Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Indicator Repeating Sound Level

04-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Indicator Repeating Sound Level

Has anyone noticed that the sound of the indicator repeater seems to quieten when coming to a standstill (almost to the point of being annoyingly quiet)? I can’t find any reference to this in the manual though.

Last edited by NthKent; 04-25-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Has anyone noticed that the sound of the indicator repeater seems to quieten when driving around at slower speeds (almost to the point of being annoyingly quiet)? I can’t find any reference to this in the manual though.
Hmm I have not noticed that with my car. Now I'll be paying closer attention though, lol.

What I HAVE noticed is the blinker lever in the M340i is extremely stiff compared to any other car I've owned or driven. What I mean by being stiff is the up and down motion when manually using the blinker (I know, BMW drivers don't do that).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

It is stiff on purpose to allow assisted line change in a car with DAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
skylinebmwm5
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

It's a BMW, the blinker lever is just a decoration, not supposed to be used
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12786.50
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
It is stiff on purpose to allow assisted line change in a car with DAP.
Really? I hadn't heard that. I'm not a fan of it being that stiff in any case. If you manually use it and want to discontinue the blinking and try to return the lever to its neutral position, it's easy to go too far and inadvertently trigger the blinker motioning towards the opposite direction. It took a bit of getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Really? I hadn't heard that. I'm not a fan of it being that stiff in any case. If you manually use it and want to discontinue the blinking and try to return the lever to its neutral position, it's easy to go too far and inadvertently trigger the blinker motioning towards the opposite direction. It took a bit of getting used to.
Not sure whether you were aware of this or not, the Blinker lever in G20 is something new. This is not an usual Blinker lever in the previous generations. They have just changed that from G20.

I like the previous version of Blinker lever, as for an easy/quick switch lane, there used to be a softer touch (you don't have to pass the resistance point).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #7
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Not sure whether you were aware of this or not, the Blinker lever in G20 is something new. This is not an usual Blinker lever in the previous generations. They have just changed that from G20.

I like the previous version of Blinker lever, as for an easy/quick switch lane, there used to be a softer touch (you don't have to pass the resistance point).
That's interesting. I can't compare since this is the first BMW I've owned for quite a few years. All I know is that it feels completely different than the ones I'm accustomed to, regardless of make/model. To be clear, I do know that it has the ability to blink 3 times after a light nudge which is pretty common nowadays. Not sure if you're referring to that. But if you do go past the resistance point, it's very rigid which I'm not a fan of.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting. I can't compare since this is the first BMW I've owned for quite a few years. All I know is that it feels completely different than the ones I'm accustomed to, regardless of make/model. To be clear, I do know that it has the ability to blink 3 times after a light nudge which is pretty common nowadays. Not sure if you're referring to that. But if you do go past the resistance point, it's very rigid which I'm not a fan of.
Yes both the light nudge and past the resistance point behavior in G20 is different than F30. I'm getting used to now with G20, but still I liked the way in F30. If you get a chance to test any F30 or any earlier version of any BMW's then you will know the difference.

Edit: Here is one of the thread shows someone installed the F30 turn signal stalk in G20. I believe this is how BMW turn signal stalks used to be until F30. Now in G20, it lost it's originality.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758014

Last edited by Bimmer006; 04-22-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      04-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes both the light nudge and past the resistance point behavior in G20 is different than F30. I'm getting used to now with G20, but still I liked the way in F30. If you get a chance to test any F30 or any earlier version of any BMW's then you will know the difference.

Edit: Here is one of the thread shows someone installed the F30 turn signal stalk in G20. I believe this is how BMW turn signal stalks used to be until F30. Now in G20, it lost it's originality.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758014
I just learned after reading a bit of that thread that you can tap it to the same side to cancel the blinking. I'll have to try that next time I'm in the car. If so, that's better. Thanks. I still think this new blinker (new for me) is odd, lol.

Oh I didn't know about the auto function button for the wipers. I don't think I've had that before so didn't even notice it. Actually I haven't needed the wipers since I took delivery almost 2 weeks ago! Been lucky with the weather here.

Last edited by TiMSport; 04-22-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just learned after reading a bit of that thread that you can tap it to the same side to cancel the blinking. I'll have to try that next time I'm in the car. If so, that's better. Thanks. I still think this new blinker (new for me) is odd, lol.

Oh I didn't know about the auto function button for the wipers. I don't think I've had that before so didn't even notice it. Actually I haven't needed the wipers since I took delivery almost 2 weeks ago! Been lucky with the weather here.
Quote:
tap it to the same side to cancel the blinking
This feature is for the old stalk, I don't think you can test this in G20 stalk. But yes the new blinker is odd

For the wipers auto function yes in F30 and older there used to be a button, but now it's built in to the stalk (I don't like this as well). Believe it or not, in the past 5 months I still haven't used my wipers at all Most likely I haven't been outside with this car when it snows or rained.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
This feature is for the old stalk, I don't think you can test this in G20 stalk. But yes the new blinker is odd
Ahh man, just when I thought there was a positive about the new stalk! I guess I still dislike it just as much then.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #12
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ahh man, just when I thought there was a positive about the new stalk! I guess I still dislike it just as much then.
ha ha I can feel it But it's not all bad, just enjoy the good stuff in this G20
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

After yeas of "return to neutral" directionals, it took some getting used to having "ordinary" directionals again. At least if anybody else drives my car, it's one less thing to explain.

The wipers though, I prefer the old button that you had to reinstate every time you shut it off, but could also single swipe without interrupting your setting.

On my G05, with the same set up as this car, I forgot they were still in the rain sensor position from the last time it rained and I went through a car wash (it was winter) They both flew off and got mangled when the foam triggered them and they got caught in those slappy things. Of course my dealer didn't have them in stock so I had to drive 20 miles with my wipers in the service position
TiMSport12786.50
      04-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #14
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

And OP, I paid attention today, my '21 G22 doesn't change the sound of the signals with the speed.

Funny aside though, I was going to order this car like I usually do but my dealer had 3 to chose from that were very close to what I was going to order. The first one I test drove had a horrible sounding signal and I thought "if this is how they are, I don't think I want this car", it was that bad. The other two sounded much better, like a car should.
      04-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #15
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
And OP, I paid attention today, my '21 G22 doesn't change the sound of the signals with the speed.

Funny aside though, I was going to order this car like I usually do but my dealer had 3 to chose from that were very close to what I was going to order. The first one I test drove had a horrible sounding signal and I thought "if this is how they are, I don't think I want this car", it was that bad. The other two sounded much better, like a car should.
Really? What a trip. I wonder why on earth one car here in the same market would be different than another for something so trivial.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #16
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Really? What a trip. I wonder why on earth one car here in the same market would be different than another for something so trivial.
It was bizarre. It reminded me of when cars used to have a flasher unit dangling from the wires and they would sometimes vibrate against something. I hope BMW didn't go back to that too
Attached Images

04-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #17
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

Quote:
When you drive in assisted driving mode (car mast have DAP package) blinker stalk have 3 functions:
1. Gentle tap will blink 3 times
2. Pushing beyond resistance will activate permanent blinking, (to stop simply push in the same direction).
3. Push for at least 1 second against resistance point without going over, car will execute line change autonomously, and this is why increased stiffness is by design.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #18
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
When you drive in assisted driving mode (car mast have DAP package) blinker stalk have 3 functions:
1. Gentle tap will blink 3 times
2. Pushing beyond resistance will activate permanent blinking, (to stop simply push in the same direction).
3. Push for at least 1 second against resistance point without going over, car will execute line change autonomously, and this is why increased stiffness is by design.
Thanks. Since I don't have the DAP, it's not as appealing to me with this newer blinker. To be clear I don't think I have actually mistakenly activated the opposite direction blinkers when canceling the blinkers for the direction I intended, BUT it's too rigid for my liking and I can see that easily occurring. If I could execute step #2 above as you described, that would make it better, but I cannot.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
The blinker volume does indeed vary to different sound levels, based on the speed of the vehicle but this can be altered via coding.

Also, the turn signal stalk did physically and mechanically change recently on the newer model BMWs but can be retrofitted back to the previous, one-touch design - if one so chooses to go down that route.

Successfully retrofitted steering column stalks that returns to 0-position/center https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758014
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #20
RedRaider1
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Sport

Quote:

I think you’re referring to the turn signal stalk returning to the center/neutral position on the E9x and most (I think) of the F3x’s. Actually that was the “new” feature introduced with the E9x. Prior to that the BMW turn signal stalk operated in the traditional way of staying in position until the turn was executed.

I just picked up a 2018 340i and somewhat surprisingly to me the turn signal stalk operates in the traditional way, not returning to the center position immediately after activating the signal.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #21
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Since I don't have the DAP, it's not as appealing to me with this newer blinker. To be clear I don't think I have actually mistakenly activated the opposite direction blinkers when canceling the blinkers for the direction I intended, BUT it's too rigid for my liking and I can see that easily occurring. If I could execute step #2 above as you described, that would make it better, but I cannot.
Actually upon confirming my specs I realized that I do in fact have DAP (Driving Assistance Package aka ZDA) in my car. However, I don't think I can carry out the action as described in #2 (Pushing beyond resistance will activate permanent blinking, (to stop simply push in the same direction), specifically pushing the stalk once again to end the blinking.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #22
awschubert
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
The blinker volume does indeed vary to different sound levels, based on the speed of the vehicle but this can be altered via coding.

Also, the turn signal stalk did physically and mechanically change recently on the newer model BMWs but can be retrofitted back to the previous, one-touch design - if one so chooses to go down that route.

Successfully retrofitted steering column stalks that returns to 0-position/center https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758014
Any idea what values to lower the sound?
Appreciate 0