Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Unusual option code appeared on new car order

03-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Unusual option code appeared on new car order

I'm in the process of ordering a new G22 coupe with my local dealer and placed the original order on 1/3/21. I specced amongst other things Black Full Merino Leather (option code ZBSW) and Individual Aluminium Fabric Interior Trim (option code XED).
After giving it some thought and listening to the input from my wife (we!) decided to forget about the Individual interior trim option and stick with the Aluminium Tetragon Trim instead, but still specifying the merino leather option. So the order was amended with the dealer on 5/3/21 whilst still awaiting a build slot from BMW.
However this new order shows a 'no cost' option now which states
"48Z Deletion lumbar support/width adjustment passenger side".
I'm confused what's that all about? Anyone have any idea or knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Passenger seat lumbar support was removed from specification.

There is a production restriction on this option due to the supply shortage of required components. At first, new orders were being delayed indefinitely, now it seems they are modifying orders to cancel the option altogether and go ahead with production.

In my opinion you should negotiate a compensation, as you are not getting a feature that you normally would.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Passenger seat lumbar support was removed from specification.

There is a production restriction on this option due to the supply shortage of required components. At first, new orders were being delayed indefinitely, now it seems they are modifying orders to cancel the option altogether and go ahead with production.

In my opinion you should negotiate a compensation, as you are not getting a feature that you normally would.
The b*****ds !
Thank you very much for that! Can I ask how you happened on that (gold) nugget of information?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

I'm from Poland and a lot of people here are being informed by the dealers about the restrictions. Other problematic options are HK audio and mesheffect interior trim, but the absolutely worst situation is with the lumbar support, hence the order modification.
Appreciate 1
bmnut801.50
      03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
I'm from Poland and a lot of people here are being informed by the dealers about the restrictions. Other problematic options are HK audio and mesheffect interior trim, but the absolutely worst situation is with the lumbar support, hence the order modification.
Thank you very much for that, it is much appreciated!
Clearly your dealers in Poland are far better informed than ours are here in the UK or it is down to BMW(UK) who from my past experience tend to be over secretive with information and not as transparent as they ought to be with cars of this price.
I've owned many BMWs over the past 39 years and this is the first time I have ever experienced this situation, having said that it's the first time we've found ourselves in the situation of a global pandemic. The cynical side of me thinks this is yet another convenient excuse as a consequence of COVID 19!
I shall speak to my dealer again tomorrow in the light of your information and discuss with them your suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

You are welcome and good luck with your dealer!

I've checked with my local forum and apparently BMW is struggling with its suppliers. The list of restrictions is getting longer and longer. Because of that a lot of orders are being delayed by weeks or even months.
People are negotiating with dealers with different results. Some are getting nothing but the possibility to cancel the order at no cost and some are offered a compensation or even free upgrades (e.g. there is also a problem with live cockpit plus so dealer is upgrading to professional for free).

Last edited by Yossi123; 03-07-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
bmnut801.50
      03-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #7
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Maybe the delayed options have parts manufactured in the UK. Shipping between here and the EU is in a right old mess at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:36 AM   #8
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Maybe the delayed options have parts manufactured in the UK. Shipping between here and the EU is in a right old mess at the moment.
You’re not wrong there! I’ve come across a number of instances where the distribution chains seem to have gone to hell in a handcart!
Bloody politicians, trade disputes and global pandemic, it’s all buggering up my new car order!
Wouldn’t care but I only change once every several years!
Appears to be too much to ask at present!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

From numerous enquiries I've been making one response was that BMW are deleting lumbar support/width adjustment from the front passenger seat on G22 modes with effect from week 12 production!
Anyone heard anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

According to the configurator, there’s a note to say the passenger bolster width adjuster is deleted.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
According to the configurator, there’s a note to say the passenger bolster width adjuster is deleted.
That is interesting! I spoke to BMW Customer Services just last week and that’s who told me about the deletion from wk12 production onwards.
I pointed out that customers ought to be made aware of that as the configurator doesn’t say that. He agreed and said he would bring that up with line managers. So it would appear he has been true to his word.
I’ve just been on the configurator and can’t find it? Where did you come across it may I ask?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #12
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
That is interesting! I spoke to BMW Customer Services just last week and that’s who told me about the deletion from wk12 production onwards.
I pointed out that customers ought to be made aware of that as the configurator doesn’t say that. He agreed and said he would bring that up with line managers. So it would appear he has been true to his word.
I’ve just been on the configurator and can’t find it? Where did you come across it may I ask?
I found it in the Optional Equipment area in the saloon configurator. I clicked on Front Sports Seats within Interior Equipment.

Last edited by SilverGrey; 03-16-2021 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:23 AM   #13
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

See note at the bottom of the Front Sport Seats details.
Attached Images

Last edited by willougs; 03-16-2021 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmnut801.50
      03-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #14
fedortche
Rep
Drives: Doesnt matter

Just confirmed that the same thing happened to my 3 series order.
I'm bloody furious, will have to cancel it now after 3 month wait, absolutely unacceptable from BMW side
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedortche View Post
Just confirmed that the same thing happened to my 3 series order.
I'm bloody furious, will have to cancel it now after 3 month wait, absolutely unacceptable from BMW side
I can totally understand how you feel. I was not entirely thrilled when my order suddenly changed with this deletion code. I agree it is totally unacceptable for BMW to (yet again) fly something in under the radar and not say anything possibly hoping nobody would notice.
It will be interesting to see how BMW(UK) respond to this announcement from BMW(AG), will they offer some form of compensation or endorse the teutonic arrogance?!
Then there is the dealer network, how will they respond to the customer enquiries? Will they be supportive and demonstrate a gesture of goodwill or say, please yourself if you want to cancel the order we have other customers waiting for cars, who knows? The best I would imagine we can expect is that any deposit paid on an order ought to be returned on cancellation and not forfeited since it is them who have broken the contract and not us?
Irrespective as to what ultimately pans out I'm still p****d off about it though!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #16
fedortche
Rep

Quote:
I can totally understand how you feel. I was not entirely thrilled when my order suddenly changed with this deletion code. I agree it is totally unacceptable for BMW to (yet again) fly something in under the radar and not say anything possibly hoping nobody would notice.
It will be interesting to see how BMW(UK) respond to this announcement from BMW(AG), will they offer some form of compensation or endorse the teutonic arrogance?!
Then there is the dealer network, how will they respond to the customer enquiries? Will they be supportive and demonstrate a gesture of goodwill or say, please yourself if you want to cancel the order we have other customers waiting for cars, who knows? The best I would imagine we can expect is that any deposit paid on an order ought to be returned on cancellation and not forfeited since it is them who have broken the contract and not us?
Irrespective as to what ultimately pans out I'm still p****d off about it though!
Yeah obviously there would be no problem with deposit, that's not even a question.
It's just not even clear right now if that would be reversed later when production stabilizes or what. Personally I'm stunned how this is handled by the supposedly premium manufacturer, I really don't get how they might have made that decision to just pull lumbar support from passenger side and think it would be ok to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah obviously there would be no problem with deposit, that's not even a question.
It's just not even clear right now if that would be reversed later when production stabilizes or what. Personally I'm stunned how this is handled by the supposedly premium manufacturer, I really don't get how they might have made that decision to just pull lumbar support from passenger side and think it would be ok to do that.
Well...I've got a theory about that!
BMW's marketing 'blurb' regarding lumbar support / backrest width adjustment appears to centre around finding the 'perfect' driving position which tends to suggest it's all about the driver and sod the front seat passenger. Coupled to some of the earlier replies I've had to this thread and that BMW appear to be having issues with their supply chains (aren't all manufacturers these days?) then my theory (conspiracy or otherwise!) is ......

Let's say they can only get 1000 of those units to fit to front car seats, do they fit to both seats as was the case and make 500 cars or do they do a 'spec adjustment' so they can still produce 1000 cars?....Profit from 500 units v profit from 1000 units?......I should work in their 'bean counting department!'

Still think it's outrageous mind you!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #18
fedortche
Rep

Quote:
Well...I've got a theory about that!
BMW's marketing 'blurb' regarding lumbar support / backrest width adjustment appears to centre around finding the 'perfect' driving position which tends to suggest it's all about the driver and sod the front seat passenger. Coupled to some of the earlier replies I've had to this thread and that BMW appear to be having issues with their supply chains (aren't all manufacturers these days?) then my theory (conspiracy or otherwise!) is ......

Let's say they can only get 1000 of those units to fit to front car seats, do they fit to both seats as was the case and make 500 cars or do they do a 'spec adjustment' so they can still produce 1000 cars?....Profit from 500 units v profit from 1000 units?......I should work in their 'bean counting department!'

Still think it's outrageous mind you!
Yes I think it's exactly that, at least it's the only explanation I could find.
But then it's even more outrageous to think you could do that for top spec m340i order already waiting for 3 months when you actually HAVE those seats...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #19
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I think it's exactly that, at least it's the only explanation I could find.
But then it's even more outrageous to think you could do that for top spec m340i order already waiting for 3 months when you actually HAVE those seats...
Makes you wonder how tight their 'arrive in time' window is for the production finishing lines?
I live close to and have friends who work at Nissan at Sunderland and the 'arrive in time' supply lines are sometimes just literally hours, so some things fitted to the vehicles have been made by the supplier only very, very recently.
Apparently this b*ll**ks with BMW is applied to cars from Wk 12 production onwards so I'm led to believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:13 AM   #20
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Anyone know when BMW plans to start producing cars including passenger lumbar support width adjustmewnt again? I'm looking to put an order in but I think this was a poor solution from BMW and I plan to hang it out till they start producing 100% of a car again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #21
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Gross Byte View Post
Anyone know when BMW plans to start producing cars including passenger lumbar support width adjustmewnt again? I'm looking to put an order in but I think this was a poor solution from BMW and I plan to hang it out till they start producing 100% of a car again.
I’m starting to think that BMW may well quietly forget about putting the feature back on the front passenger seat if they don’t receive a torrent of complaints about deleting it?
Certainly my order lists it as deleted and nothing has currently changed. I can understand your feelings about it though especially as BMW build a 99.9% car but still charge us 100% of the price? 🤔
Personally it’s not a deal breaker for me as I’ve never specced lumbar support in the past and never use the backrest width adjustment as I’d get wedged now I’m getting older and more round! 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

It's not the price that bothers me. I want lumbar support for both front seats!

I've since got some more info via a data sheet that a dealer supplied.

"Deletion lumbar support/width adjustment
passenger side S048Z

With this option, the passenger seat width adjustment is deleted when in
combination with Sport seats. Where front lumbar support is specified in
addition, only the driver's side will come with this functionality. There is no
option available to add back in either function to the passenger seat. M Sport
seats are not affected.
Available as standard."

That says to me that not only will the lumbar width not be adjustable (which is what the configurator states) but also there will not be any lumbar support at all on the passenger side! So the front seats will be odd. They won't match. You can of course still have it with the M Sport seats which are reasonably priced at almost a grand but you can only have them in a choice of two colours; black or cognac.

Last edited by Herr Gross Byte; 04-21-2021 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0