Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications ECU Tune- Carbahn or Dinan +

04-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #23
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilowsky View Post
So I just found out that real Dinan + numbers are 470 flywheel HP and 509 LB/FT torque.. so I guess choice is clear then. Plus currently if you tune through Carbahn you lose remote start... they are just working on patch for it.
You're in New York so do you get +22 HP on 91 or +32 HP on 93?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #24
camilowsky
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
You're in New York so do you get +22 HP on 91 or +32 HP on 93?
I wanted to get Dinan + that is mapped for 91. Now I will probably hold-off because I initially thought I will be getting around 45HP, and not only 22. I will probably wait until Carbahn fixes remote start with their tune and go with Carbahn, since they offer around 50HP more at the peak. If anyone disagree with me, let me know, since I am pretty new to this.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #25
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to get Dinan + that is mapped for 91. Now I will probably hold-off because I initially thought I will be getting around 45HP, and not only 22. I will probably wait until Carbahn fixes remote start with their tune and go with Carbahn, since they offer around 50HP more at the peak. If anyone disagree with me, let me know, since I am pretty new to this.
Yeah I was a little confused by the marketing when they launched this glad to hear I am not the only one. Here are the charts from the Dinan website for 91/93
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #26
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Has it been confirmed that remote start is retained after Dinan flash? If so that's cool
I checked with Dinan on this as I didn't want to lose remote start, but unfortunately you do lose it with Dinan as well. They're working on a patch but need a vehicle without remote start in order to analyze code differences and lock down where the issue is. Unless they get one, it could be a while, but holding out hope!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #27
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo0311 View Post
I checked with Dinan on this as I didn't want to lose remote start, but unfortunately you do lose it with Dinan as well. They're working on a patch but need a vehicle without remote start in order to analyze code differences and lock down where the issue is. Unless they get one, it could be a while, but holding out hope!
Okay thank you for clarifying that so with Dinan (unless you are willing to go race gas or full E85) you get a 22hp bump on 91 and a 30hp bump on 93 and in both cases lose your remote start. But for $1099.95 with only the 91 option they will match your warranty while your car is in warranty for a 22 hp gain. If someone opts not for the matching warranty it's only $499.95 for the 22 (or 30) HP.

This is how I am reading things if I am wrong anyone please let me know. Like maybe the 93 option is warrantied as well?

Last edited by RTPenland; 04-22-2021 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: i added that cool thing
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #28
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Minor breakthrough yesterday that we are pursuing that hopefully will resolve the remote start in some fashion. Doing some testing over the next few days and should know by mid next week how viable it really is.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay thank you for clarifying that so with Dinan (unless you are willing to go race gas or full E85) you get a 22hp bump on 91 and a 30hp bump on 93 and in both cases lose your remote start. But for $1099.95 with only the 91 option they will match your warranty while your car is in warranty for a 22 hp gain. If someone opts not for the matching warranty it's only $499.95 for the 22 (or 30) HP.

This is how I am reading things if I am wrong anyone please let me know. Like maybe the 93 option is warrantied as well?
Lot's of things to unpack here --

Dinan + is the only variant that offers the factory matching warranty. It is calibrated for 91 octane as that is the minimum standard for the vehicle. You may use a higher octane than prescribed by the tune. For example, running 93 Octane on a 91 Octane map is fine, and in most cases will offer a bump in performance. Typically not to the full extent of the specific 93 callibration but more then adverstised on 91. We only warrant 91 octane simply because that is what we can control. Warrantying higher grades with more aggressive maps leaves the possibility that folks will run lower octane then required by the and cause harm to the engine which we would then be liable for.

As far as the power bumps go -- if you are strictly looking at peak HP only then yes that gain is 22 HP (Dinan + (91)). Please note however that that peak occurs at 6000 RPM, a very narrow part of the power band that generally speaking is not utilized terriby often outside of a race track. Typical street driving is more in the 2k-4k RPM range. This is where the argument for the "area under the curve" comes into play. Is the power usable and in an area that is actually realized essentially. I would encourage you to expand the scope of metrics beyond peak HP as that is one very small data point.

In comparison to other vendors tunes all I will say is that you should ensure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing charts. There will be some variance from different dyno types but nowadays I like to think that is minimal. However, is it the same octane, run in the same gear, similar cooling conditions, same vehicle / type, etc? All of those will have a bearing on comparables. I like to think we do a good job of presenting all the different variables and clearly label everything so that everything is pretty transparent.
Appreciate 1
Top Gon411.50
      04-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #29
camilowsky
Rep

So I was bored enough to create graphs for comparison. Note that there are approximates, see below. From these graphs seems that Dinan provides more power from 2500 to 4500 RPM. At 5000 RPM, HP advantage of Carbahn is negligible - 1HP, the difference starts at 5500 RPM that I assume not everyone will push on a highway.

Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Top Gon411.50
G-Mann413.00
MineralM251.00
      04-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #30
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay so to summarize (based on what I see on the Dinan website and the numbers they are sharing:
  • All Dinan tunes are marketed as stage 1 or Dinan+
  • Dinan Stage 1 (Dinan+) 91 - we get a 22 HP bump
  • Dinan Stage 1 on 93 - we get a 30 HP bump
  • Both tunes presently eliminate your remote start
  • Both tunes are $499.95
  • With the Dinan+ option you can add an extended warranty for an additional $600.00
Please let me know if any of these numbers are wrong

Last edited by RTPenland; 04-23-2021 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: added a bullet point
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #31
camilowsky
Rep

Quote:
Okay so to summarize (based on what I see on the Dinan website and the numbers they are sharing:
  • All Dinan tunes are marketed as stage 1 or Dinan+
  • Dinan Stage 1 (Dinan+) 91 - we get a 22 HP bump
  • Dinan Stage 1 on 93 - we get a 30 HP bump
  • Both tunes presently eliminate your remote start
  • Both tunes are $499.95
  • With the Dinan+ option you can add an extended warranty for an additional $600.00
Please let me know if any of these numbers are wrong
I was told that you won’t lose remote start with Dinan, I spoke with them over the phone.

Can Dinan_Engineering confirm whether we lose or keep remote start with Dinan +?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #32
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I was told that you won’t lose remote start with Dinan, I spoke with them over the phone.

Can Dinan_Engineering confirm whether we lose or keep remote start with Dinan +?
they (Dinan) just confirmed a couple posts above that remote start is lost with their tune
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #33
camilowsky
Rep

Quote:
they (Dinan) just confirmed a couple posts above that remote start is lost with their tune
I guess need to wait until they come-up with patch that let us keep remote start. Once they do that, I am all set to get my car tuned.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

At this exact moment remote start is lost regardless of tune variant (Dinan+ or Stage 1). Technically it works for one start after the flash is installed and then will not after that but don't think anyone would consider that "working." As noted a couple posts up we are fairly confident we are on the path to resolving it in some form or another. Doing some permutation testing over the weekend and into early next week. By mid-week next week we should have a clearer idea if it is the magic bullet or needs more work.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I guess need to wait until they come-up with patch that let us keep remote start. Once they do that, I am all set to get my car tuned.
Yeah I think Mission Performance is the only tuner that figured out a work around for adding or retaining remote start after flash. Those guys it seems have the capability to do some pretty cool things probably why Toyota hired them to work on their Supra

Last edited by RTPenland; 04-23-2021 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: added the toyota comment
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #36
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Thank you Dinan_Engineering for responding to this thread and clarifying the results.

Is there a Carbahn rep on this forum also?

CarBahn Autoworks

I'm currently running a jb4 but I might jump ship to Dinan/Carbahn in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #37
placebo0311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I think Mission Performance is the only tuner that figured out a work around for adding or retaining remote start after flash. Those guys it seems have the capability to do some pretty cool things probably why Toyota hired them to work on their Supra
They did?? I was under the impression that their workaround was to keep your keycard in your vehicle at all times, which will allow you to use remote start (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). I wouldn't consider that proper remote start function, but if they did indeed fix it, awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #38
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
They did?? I was under the impression that their workaround was to keep your keycard in your vehicle at all times, which will allow you to use remote start (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). I wouldn't consider that proper remote start function, but if they did indeed fix it, awesome!
Yes. I believe you have to keep the key card in the car for remote start to work in an MP tuned car.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #39
camilowsky
Rep

Dinan_Engineering Any news on remote start?
Appreciate 1
siegester344.50
      05-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #40
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still being worked on. The method we were testing/pursuing pseudo works but has caused some other problems on seemingly unrelated systems. Down the rabbit hole we are going. The good news (if your a silver lining type of person) is that it seems to affect all the late model cars in the fleet so it is getting a bit more attention as a result.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #41
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Still being worked on. The method we were testing/pursuing pseudo works but has caused some other problems on seemingly unrelated systems. Down the rabbit hole we are going. The good news (if your a silver lining type of person) is that it seems to affect all the late model cars in the fleet so it is getting a bit more attention as a result.
Are remote iDrive updates possible with a bench flash?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #42
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Lot's of things to unpack here --

Dinan + is the only variant that offers the factory matching warranty.

NOT true, CarBahn also offers factory matching warranty. A guy at Carbahn told me many of the DME tuners at Dinan left for CarBahn when Steve Dinan started the company. Take it for what it's worth but seems logical since CarBahn had full DME tunes long before Dinan. When I got my CarBahn time in July 2020 Dinan only offered piggy backs similar to JB4.

Last edited by SpiveyCJ; 06-03-2021 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #43
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
No. OTA updates will overwrite and lock your DME again. Allowing OTA updates will result in having to perform a bench load again. If you want the OTA updates to occur regularly, you should not pursue a tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #44
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
No. OTA updates will overwrite and lock your DME again. Allowing OTA updates will result in having to perform a bench load again. If you want the OTA updates to occur regularly, you should not pursue a tune.
Not ideal. I could do without given the lack of worthwhile features rolled out so far but the bigger concern is having to worry about the dealer pushing an update when it's in for the annual service. I thought maybe iDrive could be updated separately from the DME. I guess that is not the case :/
Appreciate 0