Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics ConnectedDrive

07-26-2019, 03:13 AM   #89
Oski666
Rep
Drives: Bmw G20 330i Msport

Guys...Calm the F*** down.

It's absolutely normal that the big technology behind iDrive would have lead to this...I am sure they are going to fix everything soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #90
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
I posted this in another thread but thought I would add here for people tracking issues.

I had an issue with idrive malfunctioning during carplay use, dropping the connection and the bc stalk concurrently not working. The bc stalk not working was a new one for me after a month of reliable idrive/connected app and CarPlay functionality. Restarted the system and reloaded phone and all is working normal again....

Anyone else have this issue arise?
I have to regularly delete the iPhone and reconnect to get the Car Play functioning ! What a joke....you would have through that Apple and BMW technical teams would have fixed this by now......not clever that BMW is charging an annual $80 fee for Car Play subscription...the more noise we make about these issues the better until they get this fixed.....I'm sure there are many service departments uploading new software, replacing parts of the Nav/Bluetooth system and the warranty costs are mounting....

Its not only the G20s, its happening in X5s and other cars in their range.

Now as for the M340i great car to drive, great performance and economy and its relaxing on the interstate but still fun on little back-country roads..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #91
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I contacted BMW Customer Relations and had my case escalated. I'm going to stop by my dealer to have them formally document the problem. I then plan to request waiver of lease payments until BMW fixes the issue (was told this wasn't out of the question). Perhaps this will motivate BMW to finally fix the problem. Obviously this technology doesn't prevent the vehicle from driving, but I don't expect to pay this much for a vehicle where technology is a major selling point, and it's clearly half-baked.

It's especially disheartening as this vehicle rolled out in March, and they still have no ETA for a software release. Working in technology and client service, if I ever gave my clients this level of service, I would have no clients and therefore no job. I'm appalled someone in corporate didn't light a fire under someone's ass to have this fixed months ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #92
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I contacted BMW Customer Relations and had my case escalated. I'm going to stop by my dealer to have them formally document the problem. I then plan to request waiver of lease payments until BMW fixes the issue (was told this wasn't out of the question). Perhaps this will motivate BMW to finally fix the problem. Obviously this technology doesn't prevent the vehicle from driving, but I don't expect to pay this much for a vehicle where technology is a major selling point, and it's clearly half-baked.

It's especially disheartening as this vehicle rolled out in March, and they still have no ETA for a software release. Working in technology and client service, if I ever gave my clients this level of service, I would have no clients and therefore no job. I'm appalled someone in corporate didn't light a fire under someone's ass to have this fixed months ago.
100% Agree, i will be doing the same thing after we take delivery next weekend. I am paying for a service, I expect it to work well. A few mishaps are understandable as its tech but the amount of complaints from owners here is really disheartening. BMW should have addressed this already. Please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #93
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
I posted this in another thread but thought I would add here for people tracking issues.

I had an issue with idrive malfunctioning during carplay use, dropping the connection and the bc stalk concurrently not working. The bc stalk not working was a new one for me after a month of reliable idrive/connected app and CarPlay functionality. Restarted the system and reloaded phone and all is working normal again....

I've got a co-worker with a '19 X5 that had those problems as well, especially the BC stalk not working. Dealer had to replace the entire instrument panel & some sort of dashboard controller module to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #94
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Just picked up my car today. Still getting used to it, so I haven't driven long enough to know if it's working.

Curious about three things:

Dealer told me the phone will work in either Carplay or BMW mode but not both. So if the car is connected via Carplay and I close Carplay for the standard BMW apps, the phone won't work via Bluetooth in standard BMW model. Funny, the Chevy I rented last week, was able to work in either mode.

Those of you with updated software, what is the version your car is running?

There is internal wifi in the car and a banner came up with the wifi password. I didn't have my phone at the time, and I can't seem to find the password.
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #95
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
Just picked up my car today. Still getting used to it, so I haven't driven long enough to know if it's working.

Curious about three things:

Dealer told me the phone will work in either Carplay or BMW mode but not both. So if the car is connected via Carplay and I close Carplay for the standard BMW apps, the phone won't work via Bluetooth in standard BMW model. Funny, the Chevy I rented last week, was able to work in either mode.

Those of you with updated software, what is the version your car is running?

There is internal wifi in the car and a banner came up with the wifi password. I didn't have my phone at the time, and I can't seem to find the password.
Your dealer is misinformed. I use (when it works) CarPlay for Waze and on my live cockpit dashboard see iDrive pulls through the album art and song status, etc. He may mean you can’t display both iDrive and CarPlay on the display simultaneously, but that’s common sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #96
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I too was pleasantly surprised to learn that with CarPlay running you don't need to be in the CarPlay screen for the apps to keep working.

I was using iDrive Navigation and in the background I got Waze audio alerts and imessage notifications. However in order to hear and reply to the message it went into the CarPlay screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #97
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I too was pleasantly surprised to learn that with CarPlay running you don't need to be in the CarPlay screen for the apps to keep working.

I was using iDrive Navigation and in the background I got Waze audio alerts and imessage notifications. However in order to hear and reply to the message it went into the CarPlay screen.
That's good to know. I wouldn't mind trying BMW's nav (even though I think Waze is superior) as it's more integrated into the driving experience, but appreciate warnings for cameras or cops (which iDrive doesn't provide).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #98
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's good to know. I wouldn't mind trying BMW's nav (even though I think Waze is superior) as it's more integrated into the driving experience, but appreciate warnings for cameras or cops (which iDrive doesn't provide).
I like BMW's Nav because it shows up in the HUD and Dash. To me using that AND Waze is the perfect combo. If it was not able to do both I would default to Waze.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #99
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like BMW's Nav because it shows up in the HUD and Dash. To me using that AND Waze is the perfect combo. If it was not able to do both I would default to Waze.
Once CarPlay is overhauled this September in iOS 13, I'm curious to see which system takes the lead.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #100
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Once CarPlay is overhauled this September in iOS 13, I'm curious to see which system takes the lead.
I’ve read that some CarPlay apps may be able to display in places like HUD. No clue if that will be the case but it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #101
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ve read that some CarPlay apps may be able to display in places like HUD. No clue if that will be the case but it would be great.
Curious how that will work. I guess if CarPlay can "run" on the main iDrive screen, it could run on the HUD? I hope this doesn't require new/different hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #102
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Curious how that will work. I guess if CarPlay can "run" on the main iDrive screen, it could run on the HUD? I hope this doesn't require new/different hardware.
CarPlay and Connected Drive barely (intermittently) work as it is. You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. We can hope though.
Appreciate 1
Pauleebe379.50
      07-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #103
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
Quote:

I've got a co-worker with a '19 X5 that had those problems as well, especially the BC stalk not working. Dealer had to replace the entire instrument panel & some sort of dashboard controller module to fix it.
That would be unfortunate. Fingers crossed this was just a glitch that will correct with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #104
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No clue to be honest. The article just said it’s a feature they will working on. Sounded like it was up to Apple to allow access to the feature.

Last edited by phillyd2; 07-28-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #105
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Working in technology and client service, if I ever gave my clients this level of service, I would have no clients and therefore no job. I'm appalled someone in corporate didn't light a fire under someone's ass to have this fixed months ago.
Perhaps that's part of the problem. BMW ISN'T working in technology. It's a car manufacturer. Last couple of years a lot of companies that do "hardware" suddenly have to keep up with the competition and make "software". This doesn't excuse them for proper customer service, however, it does explain why there's so much for them to learn. From engineering to management, if delivering a software product is new to them and their mindset I absolutely understand where this is coming from.

The other way around by the way the same happens. Software companies don't tend to make great hardware. (I even believe Tesla is a prime example of that as well).

As long as these companies are learning, evolving and improving, I hope proper customer service is employed to ease the burdon on the canary customers..
      08-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #106
JimmXinu
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, 2019 BMW 330i

For one glorious week, BMW Connected app completely worked for me.

Then--like a fool--I let it update again this morning for 'minor bug fixes'.

Now I'm back to no commands working.

Anybody save the Jul 25 APK somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
FYI, looks like the BMW Connected Android app just updated.

The other commands have been working for me for a couple weeks now, but this is the first time I've had a climatize button on the android app. It even works.

I'll check it again tomorrow, but for right now:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #107
JimmXinu
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, 2019 BMW 330i

Angry

Quote:

The other commands have been working for me for a couple weeks now, but this is the first time I've had a climatize button on the android app. It even works.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #108
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:

Quote:

I've been down again since 7/27. Apple iOS 12 on iPhone X. Just like the first time I'm waiting for spontaneous restart of the app and functions at this point the phrase "whatever" comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #109
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Other than some minor issues, CarPlay has worked for me virtually flawlessly in the 9 days I've owned the car. On v3/2019.48 version of software. Only twice did I have issues connecting either via CarPlay or iDrive interface and have had no dropped calls.

Only issues are some mismatched album art, which corrects itself after a song or two; and a "Please wait..." message when running music (shuffle by song) via iDrive interface.
Attached Images

2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #110
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Glad to hear it! I'm holding out hope these newer updates are solving some of the issues!
Appreciate 0