Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics BMW Live Cockpit Plus?

03-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #23
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Guys, to clear everything up there are only 2 gauge setups available.

1) The standard dashboard is what has been seen in the previous posts, analog gauges that are lit up to appear digital, but are in reality Analog, similar to the 2 series. They are also available on the X3 if you don't opt for navigation. They are not the hybrid setup seen in the X3 (w/nav but no executive trim) or in the 5 series. Its purely analog with a small rectangular screen at the bottom of the dash.

2) Live Cockpit Professional is standard with navigation, this is all screen, with no bezels and is only available on the new 3,8,7, Z4,X5, and X7 models.

There is no third/middle/in-between gauge setup for the US. Other markets may differ. You can see via the builder and the cars available and the way the options work, that there are only 2 gauge setups. Just wanted to clear things up for everyone.
In non-US markets you can order the analog gauges (BMW Live Cockpit) with navigation ("BMW Live Cockpit Plus"), while the standard is without. The pricelist has identical descriptions for both ("analog instruments with 5,7" dispay"), but both builder and the pricelist photos show two slightly different versions. Weirdly, the one with navigation (upper photo) seems to have the gauges closer together, whereas the default one (lower photo) has some room between them. Also the gauges themselves and the fingers of the gauges look slightly different, but that may be due to driving mode, lightning or poor rendering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Is the difference perhaps due to navigation "professional" and navigation "business"?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
mbanck
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathys View Post
Is the difference perhaps due to navigation "professional" and navigation "business"?
As I understand it, this distinction does not exist anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathys View Post
Professional nav comes only with Live Cockpit Professional which is available only with full digital instrument cluster (and iDrive 7.0 with larger screen).

Business Nav comes with Live Cockpit Plus, and runs on iDrive 6.

Basic system is now called Live Cockpit, it doesn't have navigation, and runs on iDrive 6. Instrument cluster appears to be the same for base Live Cockpit and Live Cockpit Plus.
(These are all my findings for EU market cars)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #27
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
In non-US markets you can order the analog gauges (BMW Live Cockpit) with navigation ("BMW Live Cockpit Plus"), while the standard is without. The pricelist has identical descriptions for both ("analog instruments with 5,7" dispay"), but both builder and the pricelist photos show two slightly different versions. Weirdly, the one with navigation (upper photo) seems to have the gauges closer together, whereas the default one (lower photo) has some room between them. Also the gauges themselves and the fingers of the gauges look slightly different, but that may be due to driving mode, lightning or poor rendering.
So it makes no sense because if you go to a German or even the Brazilian configurator you get exactly the difference you showed. I have also been told by 2 dealers that the Live Cockpit Plus is the bottom solution. Nevertheless you go to Mobile.de and there is not a single G20 with that second cluster setup.

I sell stuff to the Brazilian Bimmer factory, and there are 3 dashes from the partnumbers. So something is really fucked up. Dealers have misleading info, in fact, everyone has misleading info. I guess we are stuck guessing what the hell is the right cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #28
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
I would think the "standard" one would be more expensive to produce than the "professional" solution which has a screen only. Displays are so cheap now a days. Unless they're trying to tailor the standard one to more consumers with traditional looking dials, it's really weird to see them not use the professional one as standard
Maybe a way to up sell the Nav option ?

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #29
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
So it makes no sense because if you go to a German or even the Brazilian configurator you get exactly the difference you showed. I have also been told by 2 dealers that the Live Cockpit Plus is the bottom solution. Nevertheless you go to Mobile.de and there is not a single G20 with that second cluster setup.

I sell stuff to the Brazilian Bimmer factory, and there are 3 dashes from the partnumbers. So something is really fucked up. Dealers have misleading info, in fact, everyone has misleading info. I guess we are stuck guessing what the hell is the right cluster.
Latest discussions on German forums are indicating that the mid-level instrument cluster is what you get when car is equipped with HeadUpDisplay. In case HUD is not optioned, you get the base version of instrument cluster with Live Cockpit Plus.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #30
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Latest discussions on German forums are indicating that the mid-level instrument cluster is what you get when car is equipped with HeadUpDisplay. In case HUD is not optioned, you get the base version of instrument cluster with Live Cockpit Plus.
Makes sense. This is the most coherent scenario so far, given that there are 3 dashes. Nevertheless this contradicts the configurator. I believe as more G20 come out, the easier it will be to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #31
Vettefan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Guys, to clear everything up there are only 2 gauge setups available.

1) The standard dashboard is what has been seen in the previous posts, analog gauges that are lit up to appear digital, but are in reality Analog, similar to the 2 series. They are also available on the X3 if you don't opt for navigation. They are not the hybrid setup seen in the X3 (w/nav but no executive trim) or in the 5 series. Its purely analog with a small rectangular screen at the bottom of the dash.

2) Live Cockpit Professional is standard with navigation, this is all screen, with no bezels and is only available on the new 3,8,7, Z4,X5, and X7 models.

There is no third/middle/in-between gauge setup for the US. Other markets may differ. You can see via the builder and the cars available and the way the options work, that there are only 2 gauge setups. Just wanted to clear things up for everyone.

Here in Europe it seems that there are 3 gauge setups available.
In the below add you can see what seems to be Live Cockpit Plus:
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...3-0663d1e04de0

And in this one the standard one - Live Cockpit:
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...0-4cd9eca87ee5
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00
      04-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #32
mbanck
Captain
Rep

That is very informative, thanks! Clearly there are three different gauge clusters. Also, the Live Cockpit Plus seems to have fully digitial scales?
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      04-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

This Live Cockpit Plus only has analog numbers, but it has the digital setup the same as that of a G30 530e. It is by far my favourite cluster setup for this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #34
Vettefan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

So it looks like Live Cockpit Plus is the same as below dials in X3?
https://youtu.be/rhyqo-44ZsI
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00
      04-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #35
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettefan View Post
So it looks like Live Cockpit Plus is the same as below dials in X3?
https://youtu.be/rhyqo-44ZsI
Yeah it is.
What I don't understand and many here don't is why there are Live Cockpit Plus cars with the standard cluster.

I looked through all mobile.de and I couldn't find rhyme or reason to it, given that many cars with the Live Cockpit Plus with this setup had the same equipment package as others.

Calamari apparently it doesn't depende on HUD. I saw many G20 with this setup without HUD. The only common denominator I found was ACC, but I found cars without ACC which had this cluster. Still a mystery that baffles me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #36
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it is.
What I don't understand and many here don't is why there are Live Cockpit Plus cars with the standard cluster.

I looked through all mobile.de and I couldn't find rhyme or reason to it, given that many cars with the Live Cockpit Plus with this setup had the same equipment package as others.

Calamari apparently it doesn't depende on HUD. I saw many G20 with this setup without HUD. The only common denominator I found was ACC, but I found cars without ACC which had this cluster. Still a mystery that baffles me.
When it starts to look like there is a pattern here, it suddenly gets broken again. Two cars that Vettefan posted actually follow the pattern of mid-level cluster with HUD, and entry-level without HUD. It could be that something else, like ACC also upgrades to mid-level cluster. Who knows.

From what I saw so far, is seems that just having Live Cockpit Plus, will not add mid-level cluster. To get it, other options need to be selected. My best quess is ACC and/or HUD will include mid-level cluster.

...but the mystery still remains
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #37
vladmury
First Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325d E90 LCI M-sport

From Brochure (EU spec)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #38
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep
Drives: cartt

Seems there are 3 triers of instrument clusters at least in Europe market:
Live Cockpit - classic analog dials and hands behind some semi transparent screen with small digital narrow rectangular screen at bottom
Live Cockpit Plus - kind of hybrid with digital hands and dial inside but painted speed and rev numbers up to certain level, then digital (adds navigation + some extras)
Live Cockpit Professional - Fully digital instrument cluster as we know it
Attached Images

Last edited by moonboy; 05-06-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #39
mbanck
Captain
Rep

It is clear that there are 3 tiers, however, optioning Live Cockpit Plus (or Business Package), i.e. navigation, does not imply the hybrid cluster as you claim.

One counterexample of a Live Cockpit Plus/Navigation car with the base cluster is, from https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...l?id=275433636:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #40
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep

That mobile.de offer indeed contradics that Live Cockpit Plus being the Hybrid instrument cluster. In German configurator however (www.bmw.de/myconfig/m9b8u4y2) the rendering of interior shows hybrid one as soon as "Live Cockpit Plus" is added. Same applies for pdf price lists / sales brochures where hybrid one is pictured above Live Cockpit Plus description. I shall see in about a month as I ordered Live Cockpit Plus option.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #41
mbanck
Captain
Rep

The configurator has bugs (and this appears to be one of them), e.g. it displayed stitchings in the door panels with leather dash that (at least in the EU) turned out to be not there, that one got recently fixed.

The brochure does not make a definite claim either way, though it displays the hybrid tier for Live Cockpit Plus. The text regarding the screen is identical though I believe.

Could be that BMW fits the clusters by their own liking right now, possibly based on availability. Another suggestion was that it is dependent on other options, most likely HUD, ACC or Driving Assistant.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #42
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep

Or those dealers on mobile.de do software unlock of navigation without changing instrument cluster to ramp up resale value
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #43
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Now that the 330i with live cockpit plus has arrived we finally found out how it works. You need to have ACC or HUD to have the 2nd cluster, Live Cockpit Plus is only the Analog Cluster with navigation. It makes no sense that it works like this, but that is how BMW has done. You have to select Live Cockpit Plus and ACC or HUD to have the 2nd cluster setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #44
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now that the 330i with live cockpit plus has arrived we finally found out how it works. You need to have ACC or HUD to have the 2nd cluster, Live Cockpit Plus is only the Analog Cluster with navigation. It makes no sense that it works like this, but that is how BMW has done. You have to select Live Cockpit Plus and ACC or HUD to have the 2nd cluster setup.
Thanks for clearing this once and for all.

This confirmed our speculations that HUD and ACC were "upgrading" to the hybrid analog-digital cluster.
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00