Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Preview of G22 4 Series with and without front US license plates

06-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #177
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I haven't run a front plate since 2004, never once been pulled over for it. Actually, the one time i DID get pulled over was I was driving my wife's car, that has a front plate, for expired tabs that had literally just expired by 1 day.

I usually tolerate most design changes without complaints, but this is just hideous to the point I will wait for an M8 to come down in price, or go to a different manufacturer all together.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #178
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

What could have been....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
Calamari208.50
jmack548.50
      06-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #179
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 - Ferrari Red

So glad I bought the m8
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #180
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post

What could have been....
When something people like is changed in a major way the knee-jerk reaction is usually negative. As time go by the mind get more open to view the change in a less protective way and the chance to embrace it increases. Let’s revisit this a year from now when the car has been out in the wild for a while and see.

The top car is just so familiar. It’s an 8 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #181
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
When something people like is changed in a major way the knee-jerk reaction is usually negative. As time go by the mind get more open to view the change in a less protective way and the chance to embrace it increases. Let’s revisit this a year from now when the car has been out in the wild for a while and see.

The top car is just so familiar. It’s an 8 series.
I have no doubt it will take some time to grow on people, but the four series would have been a mini eight series(and that's not a bad thing) with those wide low kidney grilles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #182
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
I haven't run a front plate since 2004, never once been pulled over for it. Actually, the one time i DID get pulled over was I was driving my wife's car, that has a front plate, for expired tabs that had literally just expired by 1 day.

I usually tolerate most design changes without complaints, but this is just hideous to the point I will wait for an M8 to come down in price, or go to a different manufacturer all together.
I'm weird, no front plate required where I am, tried nothing for a while, but then put the bracket back on. actually like the look of the plate. Adds more technicality to the front for me. Looked kinda plain without.
Also zero interest in patching and repainting bumper holes, but that is secondary.

06-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #183
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Can someone render a off center, tow hook mounted plate? I wonder if it will look any better.
That's going to make it worse. Too much happening and partially covering up some of one grille. I am curious to see it though too.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #184
Xxxxx_max
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Starts to grow on me tho
      06-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #185
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
I think the only people who buy this are going to be non enthusiasts who just want the badge.
Not true, own a few and have owned many. Can't wait for it to get here.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #186
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The four series honestly had so much potential if it had just become a mini 8 series. The 8 looks fantastic.
I think to prevent cannibalizing 8er sales, they purposefully didn't want to make it look like a mini 8er. Which is a shame really; had they went that route it would have been a hit.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #187
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaVauros View Post
Well, I expect BMW to turn a lower quarterly profit with this ridiculous design.
So you expect BMW's profit will drop because one of their low volume two door vehicles has a single design element that some people don't like? Really?

I personally expect BMW's quarterly profit to drop because the economy will continue to be impacted due to the pandemic and because the world is burning. But, sure, okay, let's blame the grill for it too.

Quote:
If quarterly profit go up with this new design, customers are sheep.
False cause fallacy much?
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      06-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #188
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxxxx_max View Post
Starts to grow on me tho
Me too. But, unfortunately, it is growing like rust!

As a matter of principle, I would not buy an 8 series so long as they make the 4 series with Edsel grills. I refuse to let BMW force me to spend more than $100K to get a coupe without butt ugly grills.

So unless BMW changes course, this might be my last BMW. There are many other fish in the sea.

I have been blaming the BMW design chief but, as I think about it, the fault also lies with the senior executives who let him get away with this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #189
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I think the only people who buy this are going to be non enthusiasts who just want the badge.
Your logic is totally backwards. If it outperforms the F80/82 (as it will) then a true enthusiast would buy this car. Those only interested in buying an M3/4 for its looks are the non-enthusiasts and posers. In the day I owned cars like EVO's and STI's that weren't exactly lookers (STI I always thought was homely) but purchased them because of the performance/dollar value. That's what real enthusiasts do. Styling is always a personal thing so if you won't buy one because you can't get over the styling then there's nothing wrong with that because some people place a higher value on appearance but it's false dichotomy to say that the only people that would buy these cars are non-enthusiasts who just want the badge.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 06-04-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      06-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #190
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Your logic is totally backwards. If it outperforms the F80/82 (as it will) then a true enthusiast would buy this car. Those only interested in buying an M3/4 for its looks are the non-enthusiasts and posers. In the day I owned cars like EVO's and STI's that weren't exactly lookers (STI I always thought was homely) but purchased them because of the performance/dollar value. That's what real enthusiasts do. Styling is always a personal thing so if you won't buy one because you can't get over the styling then there's nothing wrong with that because some people place a higher value on appearance but it's false dichotomy to say that the only people that would buy these cars are non-enthusiasts who just want the badge.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is no place for logic!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #191
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Not clear where his backward logic is? He's guilty by the word "only" in his sentence but he's not totally wrong because, there are many people who buy based on brand name as a status indicator.

In turn, you're also not totally correct when you say enthusiasts will buy this car regardless of looks. This is already proven false based on the many true enthusiasts on this board who have already said they will not buy this car due to its look.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #192
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Even as an enthusiast this thing would have to drive better than an Alfa Giulia for me (and I doubt it will) to forgive its looks. Fact is if I'm spending $50-70k on a car, looks will be a factor, no matter how much of an enthusiast I am.
MMMBRAP975.50
      06-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #193
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Not clear where his backward logic is? He's guilty by the word "only" in his sentence but he's not totally wrong because, there are many people who buy based on brand name as a status indicator.

In turn, you're also not totally correct when you say enthusiasts will buy this car regardless of looks. This is already proven false based on the many true enthusiasts on this board who have already said they will not buy this car due to its look.
The fact is he said "only" so his logic is flawed. People buy the badge as a status indicator. They aren't going to buy massive kidney grilles for status. A non-enthusiast can walk into a BMW dealership and have a choice of many vehicles that have the badge for status and if they walk out with this particular car it's because they got the badge for status and they obviously liked the look of this particular BMW.

All I said was a true enthusiast would buy the car if the performance exceeded the F80/82 as enthusiasts are typically more interested in acceleration, handling, etc than winning beauty contests. You will note that I did not say every enthusiast would. I even added the note about some people placing a higher value on styling just to clarify. I don't consider Porsches beautiful cars but I would love to own a GT4 or 911 because of their driving dynamics.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 06-04-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #194
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
EVO's and STI's were never ugly. I quite liked them. (Except maybe the EVO X, that definitely was not a looker.)

Since when did wanting to buy a good looking enthusiast car become grounds for being a poser and a non-enthusiast?

Just because a car is very performance capable, that alone is not the determining factor for how I buy a car. It has to fit a lot of the criteria I'm looking for, and having good looks is one of them.

The same can be said for a car that's VERY pretty, but lacks in the kind of performance I'm looking for. I wouldn't buy that either.

You feeling okay?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #195
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Since when did wanting to buy a good looking enthusiast car become grounds for being a poser and a non-enthusiast?
I have no idea. You tell me. I suggest you re-read my posts as I worded them carefully to cover my bases and to not include broad strokes. If you have issues interpreting them that's not my problem.

I think that's just your opinion (we are all entitled to one BTW) on EVO's and STI's not being ugly. I didn't mind the EVO styling so much but the looks of the STI never grew on me. Still liked the cars though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #196
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Even as an enthusiast this thing would have to drive better than an Alfa Giulia for me (and I doubt it will) to forgive its looks. Fact is if I'm spending $50-70k on a car, looks will be a factor, no matter how much of an enthusiast I am.
I get that. Looks matter to everyone and it's a matter of degree of influence it has in your decision making. If you can't get past the looks then I can see why some won't buy the car but we haven't even seen the M3/M4 versions yet in pictures let alone in person so declaring anything right now is a little premature and if any of you have been on car forums as long as I have you will know that most people always dislike redesigns when first introduced and most grow to accept and even like them as time moves on and people get familiar with the looks. Everyone and I mean everyone hated the big Lexus grilles when they were initially introduced but people just kept buying them and dare I say some of them evel look decent today. Every generation of car forum when the new generation comes out the owners of the outgoing generation declare that theirs looks much better and they will never upgrade only for most of them to trade in their outgoing models for the new generation within a few years. Rinse and repeat. It was like that on Mustang forums, STI forums, EVO forums, Golf R forums and I expect that to happen here as well.

I was just making a point to a poster that enthusiasts don't by performance cars based solely on looks as a lot of enthusiasts will still buy the G22 M4 because of its performance which will probably be an improvement on the outgoing model.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #197
Ajdly00
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

can anyone say audi? chrysler?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      06-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #198
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

Nothing is worse than current 7. I like this actually. Will do a better job of setting 2dr and 4dr apart. Flame away.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50