosts from spiking too high soon after shifts. I don’t know exactly how it opened up my throttle during those runs. The best setting for me was at 80 after trying 70, 90 and 100. But I didn’t see any performance gains and infact the car ran a bit slower. I probably needed to higher the boost a bit but I rather not make boost targets any higher. I put it back to 60 which is default.

Currently for my car, I get the best 100-200km/h time by using the paddle shifters and shifting at 6k rpm to 4th gear and to 5th gear and shifting at 5.5k rpm going to 6th gear. With my boost targets and dp, the turbo spools faster but also loses steam sooner so I have to shift sooner than when it does on auto. I think if I can get rid of the speed limiter, my time will be faster.
330eJL Thank you
Seems like ASBR would not be a way to go stick at default value.

For 100-200, as you guided, I need to practice a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #54
gorthol
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2021

Garage List
2021 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Hi 330eJL did you fix your throttle closure issues? I installed a month a ago a JB4 on my 330e, and while the car runs great on map 1 or 2 (with 93 gas), I see throttle closures similar to yours on the logs at around 5300RPMs. However I also see the same throttle closures at map 0...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:06 PM   #55
GAZU
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Hey, I was thinking about making a 500HP 330i build, I think the engine does have the potential for that, so far with a simple downpipe, exhaust, stage 1, and cold air intake I would be pushing close to 340hp, I was thinking about putting a stage 2 turbo on it and then doing a stage 2 remap, which could put me closer to 450hp, but I don't know what else I would have to do or replace to go 500Hp
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:49 PM   #56
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZU View Post
Hey, I was thinking about making a 500HP 330i build, I think the engine does have the potential for that, so far with a simple downpipe, exhaust, stage 1, and cold air intake I would be pushing close to 340hp, I was thinking about putting a stage 2 turbo on it and then doing a stage 2 remap, which could put me closer to 450hp, but I don't know what else I would have to do or replace to go 500Hp
you have a 330i so 500hp is very doable. Watch these videos this guy made about his 500hp 330i build. He will tell you exactly what is needed.

https://youtu.be/cXtGi5yjnOs?si=8GMoTKndixM7Pydv

https://youtu.be/1yigaG2PFB0?si=eAJdSEptaxKio0Ys
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #57
330eJL
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthol View Post
Hi 330eJL did you fix your throttle closure issues? I installed a month a ago a JB4 on my 330e, and while the car runs great on map 1 or 2 (with 93 gas), I see throttle closures similar to yours on the logs at around 5300RPMs. However I also see the same throttle closures at map 0...
No I haven’t solved the throttle closures. I think the only way to get rid of it is unlocking the DME. I also get throttle closures at stock map and I believe it’s related to eboost. I know cars like the supras, m340i and 330i get similar throttle closures after installing a dp and the fix is to lower duty bias at the rpms where the closures start. I’ve tried this many times and all other settings. I’ve seen decreased throttle closures but I’ve never fully eliminated them. And the times I would see decreased throttle closures, the car wouldn’t run at its fastest. I found my best results are from just leaving everything the same except the boosts levels in Jb4. I say if you don’t feel the car is running slow or sluggish with throttle closures, and everything else in the logs are good, I wouldn’t worry about it.
Appreciate 1
gorthol64.00