Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e Charge Time ?

10-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
alslive
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

330e Charge Time ?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how long it takes to fully charge the battery from a normal 3 pin domestic plug ?

Just looking at Electricity tariffs and it is only 5p per kWh between 00:30 and 04:30.

Just trying to project yearly costs and standing charges for use at home.

Still looking into a wall charger

Any advice appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

BMW says the 330e's battery can be fully replenished in just under five and a half hours from a domestic, three-pin socket. That time will come down further if you use a public charging point or 7kW home wallbox charger, which will charge the 12kW battery in just under two and a half hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
alslive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
BMW says the 330e's battery can be fully replenished in just under five and a half hours from a domestic, three-pin socket. That time will come down further if you use a public charging point or 7kW home wallbox charger, which will charge the 12kW battery in just under two and a half hours.
Thanks for the info Blackers. 👍🏻
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by alslive View Post
Quote:
Just bear in mind that the 330e will only take a 3.6Kw charge so although you can use higher power chargers you don't really benefit from them. We got a 7KW home charger installed as a future proof measure. It still takes about 3.5 hrs to fully charge using that.

If you're looking to move electricity provider we use Octopus Energy's EV tariff. There is a "recommend a friend" scheme which gives both of us £50 credit. Use this link...

https://share.octopus.energy/nice-gale-893

On the wall charger side I went with BP ChargeMaster in the end, cost about £450 for a socket unit, rather than tethered (inclusive of the Government grant). They were easy enough to deal with and did a good job of the installation but their mobile app is a bit rubbish. It can't cope with peak/off-peak rates, doesn't calculate the actual energy used properly (in the summary tab) and doesn't remember your password. 2/10 at best...

Basically I had some poor customer experience with some of the smaller players (taking weeks to answer basic sales queries, phone ringing for 5+ minutes before being answered etc.) which made me worry what they'd be like for installation and subsequent customer service. I've only called ChargeMaster once since installation and got through to someone helpful without any trouble. Just fix the damn app guys!? ;-)
Appreciate 3
alslive10.50
JustChris17427.50
      10-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
alslive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alslive View Post
Quote:
Just bear in mind that the 330e will only take a 3.6Kw charge so although you can use higher power chargers you don't really benefit from them. We got a 7KW home charger installed as a future proof measure. It still takes about 3.5 hrs to fully charge using that.

If you're looking to move electricity provider we use Octopus Energy's EV tariff. There is a "recommend a friend" scheme which gives both of us £50 credit. Use this link...

On the wall charger side I went with BP ChargeMaster in the end, cost about £450 for a socket unit, rather than tethered (inclusive of the Government grant). They were easy enough to deal with and did a good job of the installation but their mobile app is a bit rubbish. It can't cope with peak/off-peak rates, doesn't calculate the actual energy used properly (in the summary tab) and doesn't remember your password. 2/10 at best...

Basically I had some poor customer experience with some of the smaller players (taking weeks to answer basic sales queries, phone ringing for 5+ minutes before being answered etc.) which made me worry what they'd be like for installation and subsequent customer service. I've only called ChargeMaster once since installation and got through to someone helpful without any trouble. Just fix the damn app guys!? ;-)
Thanks Tricky,

My current tariff ends in November, and I have looked at octopus amongst others... they seem quite competitive and the £0.05p kWh in the early hours seems a very good price for EV charging.

If I do indeed go with Octopus, I'll definitely use the RAF link above.

Appreciate everyone's info 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Ipoipo
Rep
Drives: G20 e

In my case I have the BMW Wallbox for charging but I want to charge at a lower rate than 16 AMPs ( 3.6KW). I have cheap electricity from 1 to 7 am so charging at 9 AMPs would be enough and I wouldn't need to rise the power of my house.
The thing is that I select 9 AMPs in the car as maximum charge power but it doesn't do it, it charge at 16 Amps. Any help? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoipo View Post
In my case I have the BMW Wallbox for charging but I want to charge at a lower rate than 16 AMPs ( 3.6KW). I have cheap electricity from 1 to 7 am so charging at 9 AMPs would be enough and I wouldn't need to rise the power of my house.
The thing is that I select 9 AMPs in the car as maximum charge power but it doesn't do it, it charge at 16 Amps. Any help? thanks
I think that just works on the 3-pin charger you get with the car. To mitigate against power supplies that can't take a high load.

If you've got a proper wall charger why would you want to charge at anything other than the max load, it should be installed to take the full 16A.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Ipoipo
Rep

Quote:
I think that just works on the 3-pin charger you get with the car. To mitigate against power supplies that can't take a high load.

If you've got a proper wall charger why would you want to charge at anything other than the max load, it should be installed to take the full 16A.
Thankyou, that's probably the answer. I didn't think that with that with the 3 pin sucko plug would have more options than with the intelligent Type 2 connection.

The main reason I want to charge at low power is to keep the power of the whole house low and pay less for my bill. If I increase from 4 KW to 5,5 KW I´ll pay 15€ more every month for a power I don't really need. Charging at 10 Amps is enough for charging the whole 12KW/H battery in the 6 cheap night hours when only the car is using energy.

Last edited by Ipoipo; 12-14-2019 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

But it just takes longer and still uses the same amount of energy??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoipo View Post
I've not got the 330e, but the User Manual clearly states it can be set to lower values.

Quote:
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Plan charg./climate"
3. Tilt the Controller to the right.
4. "Settings"
5. "Standard charging"
6. "Current limit"
7. Select the desired setting.

The setting is saved. When changing the charging
location, change the setting accordingly.
Is that procedure not working?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Appears to me the comment indicates there is a limit to amperage draw, for a cheaper tariff.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Ipoipo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've not got the 330e, but the User Manual clearly states it can be set to lower values.

Is that procedure not working?
Doesn't work using a Wallbox. Probably works only for the normal sockets with cable that comes with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Appears to me the comment indicates there is a limit to amperage draw, for a cheaper tariff.
Thats it. At least here, Spain, the for Kw you ask for, the more you pay, and with a 12kw/h battery there's no need.

Quote:
Same Kw/h in the end yes, but 10 Amps less kw instantly, so I don't have to rise the Power of the house.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
WorcesterMan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Tricky6, I have had a 330e for a while, and I have just had a smart meter installed and switched to the Octopus Go tariff. Have you figured how the timer on the car works? I typically leave home around 6-7AM and use preconditioning. I have set the off peak time on the car from 12.30 until whenever. But it seems to delay the start of charging, so it charges from around 4am to be fully charged by my departure time. If I set the departure time earlier (0430) then the preconditioning is 2 hours too early and the windscreen refreezes. Have you found a work-around?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #14
liontamerlou
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorcesterMan View Post
Tricky6, I have had a 330e for a while, and I have just had a smart meter installed and switched to the Octopus Go tariff. Have you figured how the timer on the car works? I typically leave home around 6-7AM and use preconditioning. I have set the off peak time on the car from 12.30 until whenever. But it seems to delay the start of charging, so it charges from around 4am to be fully charged by my departure time. If I set the departure time earlier (0430) then the preconditioning is 2 hours too early and the windscreen refreezes. Have you found a work-around?
How are you finding the Octopus Go Tarrif? I've just switched Octopus Energy for that tariff. Octopus seem pretty good so far though their customer service has been good.

I see someone else posted a referral link, here's mine if someone want's £50 credit for switching they appllied mine pretty quickly https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-rhino-720. You can also sign up via this website too https://www.octopusenergyreferral.co/50-credit. Happy saving!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:30 AM   #15
Jcmccracks
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Hi all, my first ever post in a forum of any sort, so please don't jump all over me if I've put this in the wrong place etc!
So - when charging from the 3 pin plug I change the charge settings to 10amps (I've got a dedicated circuit capable of handling this, no problems there), but next time I charge it's always defaulted back to 6amps.
Is this usual for everyone else?
So every day when I charge, I have to remember to manually go into the settings in the car and change to 10amps again!
I guess it must be a safety thing but seems crazy to have to remember manual operations like this on a car that wants to automate as much as it can for you....
I was planning to have a proper charger installed at some point in future - will it be the same situation then?
Needless to say I forget to change it most days and only remember when I check the app and see I've got hours still left until fully charged!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #16
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not for me - it stays where it is for me. Although a software update on iDrive has reset it once or twice
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Is it true if you don't charge it from the wall box or plug once a week it throws some errors?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #18
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Is it true if you don't charge it from the wall box or plug once a week it throws some errors?
Haven’t noticed this. I usually charge my car 3-5 times a week right enough - but there have been prolonged periods of a couple of weeks here and there where I haven’t and I’ve never had any errors.

What are you seeing?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haven’t noticed this. I usually charge my car 3-5 times a week right enough - but there have been prolonged periods of a couple of weeks here and there where I haven’t and I’ve never had any errors.

What are you seeing?
My chauffeur saw it on his 530e. So he was telling me about it. I was thinking of a 330e for myself but think a 320d might do me.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #20
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:

I used Pod-Point for my wall unit. Like others went for 7kW for future proof. They were very good and seems to work fine. App is OK and can take different tariffs (I have economy 7).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #21
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My chauffeur saw it on his 530e. So he was telling me about it. I was thinking of a 330e for myself but think a 320d might do me.
Your chauffeur?! I'd be going for something slightly better than a 3 series if I could afford a chauffeur
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #22
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your chauffeur?! I'd be going for something slightly better than a 3 series if I could afford a chauffeur
He comes with the company so we only meet when he is taking me to the airport. Private wise he costs $250 per hour even if he is required to wait the meter is running! Otherwise, I'm on my own. I went for a 320d in the end.
Appreciate 0