Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions When will M340i reviews be published?

Closed Thread

05-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #45
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Western USA has them already.
Looks like BMW Seattle and Bellevue have gotten them in. I'll have to go one of these weekends.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #46
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Western USA has them already.
Looks like BMW Seattle and Bellevue have gotten them in. I'll have to go one of these weekends.
I drove one at BMW Northwest and I'm set up to drive at Seattle on Friday.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      05-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #47
EKaru
United_States
Rep
Drives: ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Anyone surprised by lack of reviews for M340i? Professional journalists and YT reviews are almost non existence. There are a few owners and dealer borrowed hobbyists reviews but nothing else.
The reason for the lack of reviews is likely because the reviews will be in the form of comparison tests against the Audi S4 and Mercedes-AMG C43 in car and driver, Road & track, Motor Trend etc
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #48
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
The reason for the lack of reviews is likely because the reviews will be in the form of comparison tests against the Audi S4 and Mercedes-AMG C43 in car and driver, Road & track, Motor Trend etc
Yeah I agree. Also there is no press embargo on the M340i final production model.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #49
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do you guys really need validation from the car journalists. If they're arriving at your local dealerships, and you're curious, why not schedule an a appointment to check one out yourself?

I'll save you some time as to what c&d and r&t will say, "it feels big, comfy, and fast, but the numb steering and isolated interior leaves one feeling disconnected from the driving experience." If you like the car, who cares what they think about it.
In all honestly, reading an article as I take a dump is a lot more pleasant than dealing with a salesman pestering you to run a credit check then the follow up calls for the next few weeks.
Except then you don't get to drive the car. I suppose there's always toro. Either option is heaps more informative than reading a magazine or website. That is, unless you trust the opinion of a reviewer more than your own..

The alternative is to wait for c&d, or whomever, to publish a negative review on the m340i so that you can feel fully validated in enjoying your f80.
I've already booked a M340i, Z4, and M850 to test drive. I still enjoy reading review articles, call me old fashioned. And no, I don't take them for gospel, and the fact that I'm on my second M3 should prove that. And on the contrary, a good M340i review will mean the G80 will have a better chance of being an even better car than the F80, so I want good reviews. Why would I want anything else?

You are very concerned about others validating their purchases. Most of the time, that's just a projection of your own feelings. It's psychology.
How does being on your second m3 demonstrate that you don't take reviews seriously? The base m3 got mixed, but not bad reviews, and the competition and cs models seemed to be well received by the automotive journalists, as far as I could tell.

I'm not concerned with car shoppers seeking validation from c&d or whomever. I find the reverence some people have for mainstream car reviews to be mildly annoying, if you'd like me to categorize it.

Speaking of psychology, the m-police are ripe for analysis. Why does the m340i evoke such emotion from mcar drivers? Perhaps it's because the m performance models are beginning to encroach upon what was previously sacred m-territory. A 340i with nearly 400 hp makes the m3 just a touch less special. It's still special, but maybe a little of that "m" mystique has been stolen from the m3/4. 😮
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      05-23-2019, 03:25 AM   #50
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
It's still special, but maybe a little of that "m" mystique has been stolen from the m3/4. 😮
Hmm what if I just remove the "40i" part from the badge?
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      05-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #51
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you guys really need validation from the car journalists. If they're arriving at your local dealerships, and you're curious, why not schedule an a appointment to check one out yourself?

I'll save you some time as to what c&d and r&t will say, "it feels big, comfy, and fast, but the numb steering and isolated interior leaves one feeling disconnected from the driving experience." If you like the car, who cares what they think about it.
In all honestly, reading an article as I take a dump is a lot more pleasant than dealing with a salesman pestering you to run a credit check then the follow up calls for the next few weeks.
Except then you don't get to drive the car. I suppose there's always toro. Either option is heaps more informative than reading a magazine or website. That is, unless you trust the opinion of a reviewer more than your own..

The alternative is to wait for c&d, or whomever, to publish a negative review on the m340i so that you can feel fully validated in enjoying your f80.
I've already booked a M340i, Z4, and M850 to test drive. I still enjoy reading review articles, call me old fashioned. And no, I don't take them for gospel, and the fact that I'm on my second M3 should prove that. And on the contrary, a good M340i review will mean the G80 will have a better chance of being an even better car than the F80, so I want good reviews. Why would I want anything else?

You are very concerned about others validating their purchases. Most of the time, that's just a projection of your own feelings. It's psychology.
How does being on your second m3 demonstrate that you don't take reviews seriously? The base m3 got mixed, but not bad reviews, and the competition and cs models seemed to be well received by the automotive journalists, as far as I could tell.

I'm not concerned with car shoppers seeking validation from c&d or whomever. I find the reverence some people have for mainstream car reviews to be mildly annoying, if you'd like me to categorize it.

Speaking of psychology, the m-police are ripe for analysis. Why does the m340i evoke such emotion from mcar drivers? Perhaps it's because the m performance models are beginning to encroach upon what was previously sacred m-territory. A 340i with nearly 400 hp makes the m3 just a touch less special. It's still special, but maybe a little of that "m" mystique has been stolen from the m3/4. 😮
Looks like someone has a case of ///M-vy!

The F80 had mixed reviews, and I came on board regardless. Movie reviews and car reviews are the same. They are fun to read, but at the end of the day we make our own decision.

Again, I want the M340i to shine because that means the G80 will shine too. It's good for everyone. I'm not sure why you are projecting your badge insecurities on me.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #52
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like someone has a case of ///M-vy!
Ok, I have to admit , that was witty!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #53
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Near 400 ponies AND with AWD, so that 0-60 time is also a little less special... hehehe

For now..

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #54
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Even if the m340 had more power and was faster than the m3, the m3 would still be a million more times more special because it supposedly will still offer a 6mt.

I don’t really care what badge is on the back of the car and don’t have a problem with the m340i moniker. It does water down the m brand a bit, as an E36 M3 owner and perspective F87/G80 buyer I don’t care that the m340i waters down the m brand. I don’t buy my cars to impress other people, so if they’re confused what the difference between an m340 and m3 is, I don’t really care as long as the m3 still provides me the driving experience I expect
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #55
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
Even if the m340 had more power and was faster than the m3, the m3 would still be a million more times more special because it supposedly will still offer a 6mt.

I don’t really care what badge is on the back of the car and don’t have a problem with the m340i moniker. It does water down the m brand a bit, as an E36 M3 owner and perspective F87/G80 buyer I don’t care that the m340i waters down the m brand. I don’t buy my cars to impress other people, so if they’re confused what the difference between an m340 and m3 is, I don’t really care as long as the m3 still provides me the driving experience I expect
So, are you saying that an M3 or M4 with DCT is not at all special? That seems to be the case if 6MT makes the car "a million times more special"! Or was that just a little hyperbole?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #56
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't really care what badge is on the back of the car and don't have a problem with the m340i moniker. It does water down the m brand a bit, as an E36 M3 owner and perspective F87/G80 buyer I don't care that the m340i waters down the m brand. I don't buy my cars to impress other people, so if they're confused what the difference between an m340 and m3 is, I don't really care as long as the m3 still provides me the driving experience I expect
So, are you saying that an M3 or M4 with DCT is not at all special? That seems to be the case if 6MT makes the car "a million times more special"! Or was that just a little hyperbole?
It may be a bit hyperbole.

I've driven the f80 comp pack many times on the road and on track both dct and manual. The dct is obviously quicker and is very good but takes a lot out of the enjoyment factor for me.

Unless I was racing professionally and chasing track times, I would never buy the DCT, and frankly I wouldn't buy an M3 if I were that serious about tracking the car.

I drive my cars for fun and don't find the DCT engaging enough to put my money on it. The point is moot anyway since the G80 will be 8at torque converter
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #57
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't really care what badge is on the back of the car and don't have a problem with the m340i moniker. It does water down the m brand a bit, as an E36 M3 owner and perspective F87/G80 buyer I don't care that the m340i waters down the m brand. I don't buy my cars to impress other people, so if they're confused what the difference between an m340 and m3 is, I don't really care as long as the m3 still provides me the driving experience I expect
Umm ... ok, can you explain the "watered down, dilution" theory??

How does it impact the value of an ///M car?
That seems to be the running fallacy... BMW has produced M inspired cars for decades! And the G20 is more than a cosmetic upgrade. I can definitely give you a run for your money in my G20, does that now garner some respect for the badge (that you don't care about) on my car???

People ... well enthusiasts, still recognize what the M badge means.. your M3 still has the same performance capability, no???

Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50
      05-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #58
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It may be a bit hyperbole.

I've driven the f80 comp pack many times on the road and on track both dct and manual. The dct is obviously quicker and is very good but takes a lot out of the enjoyment factor for me.

Unless I was racing professionally and chasing track times, I would never buy the DCT, and frankly I wouldn't buy an M3 if I were that serious about tracking the car.

I drive my cars for fun and don't find the DCT engaging enough to put my money on it. The point is moot anyway since the G80 will be 8at torque converter
I actually agree with you on the relative levels of engagement DCT vs 6MT. But real world driving does negate that quite a bit. I had a 6MT M235i until the M340 xdrive I recently picked up...my first ever automatic. Wondered if I was crossing over to the dark side, but am happy to find that it's still fun to drive. And having just finished driving for 2hrs on the Long Island Expressway to go 15 miles, I was actually grateful for the auto. Unfortunately, around NYC there is very little "fun" driving to be done. I should probably move!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
Closed Thread