Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Does BMW Make Brake Caliper Covers For The 330i Or Are They Just Painted?

08-22-2023, 09:53 PM   #1
KingBreezy
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Does BMW Make Brake Caliper Covers For The 330i Or Are They Just Painted?

Been looking to change the color of my brakes on my 2020 330i. And I’ve seen a couple bmw 330i’s in my generation with these larger than stock colored brakes so I’m assuming that their covers? Any idea where I could find these?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 02:06 AM   #2
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Are you referring to the blue M-Sport brakes? Those are a 4-piston caliper and bigger rotor up front, with a floating 1-piston caliper and slightly bigger rotor in the rear.

Those are definitely not covers.

You have three options:

$ Paint the stock/base gray 1-piston calipers
$$$ Buy M-Sport brakes (blue) piecemeal from the dealer or as take-offs
$$$$ Buy M-Performance brakes (red) from the accessories catalog

Some would also suggest modding calipers from other platforms, but I can't speak to that.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #3
KingBreezy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Are you referring to the blue M-Sport brakes? Those are a 4-piston caliper and bigger rotor up front, with a floating 1-piston caliper and slightly bigger rotor in the rear.

Those are definitely not covers.

You have three options:

$ Paint the stock/base gray 1-piston calipers
$$$ Buy M-Sport brakes (blue) piecemeal from the dealer or as take-offs
$$$$ Buy M-Performance brakes (red) from the accessories catalog

Some would also suggest modding calipers from other platforms, but I can't speak to that.
Jeez man just looked them up 3,000 for red colored m performance brakes. You sure there’s no cheaper caliper covers that can just go over the stock ones? Or do you think the stock ones would look fine the way they are painted?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

There are brake caliper paint kits out there.

I imagine its a bit of a PINTA to do but if thats what you are looking for and dont want to buy M Performance brakes, might be what you are looking for. They also have a M sticker to pop on there.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
KingBreezy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
There are brake caliper paint kits out there.

I imagine its a bit of a PINTA to do but if thats what you are looking for and dont want to buy M Performance brakes, might be what you are looking for. They also have a M sticker to pop on there.
Just worried they’d look funny being a bit small and painting them would make that stand out. What are your thoughts on these covers? And have you heard of anyone using something like these? Or should I just stick to the stock painting

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRMVRXBD...haWwp13NParams
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I have not seen or heard anyone using the covers. I personally wouldn’t.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330ix

I personally wouldn't get covers. It feels tacky - akin to putting an M3 badge on a 330i.

Regardless of your intentions (cleaner look), the car enthusiasts will think you're trying to fake having 4 piston brembos.

But to each their own, if it makes you happy, screw what others think right?
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 05:31 PM   #8
KingBreezy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBimmer View Post
I personally wouldn't get covers. It feels tacky - akin to putting an M3 badge on a 330i.

Regardless of your intentions (cleaner look), the car enthusiasts will think you're trying to fake having 4 piston brembos.

But to each their own, if it makes you happy, screw what others think right?
Yeah not looking to get clowned on lol. Thanks for the warning. I’ll probably just figure out how to paint the stock calipers, large m sport brakes would probably look funny on just a 330i.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:03 AM   #9
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBreezy View Post
Yeah not looking to get clowned on lol. Thanks for the warning. I’ll probably just figure out how to paint the stock calipers, large m sport brakes would probably look funny on just a 330i.
Nothing wrong with large brakes on a 330i - people race these in Europe

I have the M-Performance BBK on my 330i and I think they look great. They’re much cheaper than a set of brembos or AP Racing brakes. Ultimately, I got them for track usage, but the visuals are a big plus. I have APEX forged wheels on the way so the calipers will pop even more soon.

They’re definitely pricy if all you’re looking for is a visual upgrade…but I would consider saving up for proper fixed calipers than throwing money at the floating calipers - they’ll never look good.

As someone mentioned earlier, you’ll sometimes find used M-Sport brakes for sale on the forums or eBay. You could also go junkyard diving - sometimes a totalled g20 will be parted out and you can get the m-sport brakes for cheap.

Good luck! (I have a write up and guide on the m performance brakes if you’re interested)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:56 AM   #10
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
To be fair, the race 330i out there have AP brakes.

That said, I picked up a like new set of M-Sport brakes on here for $1500. Throw in some steel lines and Motul 660 fluid and it drives like a new car. It’s unreal BMW ever equipped the base brakes.

The M-Sport were great on the Autobahn and the Ring… can’t wait to grab some Endless pads and th ECS V5 rotors.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 05:23 AM   #11
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
M sport calipers come as a factory option on the 330. They look good. Comment you’re replying to was in reference to you putting covers on the standard brakes and trying to pass them off as bigger brembos.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:52 PM   #12
Two3Series858
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i   [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
My tint guy said he could get me some custom plastic covers and tried to sell me on "you're not in a car club. No one is going to care or know these are just covers." I chuckled it off, but inside, I never forgot he tried to sell me some cheap plastic. Long story short, installing the M-Peformnace brake kit later this month.

We may deal with things differently, but we are still G20 brothers!
Appreciate 0