Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions The hideous 4

04-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
Vin0770
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i xdrive

Garage List
2021 430ix  [0.00]
The hideous 4

My first bimmer so I was a blank sheet when shopping the German cars for the first time. MB C class and Audi A5 prestige, all coupes, it was so obvious the 4 was MUCH better the choice was a no brainer.

I didn’t hear about all the fuss over the hideous new look until I had test driven one and fell in love with it. On my second test drive and loved it even more, I put my sales guy on the spot and asked him how he’s dealing with all hate about the grille on the internet? He didn’t dodge the question and said it’s real but he thought the black shadowline option really toned it down.

Until he said that I hadn’t realized that’s what I was testing and we were now looking at. I was about to confess I must be a mutant because I really liked what I was looking at! The shadowline really changes the look and that’s what I went with.

My point is with 50-55% being haters out there and I looked at everything, comments under every YouTube review out there and certainly the blog/forum sites...but that’s what it looks like to me...the question really is who’s going to be right? With that many negative opinions, non buyers certainly, not only did BMW roll the dice with their $ on the line, we should see a huge dip in sales right? I’m still holding my breath with predictions BMW will be forced to listen or turn into Edsel...so here are the first figures.

The US sales were 4,758 in the first quarter. Carfigures.com

You can go to that site and do the math for worldwide sales or your region.

After a month I still haven’t seen another one on the road to wave at. What do you think...what have you been seeing?
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
anselansel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin0770 View Post
My first bimmer so I was a blank sheet when shopping the German cars for the first time. MB C class and Audi A5 prestige, all coupes, it was so obvious the 4 was MUCH better the choice was a no brainer.

I didn’t hear about all the fuss over the hideous new look until I had test driven one and fell in love with it. On my second test drive and loved it even more, I put my sales guy on the spot and asked him how he’s dealing with all hate about the grille on the internet? He didn’t dodge the question and said it’s real but he thought the black shadowline option really toned it down.

Until he said that I hadn’t realized that’s what I was testing and we were now looking at. I was about to confess I must be a mutant because I really liked what I was looking at! The shadowline really changes the look and that’s what I went with.

My point is with 50-55% being haters out there and I looked at everything, comments under every YouTube review out there and certainly the blog/forum sites...but that’s what it looks like to me...the question really is who’s going to be right? With that many negative opinions, non buyers certainly, not only did BMW roll the dice with their $ on the line, we should see a huge dip in sales right? I’m still holding my breath with predictions BMW will be forced to listen or turn into Edsel...so here are the first figures.

After a month I still haven’t seen another one on the road to wave at. What do you think...what have you been seeing?
lol I get compliments all the time and now IMO the older 4s look very dated....I
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
My first bimmer so.....
BMW is full send on the front end. That battle is over. No one sans the hand me down henrys, some people on this forum, maybe a handful of BMW fanbois, talk shit about the grille. Sure certain configs look better than others but that is subjective. Pretty much every day since I have gotten mine, someone gives some sort of positive feedback to me about the look of the car. It gets annoying after a while. I like this car but I am not in love with the front end. It grew on me. I took a chance with it because I know that it only has a 2 year shelf life in my garage. Rarely ever do I love a car so much it makes it out of the rotation. Historically with BMW, that is how it goes. E92 M3, I loved that car and kept it for a while. The S65, a V8? rabble rabble rabble. It goes away and people miss it. DCT comes in and the manual is missed. Torque converter zed F comes in, people miss the DCT. I am going to order an M4 AWD when they are available. I GUARANTEE YOU if they change the grille you are going to hear "Oh it was so unique, back to boring BMW". I hope they do change it. I will keep the M4, watch its value go up and sell it for 4 times what it is worth to some yahoo with more money then sense.

Sales numbers are also subjective. How many 4 series has China sold so far? 2 door coupes are a very small market share. I have yet to see another one on the road and I am ok with that.
Appreciate 1
Vin077026.00
      04-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

While I personally believe the G80/G82 grill to be better than the G22 I still think the G22 will do really well. I think most of the hate naturally comes from people who wouldn't buy the car otherwise. So the negativity is what we end up seeing the most of in the comment sections on YouTube/Social media but who knows
Appreciate 1
Vin077026.00
      04-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people that bitch about that front grill are also those that couldn't afford to buy one anyway. It becomes an excuse. They end up in an Accord.
Appreciate 5
      04-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
GaryGK
Private
Rep
Drives: 1987 5.7l IROC-Z, 2021 M440i

Quote:

I picked up my new M440i two weeks ago and love the look of the car and everything about it. I live in Ottawa and haven't seen another one on the road yet, however, the dealership has sold a few. The new grill to me is a big step away from the old conservative grills, not that there was anything wrong with them, just the new grill to me at least has a more modern look. The pictures certainly don't do the grill justice, when seeing the car in person, it's no big deal and the car certainly gets a lot of looks.
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGK View Post
I picked up my new M440i two weeks ago and love the look of the car and everything about it. I live in Ottawa and haven't seen another one on the road yet, however, the dealership has sold a few. The new grill to me is a big step away from the old conservative grills, not that there was anything wrong with them, just the new grill to me at least has a more modern look. The pictures certainly don't do the grill justice, when seeing the car in person, it's no big deal and the car certainly gets a lot of looks.
Honestly, I felt that way about the M340i grill at first. Seeing it in person and also getting the blacked out version of it actually makes it look pretty slick. Now when I see a ubiquitous BMW kidney style grill I'm thinking how dated it looks. Lol. It definitely grabs a lot of attention because I think most people have actually never seen that grill. Don't mind that at all.
Appreciate 2
Vin077026.00
VetteGuy845.50
      04-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people that bitch about that front grill are also those that couldn't afford to buy one anyway. It becomes an excuse. They end up in an Accord.
This.

We will see how it ages, but there's no doubt that, if your BMW has that grill, you have the latest in BMW's current lineup.
Appreciate 2
Vin077026.00
TiMSport12792.50
      04-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
don't rely on your dream man, it's just an ugly turd.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I was looking at cars on the road today while I was at a red light (I managed to catch all the red lights on my 30 mile drive). Infinti, Lexus, Audi. They all have huge grills! And poor BMW gets a bad name because they decided to go the big grill way

Last edited by VipinLJ; 04-15-2021 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Vin077026.00
      04-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
GaryGK
Private
Rep
Drives: 1987 5.7l IROC-Z, 2021 M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I was looking at cars on the road today while I was at a red light (I managed to catch all the red lights on my 30 mile drive). Infinti, Lexus, Audi. They all have huge grills! And poor BMW gets a bad name because they decided to go the big grill way either
That's what I've been saying, a lot of other brands have huge grills, some much bigger the the BMW, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. The grill is perfect for the style of the front end of the car.
Appreciate 2
Vin077026.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I really don't give a rat's ass whether or not some anonymous internet troll or some Youtuber likes my 4 series or not. I love it, loved the grill from the very beginning...the black shawdowline grill looks substantially better in my opinion so I changed mine. And I also believe the M3 and M4 grills look even better.

In MY opinion, the 4 series is a great looking and driving car and I appreciate that BMW pushed the envelope on the design because I was getting tired of the generic 3 series look that hasn't substantially changed in many years.

I never like the new grill designs on 3 series all that much, and the most recent iterations are far from a thing of beauty. But that doesn't mean that I go out of way to call other people's cars ugly. Daily, someone posts pics of their tricked-out, loud-colored, lowered, overly-modified or completely generic-looking car. Good for them, enjoy. But the turds here who at every given chance troll the 4 series threads to whine about its looks either have an inferiority complex or are just stupid trolls you find on nearly every website.
Appreciate 5
Vin077026.00
VetteGuy845.50
chenry2355.50
GaryGK27.50
      04-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #13
Vin0770
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i xdrive

Garage List
2021 430ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
BMW...money then sense.

Sales numbers are also subjective. How many 4 series has China sold so far? 2 door coupes are a very small market share. I have yet to see another one on the road and I am ok with that.
Great comments and great looking ride you picked! That black with the shadowline front really is nice...yeh it’s just my subjective opinion but that’s the one I ordered to start this whole adventure. It’s funny that you said you didn’t love the front end and it’s grown on you...diddo! Now when I look at it I can’t imagine it not being there now. How would you like it if Michael Strahan fixed his gap...it wouldn’t be right

I love being unique and don’t mind at all not seeing any yet! I like it enough to put my hard earned money on it and really it all stops right there.

Don’t know about China because I don’t care that much but the website has the figures if you wanted to see how it’s doing around the world. I live in the US so my interest ended there.

Your other examples of transmission changes, etc. also ring true. Maybe we are creatures of habit and don’t like changes more than we would admit.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #14
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller155 View Post
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I really don't give a 's ass whether or not some anonymous internet troll or some Youtuber likes my 4 series or not. I love it, loved the grill from the very beginning...the black shawdowline grill looks substantially better in my opinion so I changed mine. And I also believe the M3 and M4 grills look even better.

In MY opinion, the 4 series is a great looking and driving and I appreciate that BMW pushed the envelope on the design because I was getting tired of the generic 3 series look that hasn't substantially changed in many years.

I never like the new grill designs on 3 series all that much, and the most recent iterations are far from a thing of beauty. But that doesn't mean that I go out of way to call other people's cars ugly. Daily, someone posts pics of their tricked-out, loud-colored, lowered, overly-modified or completely generic-looking . Good for them, enjoy. But the turds here who at every given chance troll the 4 series threads to whine about its looks either have an inferiority complex or are just stupid trolls you find on nearly every website.
you're entitled to have your own asshole.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #15
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
you're entitled to have your own asshole.
True, but that doesn't mean any of us want to see yours. Best to keep it in your pants and live your life.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
      04-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #16
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
don't rely on your dream man, it's just an ugly turd.
Huh? What's an ugly turd?
Appreciate 2
Vin077026.00
KoenG1426.50
      04-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #17
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

The working theory right now is that BMW put its BIG grill on many lower sales volume cars, mainly so they would actually get some attention and become a talking point. Every time I talk to my parents about cars, they make it a point to point out that they did not buy the latest model Lexus's because of their big and HIDEOUS spindle grill. But, whereas Lexus usually blends in to the crowd, instead, my parents noticed their design enough for it to sway their opinion towards BMW.

The key word here is "noticed".

Lexus created a conversation with their spindle grill. My opinion is that BMW is doing the same thing with their cars by enlarging their once elegant kidney grill design to be giant lungs.

People are noticing. This puts BMW in the conversation again... right beside Lexus.

However, BMW designers were smart; they only put the lungs on cars that are lower volume sales-wise. Thus, if the design is a total flop, it doesn't hurt them too much financially. They have wisely kept their kidney grill (which has grown as well) on the more mainstream models of the 3, 5, 7 and their regular SUVs. Thus, they will continue to sell large quantities of their inoffensive vehicles, while those that are a bit more daring will purchase the more "interesting" vehicles.

Seems like a pretty smart marketing move, if you ask me.
Appreciate 1
Vin077026.00
      04-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #18
finn1969
BMW Fan
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M40

Garage List
2023 BMW  [9.00]
2016 Z4 3.5I  [6.00]
Quote:
Huh? What's an ugly turd?
Aren't they technically "all ugly". I mean I never looked at one and said...wow that is a handsome turd.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
KoenG1426.50
      04-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #19
finn1969
BMW Fan
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M40

Garage List
2023 BMW  [9.00]
2016 Z4 3.5I  [6.00]
I love the size and looks of the G20. I also think the new 4 and M3/4 looks sick (meaning good). SO long as you like it and you are making the payments (or purchase) what the hell does it matter. You have a beautiful and fun car, thats a win all day long.
Appreciate 2
Vin077026.00
VetteGuy845.50
      04-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #20
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn1969 View Post
Aren't they technically "all ugly". I mean I never looked at one and said...wow that is a handsome turd.
I have. Especially after having some corn.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1426.50
      04-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #21
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I’ve seen four G22s on the streets recently, as well as a green G23, and a black G82. All looked amazing. I get so many compliments on my Arctic Race Blue G22 and love everything about it. And I’m an automotive dinosaur.
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12792.50
Vin077026.00
      04-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #22
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
The G22 actually looks good. For me, at least initially, it wasn't the grille but rather the removal of the hof kink and 'different' body lines that threw me off as the design didn't look like an evolution of the F32. The G22 is more revolutionary than evolutionary, intentionally designed that way, to be different and to stand out.

Most people love the new grille, the haters are most likely butt hurt F32 owners who will eventually come around.
Appreciate 0