Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions CNBC 330i Review

09-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #67
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E82 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from but...the M2 competition is not even remotely in the same category/class as the 3 series sedan. It's a completely different car for a completely different buyer.

Listen, BMW is in the business of selling cars. Even Porsche with the weight of VW behind them had to come up with the cayenne/macan to stay afloat. The young new car buyer and the market demands SUVs/tech/isolation/comfort etc. That being said, BMW still delivered a car and tried to meet us more than half way. The car handles extremely well. It's so nimble and light feeling for its size and mass. The steering is not super heavy but is weighted nicely. It's comfortable and can hit 0-60 in 5.3(conservatively) while getting 40mpg on the highway. What more do people want? Does your daily commute take you through the nurburgring? I have some twisty back roads on my commute and i push this car so hard around turns yet can' barely get the tires to squeal. It's so composed and begging for more.

Everyone keeps repeating the same talking point about how incredible the Giulia is to drive-Is it all that great day to day though? There i said it. The brake peddle is a pile of mush that gives me no confidence in spirited driving. Everyone overlooks the steering which is lighter than a Camry, yet everyone seems to give the 3 series so much criticism for. The interior is from Chrysler parts bin and looks like its from 2009-def not $45k car worthy. Not a huge fan of the styling inside and out either. Not to mention the dealer/service/reliability issues. It's also not any cheaper leasing wise than a 330i.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose a car- what would you recommend in the luxury sports sedan category if not the 3 series ?
I don't need a 4 door necessarily, and can do with a two door M2C. The M2 reminds me of the driving style and feeling that made me fall in love with BMW. Like I said, the new 3 is not a bad car, it just does not elicit the confidence inspiring feeling I am used to with the E generation cars. You are right that BMW has to sell cars to younger generations who want the car to self drive and hence all the tech wizardry is bringing in the isolation. They have taken all mechanical components out of steering, brakes, accelerator, transmission and made them electronic to facilitate self/assisted driving modes. I get that's what the new generation wants in a car. But then why call yourself the Ultimate Driving Machine when the driver is not even involved in driving.

To answer your question, I would recommend any E generation BMW over ANY other car, but I will ask them this question first: "Which car did they learn to drive with?" and based on their answer would recommend a BMW or a Porsche from that era.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #68
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Life is too short to drive anything less than what you love to drive. It doesn't matter if that is a BMW today and a Toyota tomorrow. You drive what you love to drive given the realities of what you're driving (meaning your compromises are ones you are happy with).

If you feel a company or brand isn't making products you want then go to the company that does. This is the absolute best advice for two simple reasons...

1. You follow my first point. You're driving what you love to drive today. Not hoping your "favorite brand" will come around and check off your love list.

2. Companies chase growth and that means a new customer is always more valuable than an existing customer. BMW needs to meet the demands of people driving competitive cars from their target demographic to force them to convert to driving a BMW. Brand loyal customers are considered a captive audience who can't be abandoned, but don't need to drive your focus. This is why you still see Coke ads when everyone on planet earth knows what a Coke is and probably has tasted one at least once in their lifetime. Coke still needs to capture new customers. They aren't advertising for their loyal customer base...

If you truly feel BMW isn't building a car for you this year or generation or whatever. Jump ship and come back if or when they ever do. You owe BMW no loyalty as you're giving them money and it isn't the other way around. I don't see a need to destroy your BMW gear... It isn't like they went back in time and destroyed your memories. But to each their own...

Modern consumers worship brands too much and forget that we have so much choice that we call the shots.
Agreed. The disappointment is just so huge when you have worshipped the brand and loved everything they have done for last 20 years. You are right, I do have a choice and I am moving to a new brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #69
530iDriver
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dreams View Post
Agreed. The disappointment is just so huge when you have worshipped the brand and loved everything they have done for last 20 years. You are right, I do have a choice and I am moving to a new brand.
Greener pastures await you at Alfa, Genesis,MB, Audi, KIA....

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #70
tturedraider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg

Quote:
What brand are you moving to? Are you moving to a vehicle that actually competes with the 3er?

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Which one? Does that mean you're done with Bimmerpost?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:00 AM   #72
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Just about. Only thing keeping me here is because I still own an E82 135, and will be replacing it with an M2C.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:05 AM   #73
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:
What brand are you moving to? Are you moving to a vehicle that actually competes with the 3er?
Porsche in general. Giving up on the thought of a practical sedan, so no 3er equivalent. Garage now holds a Mercedes GL 550, a BMW 135, and a Porsche Boxster S. 135 will be swapped for a M2C in the next couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #74
Fuller
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just about. Only thing keeping me here is because I still own an E82 135, and will be replacing it with an M2C.
...and because we're very charming and you would miss us if you stopped coming here.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 02:28 AM   #75
Wmzorba09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:
Porsche in general. Giving up on the thought of a practical sedan, so no 3er equivalent. Garage now holds a Mercedes GL 550, a BMW 135, and a Porsche Boxster S. 135 will be swapped for a M2C in the next couple of years.
Bye 👋
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...and because we're very charming and you would miss us if you stopped coming here.
....Totally this! He'll get the M2C and still come into the G forums. Hehe.
Appreciate 0