Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Suspicions - GPS / mileage history

05-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
sh00t3r
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Suspicions - GPS / mileage history

I have some suspicions that a car detailer may have taken a joy ride in my car and am looking for some irrefutable evidence in the form of GPS or mileage history for a specific day. Do I have any options at all or do I chalk this up as a lesson learned? I didn't record the mileage down before I dropped off the car. I also have the Connected app setup properly so I should've known better and periodically checked the location in the app.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00t3r View Post
I have some suspicions that a car detailer may have taken a joy ride in my car and am looking for some irrefutable evidence in the form of GPS or mileage history for a specific day. Do I have any options at all or do I chalk this up as a lesson learned? I didn't record the mileage down before I dropped off the car. I also have the Connected app setup properly so I should've known better and periodically checked the location in the app.
The dealer usually records your mileage at drop off. Was it printed on any of the paperwork they gave you?
      05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's crappy! At least it wasn't your dad's rare Ferrari 250 GT California that he loves more than you. (Sorry, I couldn't resist dropping that reference.) I think the BMW Connected app does log some location history under the "Destinations" tab. I see a bunch of locations on mine that I did not manually enter as navigation destinations or send to my car via the app and they're kind of randomly listed. When I select any of the locations it sees it as a new potential destination and it gives me an ETA. That might help you show where your car has been but it does not show when your car was at that location.

Aside from that, it's a lesson learned. I have run a dash camera in my past few vehicles and have gone back to watch what the service guys did with my car. Fortunately no joy riding or running errands. It's some extra peace of mind and also good for CYA in the event of a collision. Als, logging your miles or taking a picture of your gauge pod when you drop it off is smart too. I do that with loaner cars and rental cars.

Finally, if you don't trust that shop, time to find a new detailer....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
On my 530e if you switch to the "Start of Trip" Trip Data view it will show you the total miles driven as long as the car was started I believe within 4 hours of shutoff otherwise it will see it as a new "trip".

Probably the easiest way to see this data clearly if you still can access it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
sh00t3r
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
That's crappy! At least it wasn't your dad's rare Ferrari 250 GT California that he loves more than you. (Sorry, I couldn't resist dropping that reference.) I think the BMW Connected app does log some location history under the "Destinations" tab. I see a bunch of locations on mine that I did not manually enter as navigation destinations or send to my car via the app and they're kind of randomly listed. When I select any of the locations it sees it as a new potential destination and it gives me an ETA. That might help you show where your car has been but it does not show when your car was at that location.

Aside from that, it's a lesson learned. I have run a dash camera in my past few vehicles and have gone back to watch what the service guys did with my car. Fortunately no joy riding or running errands. It's some extra peace of mind and also good for CYA in the event of a collision. Als, logging your miles or taking a picture of your gauge pod when you drop it off is smart too. I do that with loaner cars and rental cars.

Finally, if you don't trust that shop, time to find a new detailer....
Man can't thank you enough. I guess I wasn't fully aware of the app functionality and think I found a suspicious destination using the process you defined above! There is a destination in there that a) matches up to the distance from the detailer shop almost precisely and b) is a place I have never visited in the car.

I also found out I'm able to download a complete "CarData" report from BMW. "With BMW CarData, customers always have an overview of the telematics data that their vehicle sends to BMW as part of BMW ConnectedDrive services and that is stored there. Customers can request a BMW CarData report so they know what vehicle data BMW has currently stored for their vehicle."

I generated the report but it can take upwards of 24 hours to complete. I also suspect it's more privacy related and may not have the historic data i'm looking for. Will repost back here once I know what kind of data/value it provides.

Thanks PersonaNonGrata and everyone else for that matter!
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man can't thank you enough. I guess I wasn't fully aware of the app functionality and think I found a suspicious destination using the process you defined above! There is a destination in there that a) matches up to the distance from the detailer shop almost precisely and b) is a place I have never visited in the car.

I also found out I'm able to download a complete "CarData" report from BMW. "With BMW CarData, customers always have an overview of the telematics data that their vehicle sends to BMW as part of BMW ConnectedDrive services and that is stored there. Customers can request a BMW CarData report so they know what vehicle data BMW has currently stored for their vehicle."

I generated the report but it can take upwards of 24 hours to complete. I also suspect it's more privacy related and may not have the historic data i'm looking for. Will repost back here once I know what kind of data/value it provides.

Thanks PersonaNonGrata and everyone else for that matter!
Happy to help and I'm glad you found something. I mean, you didn't want find anything but at least now you know. I know it would bug me too!
Appreciate 0