BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Front Bumper

02-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #1
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Front Bumper

I never think you really get to know your car until the first proper wash and polish no matter how you look at it before purchase.

Giving mine a once over today I noticed how some of the front bumper alignment around the headlights is slightly out from one side to the other. I know there's a lot of areas to line up, but is there any movement in the bumper mounts, and I presume they are buried some where hard to get to.

I looked at 3 others at a dealers near me and it is surprising how they all vary......I m only talking 2 or 3 mm though......but.t I am extremely picky!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:39 AM   #2
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
I never think you really get to know your car until the first proper wash and polish no matter how you look at it before purchase.

Giving mine a once over today I noticed how some of the front bumper alignment around the headlights is slightly out from one side to the other. I know there's a lot of areas to line up, but is there any movement in the bumper mounts, and I presume they are buried some where hard to get to.

I looked at 3 others at a dealers near me and it is surprising how they all vary......I m only talking 2 or 3 mm though......but.t I am extremely picky!
It's probably easier to adjust the alignment of the headlights themselves as oppose to the bumper.

There are 2 large hex screws on the top and a torx bolt just behind the front wheel arch lining. This torx needs to be loosened off to allow you to adjust the larger (easier to get to) hex bolts on top.

Its then just a case of adjusting up of down to line up with the bumper and bonnet. Once happy torque the torx bolt (behind the lining) to 12n/m and the headlight bolts to 24n/m and you're all good.

Otherwise there isn't a great of adjustment in the bumper itself as the majority of the fixing points are just clips.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 03:31 AM   #3
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Ah thanks........

It's only a matter a a few mm's.

I've had a good nose under the bonnet and can't see anything untoward.

It might be a case of leaving it if I have to take off the wheel arch liner.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 03:56 PM   #4
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Ah thanks........

The arch lining isn’t a huge job.

Maybe 3-5minutes tops. There’s around 15 screws to remove then it just pulls out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:07 PM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Ah thanks........

Only a few mm out is pretty good for BMW I’d say!
Their panel fit is generally good but the panel gaps not so much. Compare them with the arch rival from Ingolstatt and you’ll see what I mean! This from a BMW owner for the past four decades! BMW’s engineering and user interface is so much better though and that’s what has always sold it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:48 AM   #6
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks.

One of my first new BMWs had a bonnet issue which a BMW employee basically thought that I was expecting too much. My first premium brand car, I assumed the bonnet alignment would be better.

Looking at this one closer I now think that it's more the bumper, a couple of mm?, again perhaps I expect to much.

Time to move on and enjoy the benefits of the car.........thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0