Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics CarPlay issues

08-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #45
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Had vehicle since Saturday, no connected drive issues but car play has failed to connect 3x. If it continues i will be calling BMW and asking for a fix and since i know there isn't one I'll ask for compensation. There is zero reason they should be charging for something that doesn't work efficiently.
Same. I gave them til my next payment was due (15th), and will be calling as well asking for waiver since it's now the 12th and no update is available.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #46
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
Had vehicle since Saturday, no connected drive issues but car play has failed to connect 3x. If it continues i will be calling BMW and asking for a fix and since i know there isn't one I'll ask for compensation. There is zero reason they should be charging for something that doesn't work efficiently.
Same. I gave them til my next payment was due (15th), and will be calling as well asking for waiver since it's now the 12th and no update is available.
Are you working with the genius phone number? I'd like to start with someone who is aware of the issues
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #47
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you working with the genius phone number? I'd like to start with someone who is aware of the issues
I started with Genius and escalated to Customer Relations:

1-800-831-1117

It's not a direct line
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #48
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
I started with Genius and escalated to Customer Relations:

1-800-831-1117

It's not a direct line
CarPlay didn't connect this afternoon again. I will be calling tomorrow and asking for an extension on CarPlay. It's hard to imagine they are having this many problems and have not fixed it yet. I have even thought of writing something to one of the car reviewer's or even Apple, sometimes in order to get things done The company is motivated by negative publicity
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #49
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I've had my car a week now and it seems you can't be connected to both iDrive via BT and CarPlay at the same time? Not sure but I swapped connection from CarPlay to iDrive and now I can't seem to get back to CarPlay. It says I'm connected (to CP) but there is no button or option to actually go to CP. lol

I would like to be able to seamlessly switch back and forth between CP and iDrive. Is that not a thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I've had my car a week now and it seems you can't be connected to both iDrive via BT and CarPlay at the same time? Not sure but I swapped connection from CarPlay to iDrive and now I can't seem to get back to CarPlay. It says I'm connected (to CP) but there is no button or option to actually go to CP. lol

I would like to be able to seamlessly switch back and forth between CP and iDrive. Is that not a thing?
When mine works, I can seamlessly switch between the two. The issue becomes when it decides to stop connecting (fails to connect even after selecting "retry").

In your case, I would delete the device and re-add it and hope that it doesn't disconnect again for a while (which is the issue we're all having).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #51
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

So you can choose in your mobile devices how you are connected (CarPlay or via ID7). When doing that, you can use CarPlay and switch out easily toID7 using whatever app in ID you want. For example for me, I use Spotify on CarPlay, maps with ID, and if I get a text, CarPlay opens up to tell me I have a message. If you do a short press of the mic button on the steering wheel, ID asks what you want. If you do a long press, Siri asks what you want.

If you can’t reconnect via CarPlay (happens to me 1/10) times, then put your phone in airplane mode for 5 seconds, turn airplane mode off, and then try to reconnect your phone. At least these are the things u found out...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #52
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I got it all to work on my drive home tonight. I also set my radio preset 1 to switch to CarPlay so that's pretty great. Now I want to try to decide if Bluetooth audio or CarPlay audio sounds better. They do sound different on quick listens.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #53
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got it all to work on my drive home tonight. I also set my radio preset 1 to switch to CarPlay so that's pretty great. Now I want to try to decide if Bluetooth audio or CarPlay audio sounds better. They do sound different on quick listens.
You can hit some iDrive buttons once/twice to quickly open CarPlay as well. For example, hitting media jumps me to my Now Playing on my phone. Or hitting Navigation opens Maps.
Appreciate 2
Transfer5242.50
      08-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #54
Serottab1kr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X

Quote:
What a great idea to set the preset to go right to CarPlay! Well, my Sonos uses WiFi and has some pretty good sound! I would think WiFi even at 2.4 with a speed of 450M would easily trump Bluetooth @ 800k. Though, the best in my opinion is pulling the data from the lightning port. My 17A4 used only the wired port to support CarPlay and the sound was definitely better than using Bluetooth to connect to the MMI.

I wonder if you would notice a difference between tidal and Spotify/CarPlay in the M340i. I may give that a go. Though, I do like how iDrive provides playlist details using Apple Music.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #55
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Resetting the entire system has helped me with CarPlay connectivity issues. Hold down the volume button until the screen turns off. Hold it down again to turn on and reboot. Haven't had connection issues since (Knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #56
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaq44 View Post
Resetting the entire system has helped me with CarPlay connectivity issues. Hold down the volume button until the screen turns off. Hold it down again to turn on and reboot. Haven't had connection issues since (Knock on wood).
Good luck. I've done the same and although the time period in which the disconnects happened briefly improved, I've still had this issue at least 1-3 times a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #57
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

I called BMW yesterday and they said it was a known issue and its on apples end. They gave me the reset option. They don't have a time table for a fix. She was a nice lady so I didn't press. Yesterday no car play issues. Looks like its done it about 5x in a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #58
Emmaq44
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw 330i

Quote:
I called BMW yesterday and they said it was a known issue and its on apples end. They gave me the reset option. They don't have a time table for a fix. She was a nice lady so I didn't press. Yesterday no car play issues. Looks like its done it about 5x in a week or so.
Yikes...hopefully iOS 13 will fix a lot of issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #59
ferbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019 Sportline

hi, car went to dealer to update i level. New level is 19-7- 536 and all the problems related to waze and google maps fliping on apple car play, maps moving back wards also in ACP, voice recogniotion errors, etc... are gone. Now it looks much better than with original i level 11-8-575. Solved all my complaints.

Last edited by ferbmw; 08-23-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #60
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

I wrote a blunt email this morning to BMW Genius and Assist. I have been assigned a case manager. My email included compensation as well as my frustrations with needed to re pair frequently to use car play and blue tooth not working at all this morning. I was very transparent in saying this is not acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #61
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Still having car play issues. Phone isn't connecting, having to reboot I-Drive, sometimes it won't allow us to disconnect to attempt to reconnect, its not adding the device etc ect…

I was given a case manager whom never called me back. So I called again this morning and got an answering machine. I left a very direct message. If i don't hear by lunch today i'm calling back until i hear from someone else.

I don't want to hear its on Apples end, this is a BMW and their technology is not working. I don't think its fair to ask consumers to pay for a vehicle that touts all this tech when it doesn't work like it should. There have been numerous failures with car play and its getting very frustrating.

Last edited by BMV///M3; 09-09-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
yaholez31.50
Pauleebe379.50
      09-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #62
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Still having car play issues. Phone isn't connecting, having to reboot I-Drive, sometimes it won't allow us to disconnect to attempt to reconnect, its not adding the device etc ect…

I was given a case manager whom never called me back. So I called again this morning and got an answering machine. I left a very direct message. If i don't hear by lunch today i'm calling back until i hear from someone else.

I don't want to hear its on Apples end, this is a BMW and their technology is not working. I don't think its fair to ask consumers to pay for a vehicle that touts all this tech when it doesn't work like it should. There have been numerous failures with car play and its getting very frustrating.
Good move staying on their case like that!

There's a software update thread in general where a lot of people seem to mention it's working stable now, Link below:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638594
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #63
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My remote 3d view and CarPlay seems better, without ever receiving a software update (still on 03 version). Still annoyed OTA updates still haven't rolled out.
Appreciate 0