Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e UK questions

10-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #45
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Picked up a 330e today for the day before I get mine in a few weeks.

Using the supplied 3 pin connector the charge time says around 10 hours? I know it's slower using a 3 pin domestic but that seems a little excessive?
There is an option in the iDrive (under Car->Settings) to set how much charge it pulls, make sure it hasn't been dropped down (I think 6 Amps is the lowest setting)

Mine takes about 5 hours to fully charge on the 3-pin and 3.5 on the rapid (-ish!) charger.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17424.50
-Nick82.50
      10-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
There is an option in the iDrive (under Car->Settings) to set how much charge it pulls, make sure it hasn't been dropped down (I think 6 Amps is the lowest setting)

Mine takes about 5 hours to fully charge on the 3-pin and 3.5 on the rapid (-ish!) charger.
There we go.. I knew it would be something stupid! Took me a while to find the setting but now it's pulling 10A using the 3 pin plug!

Must admit the Connected Drive app is impressive!
Appreciate 1
tricky6239.50
      10-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #47
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There we go.. I knew it would be something stupid! Took me a while to find the setting but now it's pulling 10A using the 3 pin plug!

Must admit the Connected Drive app is impressive!
Sorry, my instructions might have been a bit off, it's in Car->Charge settings isn't it... Glad it's charging a bit quicker now :-)

Connected Drive app is great when it works but it does seem to partially disconnect from time to time, once for 24 hours+. I could still remote lock/unlock but couldn't see location or charge state.

And the Connected Drive website Remote Cockpit->Efficiency tab doesn't update with any of my driving stats. Will query when it's at the dealer next week to get this damn brake fluid error sorted...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #48
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anybody notice strange behaviour sometimes when braking approaching a junction? I almost felt like I had to brake harder sometimes? It's a strange sensation I can't quite explain it?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #49
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anybody notice strange behaviour sometimes when braking approaching a junction? I almost felt like I had to brake harder sometimes? It's a strange sensation I can't quite explain it?
Yes, if you've got Sat Nav enabled or it spots something substantially slower in front then it will often automatically apply the regen brakes gently on approach. Sometimes I've found it gets things wrong and applies the regen brakes, then you go to apply a bit more brake and it stops applying regen braking and you get a jerk as the car stops slowing down so much, then you have to put on more braking making it jerk again. Haven't quite got to the bottom of exactly when but there is definitely something a bit odd at times...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #50
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Yes I feel exactly that aswell
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:42 AM   #51
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if you've got Sat Nav enabled or it spots something substantially slower in front then it will often automatically apply the regen brakes gently on approach. Sometimes I've found it gets things wrong and applies the regen brakes, then you go to apply a bit more brake and it stops applying regen braking and you get a jerk as the car stops slowing down so much, then you have to put on more braking making it jerk again. Haven't quite got to the bottom of exactly when but there is definitely something a bit odd at times...
I experienced this on the way back to the dealer this morning. I was in Xtraboost mode and I couldn't decide whether the gear changing down as I approached a junction caused the jerk.. But it makes sense that it's jerking from when it stops applying regen braking as you manually brake.

However the fact you have to put your foot down hard to come to a standstill is a bit strange. Almost the same feeling as when your brake pads are a little low!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #52
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I experienced this on the way back to the dealer this morning. I was in Xtraboost mode and I couldn't decide whether the gear changing down as I approached a junction caused the jerk.. But it makes sense that it's jerking from when it stops applying regen braking as you manually brake.

However the fact you have to put your foot down hard to come to a standstill is a bit strange. Almost the same feeling as when your brake pads are a little low!
Xtraboost is very sensitive to throttle movements. Try Eco Pro and it's a lot smoother, but still not perfect.

I also get the odd jerk from the gearbox at times when slowing down/changing down. It's almost like the regen/actual brakes/gearbox aren't quite in sync.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #53
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I noticed today that my spec includes high gloss shadow line exterior trim, I assume this is the grill surround and exhaust tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #54
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
I noticed today that my spec includes high gloss shadow line exterior trim, I assume this is the grill surround and exhaust tips?
Default is window surrounds and mirror surrounds.

I think on an MSport Plus it's worded as extended High Gloss or something. This then includes kidney surrounds.
      10-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #55
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Default is window surrounds and mirror surrounds.

I think on an MSport Plus it's worded as extended High Gloss or something. This then includes kidney surrounds.
Ok thanks, just an msport, no + so no kidney grill surround in black, just chrome?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #56
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Yep... black kidney grill with chrome surround

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #57
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Why aren’t there any real drive reviews in the UK yet
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #58
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Why aren’t there any real drive reviews in the UK yet
Yeah I noticed that. As in, "I've run it for a month and this is what I've found..."

So, would folks pay me £500 each if I sat there for a night and wrote one in detail? ;-)

To this end and a bit completely off topic but this is my car history, I think I've got a "bit" of experience: ;-)

1998 Rover 216SE (sorry, it was my Uni car, pile of ol' s**t but it had electric windows, central locking, a sunroof, 6 speaker stereo and fake plastic wood trim) - 2nd hand, pain in the arse car
1994 BMW 318i SE - new, got side swiped 2 weeks after delivery. Spent 1/3rd of my salary paying for it but lived at home ;-)
1993 Porsche 968 Coupe Luxury - 2nd hand (insurance cost me £3500/year!?) Doh but by that point I'd gone contracting so it wasn't a biggie. Got stolen and was involved in a high speed Police chase, crashed and burned out :-(
1997 Peugeot 306 GTi-6 - new (company car) Got a 6 month speeding ban on this bad boy. Went to live in Germany and Australia.
1998 VW Golf GTi Turbo - new (company car) Slow and rolly.
1999 Audi S3 - new (company car) Great car but broke it, a lot.
2003 BMW M3 (manual) - new - only had a it a year, too many license points.
2004 Merc 270CDi Sport Auto - new (company car) - most unreliable car I've ever had.
1990 Merc 560 SEC (weekend classic, ABS, traction control, electric memory seats & sunroof, rear electric blind, bloody quick - just not round corners, should never have sold it)
2006 BMW 330d M Sport (manual) - new - very quick but very bumpy ride.
2008 Merc CLS 320CDi (with Brabus chip) - new - quick and not bumpy.
2011 Peugeot 508 SW (163PS auto) - 2nd hand - not a bad family car for the money we had to spend
2015 Mercedes 300h AMG Premium Plus - new (company car) - lots of reliability problems. Electric motor was feeble.
2016 Ford Mondeo Titanium TDCi (210BHP) - 2nd hand - a serious alternative to the German's. Quick, quiet, comfortable, reliable and economical. Loads of space. Build quality a bit iffy in places, bad depreciation (lost £8k in 2 years, aside from running costs).
2019 BMW 330e M Sport Plus - new (company car)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:02 AM   #59
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Just look at the UK section of Bimmerpost! Incredible take up rate for the ThreeThirtyeeee I count about 15 threads and it's by far the dominant model ordered.

Amazing how things change, I feel BMW have absolutely nailed the PHEV section 330e, 530e and X5 45e are all priced very very aggressively in the respective fields. This is how BMW should have followed up the initial hype of the i3 and i8 launch. All that momentum was lost but it looks like it's back with a bang now.

Congratulation to all the new 330e owners and orders. Don't hold back on updates, range comments and general feedback please. We are all watching and it's hugely useful.

Time for the 330e to have its own thread section
      10-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #60
Warrior54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Does any know if Apple CarPlay will only work via the wireless charger or will it also function via usb?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #61
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior54 View Post
Does any know if Apple CarPlay will only work via the wireless charger or will it also function via usb?
It works wirelessly (no wireless charging pad involved)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #62
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
Quote:
It works wirelessly (no wireless charging pad involved)
Yep, CarPlay doesn't function via USB at all. I think it used to be quite unstable but I've had no issues with mine, apart from sometimes it connects to my work phone before my iPhone (despite setting the iPhone as priority) and hence CarPlay isn't active until I force a connect.

Wireless charge pad is charge only, I don't have this option but basically use the USB-C socket under the arm rest for charging. Or you can set iDrive to view the iPhone as an iPod and not activate CarPlay. Providing it's connected via USB it then appears as an audio source in Media.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #63
Warrior54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

I have come across type 2 cables 1 or 3 phase. Which one should I be going for?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have come across type 2 cables 1 or 3 phase. Which one should I be going for?
What power supply do you have at home (or wherever you want to charge)?
      12-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #65
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
What power supply do you have at home (or wherever you want to charge)?
The power supply does not matter, the 330e can only take up to 16 A (3,7 kW) from single phase so single phase cable is enough. 3-phase cable is typically more expensive and less flexible & more cumbersome to store/handle. The only reason to buy a thicker 3-phase cable futureproofness; if one expects to charge some other car with 2 or 3 phase charger in the future.
Appreciate 0