Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3-Series: What I've learned since taking delivery

04-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #155
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

G20 Moon Roof Analysis

G20 moon roof is approximately 100mm (3.94") longer than the previous gen, with full moon roof opening (length) at 23". When moon roof is in full open position, it leaves around 8.5" glass extended from rear moon roof edge. For those who preferred moon roof option, this limitation maybe something to keep in mind.

RealOEM parts suggested the limitation could be a combination of the followings:

- Sliding roof frame rail supported up to certain length due to curvature of the roof without further reducing the headroom of rear passenger.
- Wire hardness beneath shark fin external antenna may prevent moon roof from sliding all the way.
- Wire hardness from rear window brake light may prevent moon roof from sliding all the way.

The green dash line in the photo below depicted the previous gen moon roof rear edge, with approximate 19" moon roof length. There is about 18.5" space from moon roof rear edge to the beginning of shark fin antenna, and approximate 28.5" to the shortest end of rear window glass. Using previous gen 19" moon roof as reference point, the moon roof may slide all the way (during reset/initialization) before it reaches the beginning of shark fin or end of sliding roof frame rail. When applying the same limitation at around shark fin antenna, G20 moon roof might be able to slide in a few more inches (3.5"), though still extended several inches (5") outside of rear moon roof edge. This may require re-programming of full opening position without the above mentioned limitations by BMW.

Name:  g20_moon_roof_open.png
Views: 7144
Size:  1.67 MB

Appreciate 7
MPSdriver192.00
Fuller1216.50
otay826.00
clee1982796.00
oz555671.00
      04-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #156
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
Memory buttons can be applied to Synchronize A/C between driver and passenger side. It would be nice if BMW can update software support on A/C memory button as G20 does not support separate A/C button to turn on/off on a fly. One would need to go into Menu A/C button, flip through the soft menu then select from the A/C checkbox, or say "Hello BMW" to turn on/off A/C!

Synchronize (Press and hold down to save)
Attachment 2035151

A/C (Unable to save)
Attachment 2035152
can't you turn off the A/C by just lowering the fan speed to zero?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #157
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
G20 moon roof is approximately 100mm (3.94") longer than the previous gen, with full moon roof opening (length) at 23". When moon roof is in full open position, it leaves around 8.5" glass extended from rear moon roof edge. For those who preferred moon roof option, this limitation maybe something to keep in mind.

RealOEM parts suggested the limitation could be a combination of the followings:

- Sliding roof frame rail supported up to certain length due to curvature of the roof without further reducing the headroom of rear passenger.
- Wire hardness beneath shark fin external antenna may prevent moon roof from sliding all the way.
- Wire hardness from rear window brake light may prevent moon roof from sliding all the way.

The green dash line in the photo below depicted the previous gen moon roof rear edge, with approximate 19" moon roof length. There is about 18.5" space from moon roof rear edge to the beginning of shark fin antenna, and approximate 28.5" to the shortest end of rear window glass. Using previous gen 19" moon roof as reference point, the moon roof may slide all the way (during reset/initialization) before it reaches the beginning of shark fin or end of sliding roof frame rail. When applying the same limitation at around shark fin antenna, G20 moon roof might be able to slide in a few more inches (3.5"), though still extended several inches (5") outside of rear moon roof edge. This may require re-programming of full opening position without the above mentioned limitations by BMW.
In both of my F30's, there was an initial default "stop" when opening the sunroof. Once that spot was reached you simply push the open button again and the panel slid nearly all the way back to the edge of the roof opening. So the overall opening was very nice and large.

Is it not the same for the G20?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #158
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
This will turn off both A/C and fan completely. The A/C option we're looking for is to retain the fan air level while turning A/C off through convenience of one A/C button similar to previous gen. For locations where climate may fluctuate through out the day, it's really helpful. Memory buttons could be the next best option to store those frequently use checkbox menu items, awaiting for BMW's response if this can be enabled via software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #159
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
In both of my F30's, there was an initial default "stop" when opening the sunroof. Once that spot was reached you simply push the open button again and the panel slid nearly all the way back to the edge of the roof opening. So the overall opening was very nice and large.
Is it not the same for the G20?
This probably had something to do with pre-programming of moon roof full open position. Even with subsequent button push (or reset/initialization procedure), it stopped at 8.5" from rear edge. From the measurement, it seems few more inches of opening is possible if software update can recalibrate the full open position.
Appreciate 2
RPM90889.50
clee1982796.00
      04-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #160
Costello1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costello1991 View Post
ill definitely skip this generation.
Well if you're gonna skip well gosh darn it I'm gonna skip also...... NOT!
Got one on order Dravit Grey with all the good stuff.
cool story
      04-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #161
ar2020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW

Quote:
Well if you're gonna skip well gosh darn it I'm gonna skip also...... NOT!
Got one on order Dravit Grey with all the good stuff.
lol exactly
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #162
BmwVegans
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 4 Series

Quote:
What's included in OEM space-saver spare option.

- Continental 135/80 17R spare tire and wheel, interior rim diameter measures at around 17" (431mm)
- Trunk tool kit tray for all jack tools
- Vehicle lifting jack
- Ratchet for vehicle jack
- Wheel chock
- Lug wrench

The spare alloy wheel came with white color from Uniwheels (one of BMW OEM wheel suppliers)

Note: the spare may not fit G20 M-Performance 18" (457mm) braking system.
Thanks for the info. Does the spare go above or below the floor of the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #163
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwVegans View Post
Thanks for the info. Does the spare go above or below the floor of the trunk?
Raised approx. 4.5" above trunk floor.

More info can be referred in the following posts:
G20 Space-Saver Spare Photos
G20 Space-Saver Spare Measurement
G20 Luggage Compartment Mat
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #164
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
I was surprised that the 330i feels just as fast as my old 13' 335i. M340i is gonna be a beast.
I just autocrossed the 330i M Sport today at a BMW event and it definitely did not feel as fast as my F30 335i. The suspension was way more dialed in but the models all had the track package, which I don’t have, so I’m unable to make a real compassion. My biggest takeaway how bad the turbo lag was. I’d gun it and there was a very noticeable lag on the small tight course they set up. Not sure if that’s just 330i but my F30 335i doesn’t have lag that bad.

I’m still not sold on the looks but it was worth driving all out to get a feel for the new model. Still on the fence.
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #165
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

My son turned 21 so I took his 14' 328 to clean it up. I washed it, clayed it, power buffed it, washed it again, then waxed the car with Pinnacle Carnuba Wax. Then I worked on the interior. All the while he took my M340 for the day. Problem was that he took both sets off keys and I had a dinner planed an hour away and he was taking a test in college. I dropped his car off and was faced with the problem of not having my keys. Then I remembered the digital key card. I unlocked my car with the BMW Connected App and used the key card to start the car. Worked perfectly. The 2 hour round trip drive to and from the beach was one of the best rides I have had in a long, long time and I am coming out of an 18' M2. The M340 was a blast to drive and I felt like I had the best car on the road. Used the Waze app and did not need my $500 radar detector. The car was blazing fast and smooth as silk. Good job BMW!
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 6
MmmmmM22578.00
Mii387.50
Ilyam5888.50
otay826.00
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #166
WorldBFree
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
My son turned 21 so I took his 14' 328 to clean it up. I washed it, clayed it, power buffed it, washed it again, then waxed the car with Pinnacle Carnuba Wax. Then I worked on the interior. All the while he took my M340 for the day. Problem was that he took both sets off keys and I had a dinner planed an hour away and he was taking a test in college. I dropped his car off and was faced with the problem of not having my keys. Then I remembered the digital key card. I unlocked my car with the BMW Connected App and used the key card to start the car. Worked perfectly. The 2 hour round trip drive to and from the beach was one of the best rides I have had in a long, long time and I am coming out of an 18' M2. The M340 was a blast to drive and I felt like I had the best car on the road. Used the Waze app and did not need my $500 radar detector. The car was blazing fast and smooth as silk. Good job BMW!
Good to hear from a satisfied owner ... thanks for sharing!

Do you have Xdrive or RWD? I’m a few months away from buying still but find myself on the fence about which to select. If you have RWD do you find that the rear end wants to break loose to easily?

I’m waaaay past the donuts in the parking lot phase in life, and drifting would be cool on a track but I don’t track my car so I prefer balance and control. Curious to know your thought process on whichever one you selected.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #167
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBFree View Post
Quote:
Good to hear from a satisfied owner ... thanks for sharing!

Do you have Xdrive or RWD? I’m a few months away from buying still but find myself on the fence about which to select. If you have RWD do you find that the rear end wants to break loose to easily?

I’m waaaay past the donuts in the parking lot phase in life, and drifting would be cool on a track but I don’t track my car so I prefer balance and control. Curious to know your thought process on whichever one you selected.
I loved my M2 but I too am past the donut phase. My M340 X-drive is a perfect blend of sport and comfort. The ride in comfort is plush, the tech is great and if you what fun and and just put it in Sport-Plus and the car transform into a rocket. Just as fast as my M2.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #168
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Now THAT is cool!
Appreciate 3
Ilyam5888.50
otay826.00
clee1982796.00
      07-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #169
Rhd-jon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just realized there’s a Parking button on the shifter ��
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #170
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
My initial impression on G20 since taking the delivery is positive. As the owner of several 3er generations (M and non-M) since E46 era, G20 did not take long to warm up, it's an instant charm upon seeing it both in exterior and interior. The design language and styling made it stand out in all exterior colors.

Model: 330i US Specs
Production Build: Feb 2019, Munich Assembly Plant
Color: B39 - Mineral Grey
Upholstery: MAH7 - Black Vernasca Leather w/contrast stitch/piping, (silver-grey stitch color)
Trim: 4KL - Interior trim finishers Aluminium Mesh
Wheels: 1PN - 791M 19" Jet Black, Non RFT, Front: 19x8.0, 225/40 R19 Rear: 19x8.5, 255/35 R19 (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)
Options:
ZMP - M Sport Package (2VF - M Adaptive Suspension)
ZPP - Premium Package
ZPX - Executive Package
ZTR - Track Handling Package (2NH - M Sport Brakes, 2T4 - M Sport Differential)
688 - HK Surround Sound System

Driving Dynamics:
G20 steering is intuitive and predictable, suspension is firm without roughness, throttle response is rewarding with acceleration. It's surprising how TU B46 4-cylinder engine performed like 6-cylinder with amount of horse power and torque. The acceleration definitely felt faster than BMW's claim. The cabin noise level is vastly improved and overall interior design is harmonic to the eyes. The stiffer chassis and improved torsional rigidity enabled it to accelerate through sharp turns with confidence.

Driving Dynamics Configuration:
Sport:
- Damping (Sport / Comfort)
- Steering (Sport / Comfort)
- Engine (Sport / Comfort)
- Transmission (Sport / Comfort)
Comfort:
- Balanced setting
Eco Pro:
- Damping (Sport / Comfort)
- Steering (Sport / Comfort)
Adaptive:
- Predictive adjustment of vehicle setting for driving situation

Tires to Fender Gaps: (approximate on level ground)
36mm (driver side - front)
34mm (driver side - rear)
36mm (passenger side - front)
34mm (passenger side - rear)

The fender gap readings are based on M Adaptive Suspension (2VF). Driver and passengers felt sitting slightly lower in the car due to taller door panels to window glass ratio on peripheral vision while cruising on the road.

High Performance Non RFT with Space-Saver Spare Option:
840 - Increased top speed limiter to 155 mph
Spare Tire Spec: Continental 135/80 17R

Spacing-saver spare enclosure raised 4.5" above trunk floor. There is 14.5" in height from space-saver spare liner to the ceiling of the trunk. If trunk space is an absolute requirement, remove the space-saver spare enclosure entirely, and place the OEM trunk liner (Part Number: 51477438290) on trunk floor to restore trunk space. The original space-saver spare liner won't sit flush on trunk floor after removing the tire enclosure. For day-to-day use, the trunk space is plenty even with space-saver spare enclosure in place. One possible future update could be flat tire gel pack similar to M model.

Body Panels Gaps Analysis:
3.5mm (driver side - kidney grill to shut line)
3.0mm (driver side - between front fender panel and hood)
3.0mm (driver side - between front fender panel and A-pillar)
3.2mm (driver side - between front fender panel and front door)
3.2mm (driver side - between front and rear doors)
3.2mm (driver side - between rear door and rear quarter panel)
3.2mm (driver side - between rear quarter panel and trunk lid)

3.5mm (passenger side - kidney grill to shut line)
3.0mm (passenger side - between front fender panel and hood)
3.0mm (passenger side - between front fender panel and A-pillar)
3.2mm (passenger side - between front fender panel and front door)
3.2mm (passenger side - between front and rear doors)
3.2mm (passenger side - between rear door and rear quarter panel)
3.2mm (passenger side - between rear quarter panel and trunk lid)

Body panels gap alignment are consistent through out the car. Very impressed with build quality on G20, solid k-thunk upon closing doors. One of the great improvement among other enhancements is shadow-line trim integration around the top of door window frame. This minimized door creaks that 3er owners have experienced. When driving over bumps, no more music (creaks) to the ears.

Paint Quality:
G20 paint quality has gone up a notch from the already decent paint quality among BMW lineup. The paint finish resulted more of mirror shine with less orange peel effect. It's nice to see BMW up its game further on paint finish.

Windshield and Rear Glass:
G20 used higher quality Saint Gobain Sekurit glass both front and rear in place of Pilkington that is more prone to chip. Rear glass cut also aligned consistently through out C-pillar on both driver and passenger side.

Lighting:
Corner light reflecting to peripheral side while signal light was turned on. This confirmed laser light option with corner light is enabled.

Interior Trim Option:
For people preferred aluminum trim, would recommend Interior trim finishers Aluminum Mesh (4KL). The surface finish had nice texture to the touch. All 4 doors interior panels are covered with various soft touch material. SensaTec dashboard comes with stitching when leather package is ordered. BMW should offer similar soft touch material on two side of center console panel.

Sound System Option: (HK 464 Watts, 9 Channels, 16 Speakers)
1 x Tweeter Instrument Panel
1 x Midrange Instrument Panel
2 x Tweeter Front Door Trim
2 x Midrange Door Central
2 x Bass Speaker
2 x Tweeter Rear Door
2 x Midrange Rear Door
2 x Partial Shelf
2 x Tweeter Partial Shelf

Sound Settings
- Logic 7 Surround
- Surround Distribution (5 levels)
- Treble
- Bass
- Balance (Left / Right)
- Fader (Front / Rear)
- Equalizer (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz)

With quieter cabin, HK sound system is sheer joy. G20 does not equipped with CD player in STD trim. Optional CD player is required for those who planned to play CD directly.

Map Version:
2018-4
111031826.3.02 B19w02.2-1

Installed Software Version:
11/2018.75
Need to figure out how to read ISTEP version on iDrive 7, as previous iDrive allowed ISTEP version to be extracted from user profile. If anyone knows the trick, feel free to chime in.

Overall, G20 is a solid upgrade of any previous generation model. For potential buyers, please review vehicle inquiry sheet thoroughly before finalizing the build order.

Attachment 2024071
Attachment 2024072
Attachment 2024073
Attachment 2024074
Attachment 2024075
Hi Mii,

Thanks for the great specs. Can you tell me what the height in mm is from the ground to the bottom of the car at the front and the rear? I am trying to work out approach and departure angles for a driveway. I know that the overall ground clearance is 136 mm but I can't find the measurements online anywhere.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #171
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
This will turn off both A/C and fan completely. The A/C option we're looking for is to retain the fan air level while turning A/C off through convenience of one A/C button similar to previous gen. For locations where climate may fluctuate through out the day, it's really helpful. Memory buttons could be the next best option to store those frequently use checkbox menu items, awaiting for BMW's response if this can be enabled via software update.
I tried to save this A/C button to a memory setting as well., but it still isn't working and getting the same error message you did.

Hopefully they add the ability to do so, because sometimes I want just the fan on and sometimes I want A/C, and I don't want to go thru the menus to enable or disable this every time.

BMW told me they are aware, but don't know when a fix will be made.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #172
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

Off topic but I was in a hit and run with my 2020 m340i, anyone want the OEM roof rails for 100$ plus shipping dm
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #173
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I tried to save this A/C button to a memory setting as well., but it still isn't working and getting the same error message you did.

Hopefully they add the ability to do so, because sometimes I want just the fan on and sometimes I want A/C, and I don't want to go thru the menus to enable or disable this every time.

BMW told me they are aware, but don't know when a fix will be made.
I just say "Hey BMW turn off (or on) the A/C"
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #174
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

I just picked up a new M340i Saturday. One thing I did not know, which was a surprise to me, is navigation is standard.
      03-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #175
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I just picked up a new M340i Saturday. One thing I did not know, which was a surprise to me, is navigation is standard.
Well at that price one would expect NAV to be standard at the very minimum...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #176
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
M340i is indeed a beast and makes me wonder how much better will the M3 be? If bmw can make the M340i so good and fast, the M3 will have to be significantly better to justify for the price premium.
Faster isn't always better.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00