Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Side mirrors not unfolding, windows not rolling down

04-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
AndiC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Side mirrors not unfolding, windows not rolling down

So when I unlocked the car, the mirrors didn't unfold. None of the buttons on the driver's side door seems to work except for the locking/unlocking and seating positions.

Any one experience this or know of a way to reset it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Well known problem, failure of one of the side mirrors modules. No software fix unfortunately, faulty module has to be replaced under warranty.

Check out this thread:https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1813571
Appreciate 1
AndiC27.50
      04-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
AndiC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Well known problem, failure of one of the side mirrors modules. No software fix unfortunately, faulty module has to be replaced under warranty.

Check out this thread:https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813571
Thanks, I did some searching and ended up there.

Anyone know if it's okay to pry the mirrors open by hand? I'm going in tomorrow to swap it for a loaner but I don't wanna break anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiC View Post

Anyone know if it's okay to pry the mirrors open by hand? I'm going in tomorrow to swap it for a loaner but I don't wanna break anything.
It is possible to open them by hand but they will not lock into place and will be dangling freely, so no point in doing that
Appreciate 1
AndiC27.50
      04-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:

It is possible to open them by hand but they will not lock into place and will be dangling freely, so no point in doing that
I never knew that. I've been hand folding my mirrors at least 2x a week in all 3 click positions to drain when I wash my cars and they always stay put how I leave them (which is inconvenient because I sometimes forget to put the pass one back to a normal position when I'm done).
Is the free-ballin what happens when the module breaks?
AndiC27.50
      04-20-2021, 02:12 AM   #6
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I never knew that. I've been hand folding my mirrors at least 2x a week in all 3 click positions to drain when I wash my cars and they always stay put how I leave them (which is inconvenient because I sometimes forget to put the pass one back to a normal position when I'm done).
Is the free-ballin what happens when the module breaks?
The affected mirror stays closed and doesn't move at all. After forcing it out of the closed position there is no other position the mirror would lock into, it is moving freely with no friction at all. But it can be put back into 'closed' detent.
I was told by the dealer that this is normal for G20.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      04-20-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
AndiC
United_States
Rep

I'm taking the car in today but the bastards started working again last night.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Happened to me too. Sometimes the software has to be updated, the side view cameras are integrated into the mirror and can be affected too. Not sure about yours. Either way it was a one day easy fix at the dealer
Appreciate 1
AndiC27.50
      04-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No surprise here. A lot of people (myself included) reported that at first the problem was intermittent, but ultimately they are going to fail completely, sooner than later. The dealer should be able to diagnose and find the faulty module even if the mirrors are working for the time being.

In the meantime I would recommend to deactivate the folding option to avoid getting stuck with folded mirrors again.
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
AndiC27.50
      04-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

sometime the mirrors will stop coming out. Then a few min later pop out. Yesterday was a Lowes unlocked my car got in left the parking lot and did not realize the mirrors were still closed. Took them a good 100 yards before they did finally open. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
AndiC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No surprise here. A lot of people (myself included) reported that at first the problem was intermittent, but ultimately they are going to fail completely, sooner than later. The dealer should be able to diagnose and find the faulty module even if the mirrors are working for the time being.

In the meantime I would recommend to deactivate the folding option to avoid getting stuck with folded mirrors again.
Ah makes sense. This puts me at ease. They took the car anyways and I haven't heard back so I'm hoping it's what you said.

Yeah, if this happens with the replacement/fix too, I might just completely disable that function
Appreciate 0