Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What should I replace my C7 with?

06-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I cannot fathom how a sports car can not have a visceral feel, without the moving parts it's ...... i dunno ... weird. Reminds my of an old book i read about a kid learning piano, he became a concert pianist but never a great one and his mentor always called his efforts "A perfect forgery" as he played technically perfect but without soul.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #46
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The vehicles I have are:
  1. C7 I rarely drive, especially now
  2. F350 which is mostly just for towing our RV
  3. Corolla for girlfriend and everything else
We both work from home so virus or not, we just don't drive much.

I’m thinking either sell the Vette, or maybe trade for a lease on something. Issue is, I can't think of anything I like all that much. So what would you lease for no money down under $700? I'm open to anything interesting.
How about a Civic Type R? You can sell the Corolla too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #47
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
You make some good points, but I would argue on the handling front. Since Tesla's mentality is "no dramma" there is no on (or even off) throttle rotation, and no sliding, no oversteer or any kind unless you disconnect the wheel speed sensor (which also disables ABS, so bad idea). I know they are fast around a track, but not nearly as involving or engaging to drive. It almost does it for you. I work in the industry and my company does hardware/software for those, including tuning so I have behind the wheel experience in all their models.

I get it as a replacement for a 3 series sedan. But not for a sports car like the Vette. Sounds like Vette was not the right choice of car given your use cases if you're replacing it with a 4 door sedan to cart stuff around.
Things change. I've been through over 20 cars over the past like 15 years. They range for mini coopers to giant land yacht cadillac XTS. I like cars and I enjoy trying different ones. I also enjoy the hunt for the next one, finding deals etc. While the tesla is replacing the C7 it is not a replacement for the C7. You cannot compare the two in anyway other than 0-60 times.

Honestly I made this post to see if there were any cars in my price range that could compare to the C7 and would peak my interest. Maybe something I had not thought of yet. Honestly there weren't any. If I wanted to get back into a sports car I would buy a C7 or C7 Z06 again. So I decided to go with something completely different for me.

It's certainly no sports car (for many reasons, many subjective), however it is an all around pretty sweet car. I have been critical of tesla in the past but I am honestly impressed with the model 3. As I said before here in FL I don't have many twisty roads so I get to enjoy that straight line performance a lot more. I also like tech so I do enjoy all the tech in the car.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
GenXer1363.00
      06-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #48
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I am in a similar situation with not driving much due to working from home and looking for something interesting in this price range. I have the pickup/daily driver and small roadster covered. Bonus for four seats as it will get more use, but not a requirement. Strong preference for manual.

Have owned and enjoyed: C6 Corvette, Camaro SS 1LE, F80 M3, Charger Hellcat, GTI

Considering: Civic Type R, Model 3P, Camaro ZL1, Mustang Mach 1, and to a lesser extent C7 Corvette, used 911
Appreciate 1