Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Hermanns Revenge

08-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

Hermanns Revenge

Otherwise known as "lane departure warning with steering intervention". Designed to give you the ****s when you first experience it . You are on a road which is clear of traffic except for a cyclist in front. In order to give him a wide berth you ease to the centre of the road and as you are approaching him the lane departure warning intervenes and shoves you left violently. What the hell ! who thought this up ? Of course in i- drive you can kill this stupid feature ( remembering to also do it for the spare key )

Wonder what other interesting experiences they have incorporated for the customer

Last edited by Bumble; 08-15-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
oldmick
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i Msport

Couldn’t agree more, turned mine off after first drive.
      08-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

of course the indicators do work at delivery too!! Stops this happening
Appreciate 3
themnmd1687.00
RobUK2810.00
      08-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Bumble
Private
Rep

Yers , but you can also experience this unwanted intervention in places where lane markings deviate and converge and no signalling would be anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Quietlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Garage List
2019 BMW G20  [0.00]
After driving back from the dealer, it was instantly turned off.
It's bloody awful
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:06 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If it encourages the use of indicators then that's a good thing. However if it intervenes when it shouldn't then it should be scrapped. Imagine having a passenger who tugged the wheel left every time they thought you shouldn't be moving right.

Also, if it intervenes and pulls the wheel left causing an accident, then technically could the car (BMW) be held responsible?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 03:35 AM   #7
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

To be fair to the system driving late at night on empty motorways back from the airport after enduring all sorts of nightmares I find it very useful. That said it is my third car with such system I am used to using it but I select on and off because some roads around town where 40 is the norm too many cars just pop their noses out way past the lines and you have to avoid at last minute. This is the third system (both Audi and BMW) and by far the best iteration I have tried.

My wife was driving the other day first drive since we got it for a days outing and had to swerve to avoid a tractor not stopping at a side turning on a national speed limit road. She wasn't aware of the system being engaged and she easily overrode it after the initial surprise. That was medium intervention, she now drives it with low and hasn't complained so far.

Not saying it is perfect but it if it was turned off completely, counter to the issue of it causing an accident, it did not prevent one, how would the insurance view it? Not a view just a question.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
Bumble
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not saying it is perfect but it if it was turned off completely, counter to the issue of it causing an accident, it did not prevent one, how would the insurance view it? Not a view just a question.?
How would the insurance company know ? When I was in discussion with them (Admiral) to update my policy for the new car they had a comprehension problem with what a G20 320i Sport was, kept on saying was it a M sport.
Not aware that it is mandatory to use autonomous systems if they have an OFF switch.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm just thinking why would I want a technology active that works on a fraction of the parameters available to me as a driver? I'm not anti lane departure warning when it's just that - a warning (such as vibrating the steering whel), but when it intervenes that's another matter. E.g. you swerve to avoid a cyclist, the system detects you've crossed a line without indicating and swerves you back - straight into the cyclist.

There's also the argument that at this stage of early autonomous driving technology, you're potentially dumbing down drivers. How many will not bother to look and just change lanes in the belief the car will act if there's a problem? What about the other drivers who have to react to this sort of behaviour?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'm just thinking why would I want a technology active that works on a fraction of the parameters available to me as a driver? I'm not anti lane departure warning when it's just that - a warning (such as vibrating the steering whel), but when it intervenes that's another matter. E.g. you swerve to avoid a cyclist, the system detects you've crossed a line without indicating and swerves you back - straight into the cyclist.

There's also the argument that at this stage of early autonomous driving technology, you're potentially dumbing down drivers. How many will not bother to look and just change lanes in the belief the car will act if there's a problem? What about the other drivers who have to react to this sort of behaviour?
So I've got a similar system on my Mondeo, I've grown to like it a lot, especially on motorways and more so in motorway road works that go on and on. The number of people who can't keep in their lane with narrow lanes constantly surprises me. My wife however (who doesn't drive the car very often) hates it.

Will be interesting to see how aggressive the BMW system is in comparison, the Ford is fairly gentle, it definitely doesn't grab the steering away from you, more a gentle nudge back on course if you stray too close to the line and then a vibration in the wheel if you cross the line. If you blatantly cross the line without indicating (e.g. over taking a bike) it just lets you (with the vibration warning in "full effect").

I tried a Toyota Rav4 that had a warning chime rather than a vibration, now that was very annoying and I couldn't find a way to turn it off without turning the whole system off...

The argument about dumbing down driving is a difficult one. You are still completely accountable for your driving; it will be no defence in court that your lane avoidance system didn't work. Most people understand that and you can't always cater for the odd idiot who doesn't. If the BMW system literally yanks the wheel out of your hand however that's a different story because you wouldn't normally be expecting it and if it then forces you to hit something you were trying to avoid and effectively causes the accident then liability is very tricky!?

You could argue that seatbelts, airbags, ABS, traction/stability control encourage drivers to be more reckless because you're less likely to get hurt but most people treat them as an added safety protection, not moving the barrier closer to the edge (this is a BMW forum tho!? ;-) ).

Most accidents are low speed, lack of attention issues (e.g. hitting someone up the back because they stopped quickly, pulling out without noticing something coming, reversing into someone in a car park) and modern safety tech will definitely reduce those. I've had my "your about to crash" warning come on a few times slightly quicker than I'd noticed myself when something ahead has stopped quickly. Maybe I'm just getting on a bit ;-)

Last edited by tricky6; 08-23-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Franko666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

LDW is a nightmare. Turned it of as soon as I got the car. Just wish you could keep the auto start/stop off permanently as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
LDW is a nightmare. Turned it of as soon as I got the car. Just wish you could keep the auto start/stop off permanently as well!
Your post made me check whether the G20 is supported on Bimmercode and it is so you could code out ASS.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
Bumble
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
Actually I have found the auto stop/start on my G20 pleasantly good .It works so well that stopping and cutting back in are so discreet that no noise or engine shake occurs, hardly any system lag. Whereas in my Q3 and previous F30 I always switched the systems off before moving, in the Bumble mobile I now tend to leave them active.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

Agree with the above. I had a 330i on test for a day and found the system quite aggressive.

Whereas other systems just vibrate the steering wheel, the BMW actually tries to steer you. This is fine if you’re genuinely drifting out of lane, but I found myself fighting against the system going along a slip way to join a dual carriageway. Because that involved moving across a dotted white line, the system thought I was drifting out of lane (and before you ask, yes the indicators were on!)
Appreciate 0