Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Metal clunking noise in engine bay - help!

05-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Ryshade
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Metal clunking noise in engine bay - help!

Hello guys, 320i b48 engine here.
I am wondering if there is anybody who experienced same problem as me

everytime i pop my hood open during idle, I would hear metal clunking noise, (not the ticking injectors)
, link provided below:

noise comes from left side of the car (looking into engine bay)
frequency of the clunking also varies according to rpm.
it happens all the time, cold engine in the morning or hot, after use)

car is still fairly new, only 4300km down the road, currently the car runs perfectly, but the noise is really making me worried of the reliability of the engine for extended use.

I noticed this 2 months ago and have not been able to bring the car to the dealer to have it checked due to pandemic lockdown.

Please help!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryshade View Post
Hello guys, 320i b48 engine here.
I am wondering if there is anybody who experienced same problem as me

everytime i pop my hood open during idle, I would hear metal clunking noise, (not the ticking injectors)
, link provided below:

noise comes from left side of the car (looking into engine bay)
frequency of the clunking also varies according to rpm.
it happens all the time, cold engine in the morning or hot, after use)

car is still fairly new, only 4300km down the road, currently the car runs perfectly, but the noise is really making me worried of the reliability of the engine for extended use.

I noticed this 2 months ago and have not been able to bring the car to the dealer to have it checked due to pandemic lockdown.

Please help!!
Although I couldn't hear anything on the video personally I wouldn't use it. I would expect the dealer to come and pick it up if you cannot leave the house - but if you can and need a car I would expect a courtesy car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
Ryshade
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Although I couldn't hear anything on the video personally I wouldn't use it. I would expect the dealer to come and pick it up if you cannot leave the house - but if you can and need a car I would expect a courtesy car.
Thank you for your reply, I managed to bring the car for check.
it turns out to be the heat shield touching against another metal component in the engine and rattles.

the mechanic took the heat shield away the noise disappear and noise reappear with a new heat shield, so they were kind of confused and asked for more time for further investigation later.

They told me it is nothing to worry about and ask me to bring the car later when service is due, if the noise disturbs.
Appreciate 2
seccsc239.00