Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 US spec headlights compared - LED (base), Adaptive LED (ZCV) and Laser

04-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #89
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas TX Wes View Post
That is correct since the contents of the convenience package is included in the M-Sport package. These two builds are Sport line, though.
I would take a look at the MY19 330 order and build sheets in the stickied post. It will show you which packages automatically include Adaptive LED's.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #90
Dallas TX Wes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 (current)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I would take a look at the MY19 330 order and build sheets in the stickied post. It will show you which packages automatically include Adaptive LED's.
I am aware of the ordering and pricing guides. ZCP or ZMP gets 5A4. ZPX or ZPP deletes 5A4 and adds 5AZ.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 02:00 AM   #91
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

How in the world did we go from this, a full corona ring or 'Angel Eyes':

to this:

this:

Please bring back the PROPER corona rings. You know, the ones that are actually rings? What's next? A crescent ring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #92
electricpost
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Correct
So want to confirm the 5A4 is the one showing in the 2nd picture in the first post of this thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 01:31 AM   #93
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpost View Post
So want to confirm the 5A4 is the one showing in the 2nd picture in the first post of this thread?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #94
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

I just went on a night test-drive to check the light output of mid-level Adaptive LEDs (ZCV - non-Laser ones) before finalizing my order and here are my impressions. I do a lot of high-speed night driving on highways so a good light output is essential to me.

Below are my impressions on the Adaptive LED (ZCV) headlights.

Positives:
- Overall light output is higher than my current bi-xenon HID system
- Beam pattern is very consistent
- Projected light is wide enough to cover a 3 lane highway, and long enough for comfortable and safe high-speed highway driving (150km/h and above)
- Light swiveling works good. Lights follow the position of the steering wheel naturally and pretty much follow the curvature of the road in front of the car.
- Auto high-beam works great and responds fast to any vehicle in front of the car

Slight Negative:
- Color of the LED light is definitely in the colder part of the spectrum. It's definitely close to 6000 Kelvin. On a clear night without rain or snow this is not a problem. However, on a damp road contrast is definitely lower than with 4300K HID which gives a significantly warmer white light.
It must be said that this is just a general limitation of LED technology because it is very hard (read: expensive) to produce high-powered LED chips in warmer color (4000Kelvin).

Overall, I am very satisfied and pleasantly surprised with the quality of this system compared to standard LEDs in the 2017 F30 that I drove on a recent long night trip. G20 adaptive LEDs (ZCV) are a whole class above standard LEDs in the F30 where I found the main beams too short, and way to blue.

Therefore, I'll be skipping on lasers and will go with this regular Adaptive LED (ZCV) system for my G20.

Last edited by Calamari; 05-01-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 4
      05-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #95
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
I just went on a night test-drive to check the light output of mid-level Adaptive LEDs (non-Laser ones) before finalizing my order and here are my impressions. I do a lot of high-speed night driving on highways so a good light output is essential to me.

Below are my impressions on the Adaptive LED headlights.

Positives:
- Projected light is wide enough to cover a 3 lane highway, and long enough for comfortable and save high speed highway driving (150km/h and above)
- Light swiveling works good. Light follows the position of the steering wheel naturally, and pretty much follows the curvature of the road ahead of the car.
- Auto high-beam works great, and responds fast to vehicles ahead

Slight Negative:
- Color of the LED light is definitely in the colder part of the spectrum. It's definitely close to 6000 Kelvin. On a clear night without rain or snow this is not a problem. However, on a damp road contrast is definitely lower than with 4300K HID which gives a significantly warmer white light.
However, this is just a general limitation of LED technology because it is very hard (read: expensive) to produce high-powered LED chips in warmer color (4000Kelvin).

Overall, I am very satisfied and pleasantly surprised with the quality of this system compared to standard LEDs in the 2017' F30s that I drove on a recent long night trip. G20 adaptive LEDs are a whole class above standard LEDs in the F30 where I found the main beams too short, and way to blue.

Therefore, I'll be skipping on lasers and will go with this regular Adaptive LED system for my G20.
Very helpful, thank you.

What's really pushing me into the lasers (and therefore forcing me into the Executive Package), is that aesthetically the laser lights seem to look cooler, IMO. Considering lasers only come on in limited situations (most of which probably won't apply to me, since most of my driving is in cities), I'm struggling with this decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #96
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
How in the world did we go from this, a full corona ring or 'Angel Eyes':

to this:

this:

Please bring back the PROPER corona rings. You know, the ones that are actually rings? What's next? A crescent ring?
IMO photo #2 is a nice evolution of the Corona rings. If BMW put out a new car today with circular LEDs it would look dated.

There's no excuse for #3 though, that horrific design was most likely forced by the marketing team so they could have the different headlight tiers.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #97
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very helpful, thank you.

What's really pushing me into the lasers (and therefore forcing me into the Executive Package), is that aesthetically the laser lights seem to look cooler, IMO. Considering lasers only come on in limited situations (most of which probably won't apply to me, since most of my driving is in cities), I'm struggling with this decision.
I can agree that Lasers can be visually more appealing, especially on cars with darker colors (Blue, Grey, Black).

Lasers have two additional features compared to Adaptive LED (ZCV):
- dynamic "Selective-beam" feature
- Laser long-beam light.

However, according to the officlal info, Laser beams are only activated as high beams if ALL of the conditions are met:
- vehicle speed is above 60km/h
- there are no vehicles in front of you
- some info also says that Lasers will not activate when road lights are detected (i.e. in cities, crossroads, junctions)

In all other conditions only regular LED units are glowing.

Last edited by Calamari; 05-01-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #98
ar2020
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW

Agreed, I am coming from E90 and the rings would look dated now.

So in North America the laserlights are only for high beam?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #99
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
Agreed, I am coming from E90 and the rings would look dated now.

So in North America the laserlights are only for high beam?
Lasers are high-beam only in general, not only for North America.
Appreciate 2
ar202055.50
clee1982796.00
      05-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #100
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can agree that Lasers can be visually more appealing, especially on cars with darker colors (Blue, Grey, Black).

Lasers lights have two additional features compared to Adaptive LED (ZCV):
- dynamic "Selective-beam" feature
- Laser long-beam light.

However, according to the officlal info, Laser beams are only activated as high beams if ALL of the conditions are met:
- vehicle speed is above 60km/h
- there are no vehicles in front of you
- some info also says that Lasers will not activate in road lights are detected (i.e. in cities, crossroads, junctions)

In all other conditions only regular LED units are glowing.
That's pretty pathetic, but I'm sure is for the right safety reasons. In my scenario, I'll use lasers as often as my auto high beams come on (which is virtually never).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #101
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
I just went on a night test-drive to check the light output of mid-level Adaptive LEDs (ZCV - non-Laser ones) before finalizing my order and here are my impressions. I do a lot of high-speed night driving on highways so a good light output is essential to me.

Below are my impressions on the Adaptive LED (ZCV) headlights.

Positives:
- Projected light is wide enough to cover a 3 lane highway, and long enough for comfortable and safe high-speed highway driving (150km/h and above)
- Light swiveling works good. Lights follow the position of the steering wheel naturally and pretty much follow the curvature of the road in front of the car.
- Auto high-beam works great and responds fast to any vehicle in front of the car

Slight Negative:
It must be said that this is just a general limitation of LED technology because it is very hard (read: expensive) to produce high-powered LED chips in warmer color (4000Kelvin).

Overall, I am very satisfied and pleasantly surprised with the quality of this system compared to standard LEDs in the 2017 F30 that I drove on a recent long night trip. G20 adaptive LEDs (ZCV) are a whole class above standard LEDs in the F30 where I found the main beams too short, and way to blue.

Therefore, I'll be skipping on lasers and will go with this regular Adaptive LED (ZCV) system for my G20.
What car did you drive with LED auto High Beams? Isn't the only way to get auto High Beams on a G20 is to order the Executive Package with Laser light in the USA?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #102
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
What car did you drive with LED auto High Beams? Isn't the only way to get auto High Beams on a G20 is to order the Executive Package with Laser light?
I am in Europe where almost every piece of equipment is pretty much configurable as a standalone option. Auto-high beams is a standalone $180 option available with base LED and Adaptive LED headlights.

The car I drove was loaded Alpine White 320d xDrive with M sport package, Live Cockpit Professional, Harman Kardon sound, a bunch of driving assistance items, and a lot of other add-ons...

Last edited by Calamari; 05-02-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:08 AM   #103
pc42884
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Can someone explain to me why BMW left the middle two lightbulbs intentionally blank in both base and adaptive but are able to light up in laser setup? I mean it's got 4 eyerow looking daytime running lights, mine must be base i guess since it only stated bmw led on the side, but only the outter two lightbulbs light up. They could have done it just like laser lights but without the laser highbeam, which could have looked much better. I assume there are fake looking lightbulbs being placed on the middle two holes to make it look balanced but not too have it light up at all times is just stupid
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:46 AM   #104
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc42884 View Post
Can someone explain to me why BMW left the middle two lightbulbs intentionally blank in both base and adaptive but are able to light up in laser setup? I mean it's got 4 eyerow looking daytime running lights, mine must be base i guess since it only stated bmw led on the side, but only the outter two lightbulbs light up. They could have done it just like laser lights but without the laser highbeam, which could have looked much better. I assume there are fake looking lightbulbs being placed on the middle two holes to make it look balanced but not too have it light up at all times is just stupid
The middle bulb has been left blank for years now. The last time it was used was in the e9x generation when it was used as the turning light. The F3x generation of cars used the foglight as a turning light.

I also wanted to clarify. Cars in the USA do not get the selective beam feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #105
bimmer813
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra86 View Post
hope this will help
Which of the DRLs are the ones for the standard M340i in the US?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #106
pc42884
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
The middle bulb has been left blank for years now. The last time it was used was in the e9x generation when it was used as the turning light. The F3x generation of cars used the foglight as a turning light.

I also wanted to clarify. Cars in the USA do not get the selective beam feature.
I guess what I wanted to express is how obviously missing the light bulbs appear to be now as in the base led setting its got 4 eyebrows looking with just 2 eyes. Previous design looks more appealing and not as obvious with the full circle LED. Worse yet, I thought they had a change of design language as the laser light had 4 lightbulbs and I thought it be the same for base led to now have 4 lightbulbs on. If i had seen more non laser headlight videos prior to ordering, I would have gone for the look of the laser for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #107
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer813 View Post
Which of the DRLs are the ones for the standard M340i in the US?
Adaptive LED.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #108
Hysnbrg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 30;2020 M340;2016 340

Quote:
Adaptive LED.
My M340 build in the US says "LED Headlights w/ Cornering". Is this the same as Adaptive LED lights?
Does anyone know if this is the feature where the headlights turn as the steering turns?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #109
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysnbrg View Post
My M340 build in the US says "LED Headlights w/ Cornering". Is this the same as Adaptive LED lights?
Does anyone know if this is the feature where the headlights turn as the steering turns?
Yes. These are Adaptive LED lights. They turn as you increase the angle of your steering wheel while driving through corners.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #110
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
What car did you drive with LED auto High Beams? Isn't the only way to get auto High Beams on a G20 is to order the Executive Package with Laser light?
I am in Europe where almost every piece of equipment is pretty much configurable as a standalone option. Auto-high beams is a standalone $180 option available with base LED and Adaptive LED headlights.

The car I drove was loaded Alpine White 320d xDrive with M sport package, Live Cockpit Professional, Harman Kardon sound, a bunch of driving assistance items, and a lot of other add-ons...
To get auto high beams in the US it's bundled in a $2100 package. Rip off
Appreciate 0