Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Is still a HDD in our car??? (2020 models???) Shame!

10-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
neukrisz
Just a BMW fan
Hungary
Rep
Drives: MY2020 G20 320i M-Sport

Is still a HDD in our car??? (2020 models???) Shame!

Today I've made few attempts to restart the iDrive 7 in my car and I've heard "strange" HDD spinning/head positioning noises from the car. No doubt, it was a HDD (which was the weakest and most problematic hardware in my previous F30's iDrive)
I think this is a shame to use HDD instead of SSD in a 2020 year model especially in a moving vehicle (not too professional automotive engineering)
Luckily I paid extra for the 5 yrs warranty.

Last edited by neukrisz; 10-11-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I, too, heard the distinctive chattering of a hard disk drive on my G20. Like you, I was surprised that a new platform vehicle was so-equipped. The main advantage a HDD has over an SSD is the theoretical maximum number of write cycles and, likely more importantly, a lower price per unit. I wouldn't worry too much about the durability, however. HDD Drives have been used for years in products and shown to be generally reliable despite the physical movement they require.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
neukrisz
Just a BMW fan
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
... The main advantage a HDD has over an SSD is the theoretical maximum number of write cycles and, likely more importantly, a lower price per unit. I wouldn't worry too much about the durability, however. HDD Drives have been used for years in products and shown to be generally reliable despite the physical movement they require.
I had many times problems in my both ex F30 (2013, 2016) internal HDDs in the iDrive. Sometimes just clicks and doesn't booting and I drove without Navi - or freezing the iDrive during driving.
In practice I'm as IT expert and electric engineer and I know very well that shouldn't consign important data for a single HDD. I guess this is a 2.5" mobile HDD which has really limited lifetime and low reliability rate in the reality especially in a moving car. We in the industry don't use any HDD long years ago. I think this is just a petty cost saving by the BMW which can cause lot of headaches for us in the future

Last edited by neukrisz; 10-11-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neukrisz View Post
Quote:
... The main advantage a HDD has over an SSD is the theoretical maximum number of write cycles and, likely more importantly, a lower price per unit. I wouldn't worry too much about the durability, however. HDD Drives have been used for years in products and shown to be generally reliable despite the physical movement they require.
I had many times problems in my both ex F30 (2013, 2016) internal HDDs in the iDrive. Sometimes just clicks and doesn't booting and I drove without Navi - or freezing the iDrive during driving.
In practice I'm as IT expert and electric engineer and I know very well that shouldn't consign important data for a single HDD. I guess this is a 2.5" mobile HDD which has really limited lifetime and low reliability rate in the reality especially in a moving car. We in the industry don't use any HDD long years ago. I think this is just a petty cost saving by the BMW which can cause lot of headaches for us in the future
You could always remove it and re-image it to a new ssd replacement if it's a huge concern

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neukrisz View Post
Quote:
You could always remove it and re-image it to a new ssd replacement if it's a huge concern
Yeah, good luck doing that in an iDrive7 unit. Was difficult enough in iDrive6. BMW has these harddisks firmware locked.
      10-14-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
neukrisz
Just a BMW fan
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
... BMW has these harddisks firmware locked.
I also think so
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2023, 03:55 AM   #7
KoolioDaddio
Beemer owner/driver for 25years
Rep
Drives: M340i (G20)

I am yet to discover if my G20 has a HDD or SSD or not. The dealership doesn't know, BMW said it should have, but they don't know how to access it, another 'expert' says it doesn't, but should have!!! My previous G31 had one, and I was able to access it and I did, and put my music onto it. Could it be that I've got one and it's crashed and the option is not showing up on iDrive or has it never had one? If it never has, can one be retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #8
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Starting with model year 2021 there is no internal storage space for the user to play music from (and doesn't show in iDrive). When playing from USB, the car stores (caches) playlists and information from music files (like album art etc) from up to 5 (or so) USB memories.
The car for sure has a storage device to store also the 30GB navigation maps I can load, but I don't know if it is mechanical or solid state.

(Side note: I use one USB memory, but have 7 of them in a round-robin sequence, to force it to read the updated information. Otherwise it uses old cached data.)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 02:58 AM   #9
KoolioDaddio
Beemer owner/driver for 25years
Rep
Drives: M340i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Starting with model year 2021 there is no internal storage space for the user to play music from (and doesn't show in iDrive). When playing from USB, the car stores (caches) playlists and information from music files (like album art etc) from up to 5 (or so) USB memories.
The car for sure has a storage device to store also the 30GB navigation maps I can load, but I don't know if it is mechanical or solid state.

(Side note: I use one USB memory, but have 7 of them in a round-robin sequence, to force it to read the updated information. Otherwise it uses old cached data.)
Thank you G22b58... that explains it all. Now I understand why changing the USB card containing music does odd things. I thought it might be caching something somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #10
jb2005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

HDD is becoming less and less important because they are migrating towards chip storage to save costs and improve reliability.
Appreciate 0