Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions So close!

02-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #23
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
It's the latest software updates that appear to have reduced the engine noise on several BMW models. I don't think mild hybrid has anything to do with it.

My car arrived today, but PDI was not done and my winter tires were not ready either. I hope tomorrow (thursday) I can pick it up, but that might even be doubtful.

Rob
Cool...Congrats by the way. Nardo Grey is a great colour and with that interior. WOW.

Interesting about the s/w update, think you might be on something there. Anyway, can't wait to here all about it
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:57 PM   #24
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanhfx View Post
Cool...Congrats by the way. Nardo Grey is a great colour and with that interior. WOW.

Interesting about the s/w update, think you might be on something there. Anyway, can't wait to here all about it
I picked up the car today and I think the battery is bad. It's only showing up to #3 (out of 8) on the bmw charger which is not very good (#4 is where it's got enough to start). I've got it on charge now and will see how it's in the morning. I may have to take it back to the dealership and leave it there until the battery is replaced. I just checked it now and it's been plugged in 2 hours. Still at #3.

I'm also disappointed that there is a fair number of scratches in the clearcoat. I was planning on paint correction and ceramic coating, but the car will also need a lot of polishing first.

edit: #3 seems to be the bulk charge mode, so it might be there for quite a while if the battery was not charged very well. I'll still take it back in the morning and have them test it.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 02-19-2021 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:46 AM   #25
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Sorry to hear about that. You'd think a battery test would be part of the PDI, hopefully it's just part of the charging mechanism of the charger and will get full charge.

It seems a full paint correction is a necessity now with new car purchases.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #26
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that. You'd think a battery test would be part of the PDI, hopefully it's just part of the charging mechanism of the charger and will get full charge.

It seems a full paint correction is a necessity now with new car purchases.
I let it charge over night and it wasn't any better this morning. I dropped the car off at the dealership and am back in a new 430i loaner. This morning I also got a drivetrain error when I tried to start the car. Maybe it was because I had forgot the key in the house?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #27
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Bummer about all the early problems! When I picked up my ZHP they had to put a new battery in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #28
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Out of curiosity, what is the brand of the battery? If it's the German brand Varta, I'm not surprised. Their batteries are crap. They always seem to have a much shorter lifespan than others. That's the experience I've had with Audi anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #29
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I let it charge over night and it wasn't any better this morning. I dropped the car off at the dealership and am back in a new 430i loaner. This morning I also got a drivetrain error when I tried to start the car. Maybe it was because I had forgot the key in the house?

Rob
Oh interesting. I'm sure it'll get straightened out. Not to take over your thread, I signed deal for San Marino Blue Metallic today, estimated delivery in 2-3 weeks, and in preparation ordered battery tender for it .

Keep us updated, curious as to the solutions and how you like the car once you are able to drive it for abit.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #30
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Well the M550i is on a different planet than the M340i/M440i on various levels, not least of which being $$$. It's a beast though and I'm amazed how economical it is considering it uses a V8. HOWEVER, it's just a bit too bland stylistically for my liking. I'd probably be looking more at an AMG E53 for the money. I mean look at that front end compared to the M550i.
The M550 and AMG E53 weight around 400 lbs more than an M340i, guess which car will be more fun to drive on a track. No comparison I'll take the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #31
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehb View Post
The M550 and AMG E53 weight around 400 lbs more than an M340i, guess which car will be more fun to drive on a track. No comparison I'll take the M340i.
Are you really planning on tracking your M340i?
Personally I'd prefer the AMG CLA45 for that and it's less $$ than the others, but closer to the M340i. I've always found it intriguing they both have exactly 382HP though the CLA45 has 2 fewer cylinders. It beat out the M340i at VIR by 5 seconds at C&D's Lightning Lap event though it was a bit unfair as the AMG had super sticky racing tires

The nifty 4Matic+ traction on it is magic though.

Last edited by TiMSport; 02-19-2021 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      02-21-2021, 12:16 AM   #32
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is the brand of the battery? If it's the German brand Varta, I'm not surprised. Their batteries are crap. They always seem to have a much shorter lifespan than others. That's the experience I've had with Audi anyway.
I have not looked yet.

I went to pick it up friday after it had been on charge for a few hours. The car was still not acting right and shutting off displays due to low battery charge. So the salesman and I left it on charge at the dealership overnight and did a pending OTA update on saturday while it was still hooked up to the charger. Prior to that overnight charge, the car didn't want to update at all, nor would it even accept any remote commands from the connected app.

So far so good. I haven't had the displays shutoff and remote app is working correctly now. It's parked in the driveway now.

I have an appointment scheduled for March 1 to get the paint corrected and ceramic coated. I don't know if I will do any PPF though.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:31 AM   #33
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh interesting. I'm sure it'll get straightened out. Not to take over your thread, I signed deal for San Marino Blue Metallic today, estimated delivery in 2-3 weeks, and in preparation ordered battery tender for it .

Keep us updated, curious as to the solutions and how you like the car once you are able to drive it for abit.
Congrats on the car! I know the waiting game sure isn't fun...

Here's a picture from delivery. Rims are 18inch replica with snow tires. The 20's which come with the car will have to wait.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:34 AM   #34
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Interesting your side mirror caps are painted the same as your body color even though you apparently have the Shadowline package. My guess is it's a Canadian thing because I'm pretty sure when we order our car with the Shadowline trim it includes black side mirror caps. Mine will be CF though!

Your car looks good!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:47 AM   #35
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but climate control rules are broken in the 7/20 .54 version of IDrive. Steering wheel heat comes on, but seat heating does not. When I tried to access the rules page, it just shows 'Loading...' and does nothing. A quick search shows this is an issue with IDrive 7 itself and affects other models. I reset car data and the rules option disappeared. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #36
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting your side mirror caps are painted the same as your body color even though you apparently have the Shadowline package. My guess is it's a Canadian thing because I'm pretty sure when we order our car with the Shadowline trim it includes black side mirror caps. Mine will be CF though!

Your car looks good!
This particular version of the M340i were all pre-configured a specific way from the factory so that probably explains the side mirrors. I might get them wrapped in black when I get the paint correction done.

Aerodynamically this car is just so much quieter than the X3 M40I which I traded. It was one of the reasons I traded the X3 because it just had so much wind noise. Sunroof open = lots of wind noise. Driver window open a bit = lots of wind noise and buffeting which was hard on my left ear.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #37
youngsandwich
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

Your car looks good!
This particular version of the M340i were all pre-configured a specific way from the factory so that probably explains the side mirrors. I might get them wrapped in black when I get the paint correction done.

Aerodynamically this car is just so much quieter than the X3 M40I which I traded. It was one of the reasons I traded the X3 because it just had so much wind noise. Sunroof open = lots of wind noise. Driver window open a bit = lots of wind noise and buffeting which was hard on my left ear.

Rob
Body color mirrors are a euro thing as well (at least with MY2021)....would've cost me an extra 100 or so to get black mirrors even with shadow line package. Seems like a strange upcharge especially as I have an individual color but fine by me...might get CF caps anyhow
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #38
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsandwich View Post
Body color mirrors are a euro thing as well (at least with MY2021)....would've cost me an extra 100 or so to get black mirrors even with shadow line package. Seems like a strange upcharge especially as I have an individual color but fine by me...might get CF caps anyhow
Oh I see, that's interesting. Yeah I agree, kind've stupid to upcharge you an extra 100 for black mirrors, especially if you have the Shadowline package. That's cheaper than the $930 for my CF mirror caps though

I keep talking about Audi stuff (sorry) but my S3 was equipped with their equivalent of the Shadowline package (Black Optics) and it too came with body colored side mirrors. Usually S branded models have an aluminum type finish that contrasts with the body color. That was the first time I have encountered that situation with getting the same color mirror caps when ordering something non-standard like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #39
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Well it sucks, but I probably have to take the car back for a software update. The OTA update removed drive recorder, climate control rules and who knows what else. The steering wheel heating still comes on from a remote start, but seat heating does not.

The battery is working better now. I have not had any instances of low charge warnings showing up while using things with the engine turned off.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #40
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

The missing IDrive options was fixed by doing a hard reset of IDrive by holding volume in for about a minute. I didn't know how long exactly, so I started there. Climate control rules and driver recorder are now back. The dealership would not do any additional software update.

I have not had any further battery issues, but there is another issue happening now. This morning I did a remote start and when I got in the vehicle, there was a drivetrain malfunction alert. This is not the first time is has happened and I have seen it maybe twice before when IDrive would report low battery charge. I stopped the engine, restarted and the error went away.

I have the car booked in wednesday at the dealership.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #41
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey Rob, did you get everything taken care of? Seems like you had some bad luck. My only issue thus far is the car will shut off when I bring it into the garage, but when I get out, it doesn't power down the last 4 out of 6 times, thus I can't lock it. Nothing changed, but I now put it into S+ before stopping in the garage and then turn it off manually.

Another note is that gas mileage is unreal. During my first 2048 kms, I'm averaging 6.1 L / 100 kms. I have just taken it for drives through a twisty road, about 20 kms is top and go, then 50k/hr then mix of 70-80 k/hr roads. I've got 5.9 L / 100 kms in a couple trips. Now that break in is over, even if I drive in S+ a little more, can't see it being over 7L/100km.

This is the same route I've driven my non-daily for 12 years. My F30 can do it in 8 L/ 100kms, C43 AMG did it 9.3 to 9.6 L / 100kms, although with the AMG exhaust I did do more pops in S+ mode

Although this G20 exhaust is more muted than I expected, it's not that bad. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #42
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey Rob, did you get everything taken care of? Seems like you had some bad luck. My only issue thus far is the car will shut off when I bring it into the garage, but when I get out, it doesn't power down the last 4 out of 6 times, thus I can't lock it. Nothing changed, but I now put it into S+ before stopping in the garage and then turn it off manually.
Everything is fine now. I have had no further issues with the battery and the rest is sorted out too.

I programmed sport individual with all comfort settings so it's the same as comfort, but the auto start/stop is disabled. I never have my car in regular comfort when parking at home because it will almost always shutoff and startup again as I'm pulling into the driveway.

I also recommend turning off the preconditioning/ventilation notification. You can accidently bump the dial while grabbing your phone and this will cause the car to start again within several seconds.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Seanhfx217.00
      04-25-2021, 02:10 AM   #43
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I'm curious, how does one get the nardo grey color and what's the additional cost. I don't see the option when I start my build.b is this available in the us?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #44
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
I'm curious, how does one get the nardo grey color and what's the additional cost. I don't see the option when I start my build.b is this available in the us?
You would have your dealer put in the order for Individual Paint, there is an additional charge for it

Check out the link below

https://visualizer.bmw-individual.co...38;lang=EN#top
Appreciate 0