Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Anyone got a G20 with Lex?

08-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Anyone got a G20 with Lex?

My 330e order (mineral gray msport with driving assist and park pro) got to the dealer today, and I got all the bumf through, including a statement about how they force disable all the connected drive stuff.

Anyone run a current gen 3 series through them and know how much you're able to access? Im mainly interested in the charge control, pre heating and sending sat Nov destination to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Can't help with Lex unfortunately but why would they disable connected drive anyway?

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Jebk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Can't help with Lex unfortunately but why would they disable connected drive anyway?
Apparently they disable some of the connected services because they can't just do the bits about recovery, servicing etc.

Sounds a load of bollocks, and I'll be trying to put it back with esys once I have it, but wondered about some owners experiences.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
Quote:
Apparently they disable some of the connected services because they can't just do the bits about recovery, servicing etc.

Sounds a load of bollocks, and I'll be trying to put it back with esys once I have it, but wondered about some owners experiences.
So, I had a Merc c300h back in 2015 and Lex did the same thing. Basically disabled "Mercedes Me" so I couldn't access any of the app/remote capabilities (lock/unlock the doors, location, fuel level, servicing requirements etc). They claimed it was something to do with privacy and tracking. But the Command media system worked fine, it still did traffic with live updates, weather etc. from the built-in 3/4G SIM. I pushed really hard to get it enabled but no joy.

My 330e is through Arval (due late Sept) but I'll be pretty annoyed if they've disabled the stuff too. Will check with the dealer now...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So, I had a Merc c300h back in 2015 and Lex did the same thing. Basically disabled "Mercedes Me" so I couldn't access any of the app/remote capabilities (lock/unlock the doors, location, fuel level, servicing requirements etc). They claimed it was something to do with privacy and tracking. But the Command media system worked fine, it still did traffic with live updates, weather etc. from the built-in 3/4G SIM. I pushed really hard to get it enabled but no joy.

My 330e is through Arval (due late Sept) but I'll be pretty annoyed if they've disabled the stuff too. Will check with the dealer now...
Gosh, that is poor - disabling the Mercedes Me, I use mine a lot and also the BMW Connected for our other car. The Mercedes Me has contacted me in a shop to tell me I had left the car unlocked and I could then lock via my iPhone. Fortunately our fleet company, Ogilvie, had not disabled it.

I would have thought the 330e will need it even more, with BMW suggesting you pre heating the battery before using the car , setting it via the app. i hope you get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gosh, that is poor - disabling the Mercedes Me, I use mine a lot and also the BMW Connected for our other car. The Mercedes Me has contacted me in a shop to tell me I had left the car unlocked and I could then lock via my iPhone. Fortunately our fleet company, Ogilvie, had not disabled it.

I would have thought the 330e will need it even more, with BMW suggesting you pre heating the battery before using the car , setting it via the app. i hope you get it sorted
Yeah, the fact that it wasn't mentioned anywhere until I tried to register when the car arrived and then I get "oh yeah, well we disabled that, you can't use it". Should have been flagged before order time. I have an unfortunate feeling Arval might do the same... Will do a general non-330e post and see if anyone else can comment...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:59 AM   #7
Jebk
Private
Rep

Quote:

I've a while for it to arrive yet (end of November provisional). Things like timing the charge directly hit your cost as well.

Especially shitty they've let a colleague order with comfort access, and I expect disabled the app key which is 95% of the point.

I'm hoping they've somehow just tweaked it in esys or don't supply a sim, which should make it easier to get back up and running.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've a while for it to arrive yet (end of November provisional). Things like timing the charge directly hit your cost as well.

Especially shitty they've let a colleague order with comfort access, and I expect disabled the app key which is 95% of the point.

I'm hoping they've somehow just tweaked it in esys or don't supply a sim, which should make it easier to get back up and running.
Dealer told me this morning that Arval DO NOT ask them to disable the Connectivity functions.

For Mercedes Me you had to register via an app but the dealer has to put the car into the Mercedes Me system on delivery, it isn't done by default at the factory. Basically the supplying dealer wouldn't do it, on instruction from Lex. I even tried my local dealer and they wouldn't do it either (as all I could produce was a V5 which referenced Lex as the owner). So you can create an account but despite entering the VIN it doesn't link to anything. Pants...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 05:42 AM   #9
Jebk
Private
Rep

Interesting. I've asked lex for some answers but fully expecting another copy of the same resoonse.

Another argument to keep campaigning for a cash option at work I guess!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #10
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I've asked lex for some answers but fully expecting another copy of the same resoonse.

Another argument to keep campaigning for a cash option at work I guess!
That's really bloody annoying. Hope someone with a Lex managed car can provide more help on what you can/can't do.

So you don't have an option to take cash instead?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

Quote:
That's really bloody annoying. Hope someone with a Lex managed car can provide more help on what you can/can't do.

I’ve got a Lex leased Audi Q5 and just before delivery I got an email saying the connected services would be disabled with the reason given that they didn’t want servicing MOTs etc to go through the cars connection.

The car arrived, and I connected it up and haven’t had any issues. There was no dealer interaction required though. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the intelligence to book any servicing through Lex without them having to cripple the cars functionality.

This really is a bad tactic from the leasing companies to cripple modern cars intelligence, and they only tell you when you’re about to take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post
Quote:

I've got a Lex leased Audi Q5 and just before delivery I got an email saying the connected services would be disabled with the reason given that they didn't want servicing MOTs etc to go through the cars connection.

The car arrived, and I connected it up and haven't had any issues. There was no dealer interaction required though. I'm pretty sure I've got the intelligence to book any servicing through Lex without them having to cripple the cars functionality.

This really is a bad tactic from the leasing companies to cripple modern cars intelligence, and they only tell you when you're about to take delivery.
Sounds like Audi didn't have the ability to disable the connected services perhaps? As you say it's a piss poor customer experience. Luckily my company ditched Lex for Arval back in 2015 so although the rates aren't quite as competitive Arval don't mess with anything. I wonder how much business Lex have lost from this Luddite policy??

I'm sorry Sir, you can't start your Tesla because we've disabled connected features. Yes, you still have to pay the lease. Have a nice day... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Jebk
Private
Rep

Just had an answer back from lex, apparently despite still having the policy posted they're not actually planning on disabling anything, at least on my car (G20 330e).

So good news!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just had an answer back from lex, apparently despite still having the policy posted they're not actually planning on disabling anything, at least on my car (G20 330e).

So good news!
Brilliant! Not being able to pre-condition the battery, warm/cool the car, check on charge levels, enable/disable charge etc. would have removed a lot of usefulness.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

I have a 2016 F36 all mine work, currently my G21 is on order due 28th Oct hope nothing is stopped in that
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #16
Franko666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
Brilliant! Not being able to pre-condition the battery, warm/cool the car, check on charge levels, enable/disable charge etc. would have removed a lot of usefulness.
Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
Don't think warming the car is available in UK.
All I can do is cool the car.
The option in idrive7 to preheat the car is not available in my car.
      09-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #17
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
That's a bit annoying, was looking forward to getting into a warm and defrosted car when winter comes... :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

I’ve currently got a Mercedes C220d through Arval and they blocked Mercedes Me access. It’s not just Lex.

Got a 330e on order and presuming they will be doing the same with this one too.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #19
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
Quote:
Quote:

So good news!
That's a bit annoying, was looking forward to getting into a warm and defrosted car when winter comes... :-)
Definitely warms the car on a cold morning, including putting the heated seats on :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #20
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
I’ve currently got a Mercedes C220d through Arval and they blocked Mercedes Me access. It’s not just Lex.

Got a 330e on order and presuming they will be doing the same with this one too.
Mines with Arval and nothing has been blocked. The service from BMW is a little hit and miss at times (seems to go offline now and then) but otherwise all services work.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #21
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
Mines with Arval and nothing has been blocked. The service from BMW is a little hit and miss at times (seems to go offline now and then) but otherwise all services work.
Fingers crossed! That’s exciting if so. Won’t find out till 13th December though!
I’m just excited for the preheat function if it’s plugged in 🤣

Were you able to download and activate the connected drive app etc?
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #22
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Quote:
Fingers crossed! That’s exciting if so. Won’t find out till 13th December though!
I’m just excited for the preheat function if it’s plugged in ��

Were you able to download and activate the connected drive app etc?
Yep! The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the efficiency tab on the Connected Drive website where it is meant to show your MPG, electric usage etc. It's just blank. Only way to get this is via iDrive. I've submitted an enhancement request to allow the Connected Drive App to show this info, can't be that hard :-)

Pre-heat/cool also works when it's not plugged in BTW :-) As long as the battery isn't run down.

Last edited by tricky6; 11-10-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0