Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Power Tailgate is one of the best options!

04-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #23
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn1969 View Post
I have the button / foot open option, but don't think I can close that way. Still a manual close which is okay with me.
Are you sure the correct settings are configured? I forget the exact path but basically there's a setting for opening tailgate handsfree and one for closing, so you can choose to have it work for one but not the other.
Where is the setting? I never seen it anywhere on iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #24
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
It's there in the general settings of your car. A subfolder under vehicle doors/access -> tailgate. You can check or uncheck the boxes for being able to either open or close the tailgate with your foot. I've got both boxes checked. I don't see why anyone would disable the ability to close the trunk with your foot.

Having said that, I want to disable the beeping sound it makes when closing it with your foot. It doesn't do that on any other method of closing it except for using with your foot. I find that odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #25
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
It's there in the general settings of your car. A subfolder under vehicle doors/access -> tailgate. You can check or uncheck the boxes for being able to either open or close the tailgate with your foot. I've got both boxes checked. I don't see why anyone would disable the ability to close the trunk with your foot.

Having said that, I want to disable the beeping sound it makes when closing it with your foot. It doesn't do that on any other method of closing it except for using with your foot. I find that odd.
Most likely the reason is that one can accidentally close the door with the foot and they are trying to avoid liability if someone is injured that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #26
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Under door/access I have no subfolder for tailgate, just checked. If I have the ability to kick under the bumper and the trunk opens, I have the tailgate right? Car is 2019.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #27
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:
Under door/access I have no subfolder for tailgate, just checked. If I have the ability to kick under the bumper and the trunk opens, I have the tailgate right? Car is 2019.
If you have comfort access without power tail gate then you will be able to kick open or open using the button inside the driver's door or open using the car key.

But to open and close using the kick and the button in the drivers door or using the remote key, then you should have the Power tail gate equipped in your vehicle. Do you see a trunk close button and lock button on your trunk when it is opened?
Appreciate 1
premier3is1630.00
      04-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #28
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Most likely the reason is that one can accidentally close the door with the foot and they are trying to avoid liability if someone is injured that way.
Yeah, that's probably true and makes sense I suppose. I still don't like it, lol. It's pretty loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #29
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Do you have your car's build sheet? I would imagine it would list the "Power Tailgate" option if you have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #30
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that's probably true and makes sense I suppose. I still don't like it, lol. It's pretty loud.
A quiet mode in general would be nice. Something so on a configurable schedule (i.e. between x and y hours) the audible blips aren't enabled and the lights are dimmed etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #31
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Quote:
If you have comfort access without power tail gate then you will be able to kick open or open using the button inside the driver's door or open using the car key.

But to open and close using the kick and the button in the drivers door or using the remote key, then you should have the Power tail gate equipped in your vehicle. Do you see a trunk close button and lock button on your trunk when it is opened?
Sounds like I have just the comfort access without power tail gate. I can only kick it open. Also, no trunk close button either inside trunk.

This makes sense, thanks for the explanation to confirm for me!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #32
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have your car's build sheet? I would imagine it would list the "Power Tailgate" option if you have it.
Yea looks like no power tail gate. Can just kick it open lol, not close.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #33
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
A quiet mode in general would be nice. Something so on a configurable schedule (i.e. between x and y hours) the audible blips aren't enabled and the lights are dimmed etc.
Haha, that's an idea. I'll bet someone at BMW that would be tasked with such programming wouldn't be happy with it though. They'll be like "WTH, just don't use it then!"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #34
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yea looks like no power tail gate. Can just kick it open lol, not close.
Yep, just saw your other response to Bimmer006 about not having the close button inside your trunk. Didn't think about that one but that's probably the quickest confirmation!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #35
myM340
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Not by default, but it can be coded via Bimmercode in expert mode.
Thanks for the info - I'll look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Yes, you can close it by remote assuming you have the power tailgate option. You can open and close it by remote or foot movement under the rear bumper. I actually didn't know it could be closed by the switch on the drivers side. For some reason I only thought it could be opened like a normal trunk open switch, lol.

The moral to the story is.... GET THIS OPTION.
Hmm..I'm assuming you've closed your trunk with your remote then? If so, what remote combo are you using?(Press and hold, Double press and hold, etc..) I just tried it and nothing happens. I also looked through the menus and didn't find any options for that. If I have to code it in then I'll most likely do it because it would really come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #36
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myM340 View Post
Thanks for the info - I'll look into this.

Hmm..I'm assuming you've closed your trunk with your remote then? If so, what remote combo are you using?(Press and hold, Double press and hold, etc..) I just tried it and nothing happens. I also looked through the menus and didn't find any options for that. If I have to code it in then I'll most likely do it because it would really come in handy.
That was TiMSport who said the last thing you quoted. Tagging him as I'm curious if he's achieving this without coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #37
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

It's a simple press and hold. No coding is required.
Seems like it's different in the US spec.
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 04-20-2021 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #38
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Okay so I discovered a couple of things about the power tailgate in my car. I cannot close it by using the button on the driver's side door. It only opens it. I also cannot close it with the remote which I find mildly annoying. I had never tried to do that until now. The only way that I can close it is by waving my foot under the rear bumper or pressing the trunk button on the trunk itself. I can open the trunk through several methods however.

Does anyone else have this same scenario?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #39
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Okay so I discovered a couple of things about the power tailgate in my car. I cannot close it by using the button on the driver's side door. It only opens it. I also cannot close it with the remote which I find mildly annoying. I had never tried to do that until now. The only way that I can close it is by waving my foot under the rear bumper or pressing the trunk button on the trunk itself. I can open the trunk through several methods however.

Does anyone else have this same scenario?
For me, the driver's side door button will open the boot (trunk) when pushed in briefly, and will close the boot when the button is held upwards towards me, as per the previous comment akin to how windows are operated. It's not something I coded either - I can also open/close using my foot and it closes via the button on the boot lid too.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #40
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
For me, the driver's side door button will open the boot (trunk) when pushed in briefly, and will close the boot when the button is held upwards towards me, as per the previous comment akin to how windows are operated. It's not something I coded either - I can also open/close using my foot and it closes via the button on the boot lid too.
Interesting. I tried to pull the trunk lid lever on the driver's side door like someone mentioned and it doesn't do anything except make a noise. Can you close the trunk using your remote?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #41
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It must be the US spec vs Europe spec thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #42
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
It must be the US spec vs Europe spec thing.
Maybe. Can you guys actually close the boot using your key fob?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #43
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe. Can you guys actually close the boot using your key fob?
Yes. Using key fob, button on the door, button inside the boot or foot movement.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #44
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Yes. Using key fob, button on the door, button inside the trunk lid or foot movement.
I'm envious! I still can't comprehend why I can't do that with my setup. I thought I read someone on this thread here in the US could close the boot from the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0